Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Obama Doctrine

3 posters

Go down

The Obama Doctrine Empty The Obama Doctrine

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 pm

The president has placed some huge bets. Last May, as he was trying to move the Iran nuclear deal through Congress, I told him that the agreement was making me nervous. His response was telling. “Look, 20 years from now, I’m still going to be around, God willing. If Iran has a nuclear weapon, it’s my name on this,” he said. “I think it’s fair to say that in addition to our profound national-security interests, I have a personal interest in locking this down.”

In the matter of the Syrian regime and its Iranian and Russian sponsors, Obama has bet, and seems prepared to continue betting, that the price of direct U.S. action would be higher than the price of inaction. And he is sanguine enough to live with the perilous ambiguities of his decisions. Though in his Nobel Peace Prize speech in 2009, Obama said, “Inaction tears at our conscience and can lead to more costly intervention later,” today the opinions of humanitarian interventionists do not seem to move him, at least not publicly. He undoubtedly knows that a next-generation Samantha Power will write critically of his unwillingness to do more to prevent the continuing slaughter in Syria. (For that matter, Samantha Power will also be the subject of criticism from the next Samantha Power.) As he comes to the end of his presidency, Obama believes he has done his country a large favor by keeping it out of the maelstrom—and he believes, I suspect, that historians will one day judge him wise for having done so.
“The central argument is that by keeping America from immersing itself in the crises of the Middle East, the foreign-policy establishment believes that the president is precipitating our decline,” Ben Rhodes told me. “But the president himself takes the opposite view, which is that overextension in the Middle East will ultimately harm our economy, harm our ability to look for other opportunities and to deal with other challenges, and, most important, endanger the lives of American service members for reasons that are not in the direct American national-security interest.”

If you are a supporter of the president, his strategy makes eminent sense: Double down in those parts of the world where success is plausible, and limit America’s exposure to the rest. His critics believe, however, that problems like those presented by the Middle East don’t solve themselves—that, without American intervention, they metastasize.

At the moment, Syria, where history appears to be bending toward greater chaos, poses the most direct challenge to the president’s worldview.

George W. Bush was also a gambler, not a bluffer. He will be remembered harshly for the things he did in the Middle East. Barack Obama is gambling that he will be judged well for the things he didn’t do
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

Pretty long, but a good read.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

The Obama Doctrine Empty Re: The Obama Doctrine

Post by Hellsangel Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:16 pm

That is rich! Inaction from a President who accuses the British Prime Minister of inaction, Comrade.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:05 pm

thanks for posting this. tom ashbrook interviewed the author this morning on his onpoint program. obama is definitely a departure from recent american presidents. i admire him deeply for resisting the urge to use american military power as a solution to all and sundry problems in the middle east. twenty five years later, i am positive most americans, and not just his current ardent supporters, will look back at this president with deep admiration for his wisdom and intellect.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:05 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:thanks for posting this. tom ashbrook interviewed the author this morning on his onpoint program. obama is definitely a departure from recent american presidents. i admire him deeply for resisting the urge to use american military power as a solution to all and sundry problems in the middle east. twenty five years later, i am positive most americans, and not just his current ardent supporters, will look back at this president with deep admiration for his wisdom and intellect.
Considering the amount of vitriol and venom you display towards Ronald Reagan(almost as much as you do towards North Indians), I doubt the other side will let up anytime soon.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down