Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

controversy over india's history erupts in california

+4
Vakavaka Pakapaka
southindian
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

controversy over india's history erupts in california Empty controversy over india's history erupts in california

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 06, 2016 7:21 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us/debate-erupts-over-californias-india-history-curriculum.html?_r=0

californians -- please write your state legislators petitioning them to continue calling our history, indian history.
we are NOT south asians. i have personally never identified with that term.

to KV -- please don't piggyback on this thread to push your ideas (many of which i subscribe to incidentally.
this is not the place for it. please start your own threads).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

controversy over india's history erupts in california Empty Re: controversy over india's history erupts in california

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2016 7:26 am

the term 'south asian' would also include sri lankans many of who are ethnic tamilians.

Back to top Go down

controversy over india's history erupts in california Empty Re: controversy over india's history erupts in california

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 06, 2016 7:30 am

Rashmun wrote:the term 'south asian' would also include sri lankans many of who are ethnic tamilians.

tamil took birth in india and india is the ancestral home of all tamilians.
i don't much care for the hindu foundation of america and the rest of their agenda, but i wouldn't like the history of my ancestors and culture glossed over and nebulized by rolling it into people of other regions. i am with prof hansen that the caste system should be discussed as part of india's and hinduism's history, but i don't agree with him that the term "indian history" should be changed to "south asian" history.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 06, 2016 7:37 am

Old news. RE posted about this a while back.

[size=33]https://such.forumotion.com/t36338-petition-to-oppose-a-ridiculous-proposal-by-cbe[/size]
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 06, 2016 7:41 am

Hellsangel wrote:Old news. RE posted about this a while back.

[size=33]https://such.forumotion.com/t36338-petition-to-oppose-a-ridiculous-proposal-by-cbe[/size]

maybe, but the article i posted is two days old. the post that RE linked to is a petition. the NYT article lays down who the players are, and describes the warp and woof of the controversy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us/debate-erupts-over-californias-india-history-curriculum.html?_r=0

californians -- please write your state legislators petitioning them to continue calling our history, indian history.

to KV -- please don't piggyback on this thread to push your ideas (many of which i subscribe to incidentally.
Good one Max

The Hindu American Foundation
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri May 06, 2016 8:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:the term 'south asian' would also include sri lankans many of who are ethnic tamilians.

i don't much care for the hindu foundation of america and the rest of their agenda, but i wouldn't like the history of my ancestors and culture glossed over and nebulized by rolling it into people of other regions. i am with prof hansen that the caste system should be discussed as part of india's and hinduism's history, but i don't agree with him that the term "indian history" should be changed to "south asian" history.
What is your evidence that Tamil took birth in India?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 06, 2016 9:11 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

continuous references in inscriptions, and long recorded literary references to names and places that can be readily identified as indian places. that and occam's razor. there is no language similar to tamil spoken anywhere else outside the indian subcontinent, barring very modern migrations.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2016 9:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

continuous references in inscriptions, and long recorded literary references to names and places that can be readily identified as indian places. that and occam's razor. there is no language similar to tamil spoken anywhere else outside the indian subcontinent, barring very modern migrations.

Max what do you think of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumari_Kandam

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 07, 2016 9:54 am

>>> to KV -- please don't piggyback on this thread to push your ideas (many of which i subscribe to incidentally.
''
I told you, I am unable to create new threads. or contact Carvaka or quote people.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 07, 2016 9:59 am

>>> i don't agree with him that the term "indian history" should be changed to "south asian" history.

I am happy with the term South Asian history. Tamil Tribune uses it often, I also use in some threads.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sat May 07, 2016 10:12 am

Power of the liberal /secular lobby is increasing.  One day they will destroy India!

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat May 07, 2016 5:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us/debate-erupts-over-californias-india-history-curriculum.html?_r=0

in modern history, the term indian has been one of the most misused as in native indian, indian ink, west indian, and ahem...south indian and such  Wink ;

given this imposed constraint, what is a fitting alternative with some distinction?  I am curious whether you or anyone else has suggestions - east indian is taken, already.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 07, 2016 10:24 pm

ashdoc wrote:Power of the liberal /secular lobby is increasing.  One day they will destroy India!

This is the work of anti-hindu, anti-india, and pro-islami groups from PakiSatan, Beggardesh all joinung together for their individual agenda.

i think the rape and conversion of hindus by muslims/Mughals and caste divisions among muslims and christians should also be discussed if South Asian history is made into history.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 07, 2016 11:21 pm

South Asian history should include the Third Academy (3rd Sangam) and three dynastyies, Inperian Chola dynasty, EVR. Annadurai, LTTE and the Commander.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 07, 2016 11:26 pm

This is a serious question. Don't post flip answers.

Is there a website describing what is happening? How can I send my input to the concerned people?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 08, 2016 12:20 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:South Asian history should include the Third Academy (3rd Sangam) and three dynastyies, Inperian Chola dynasty, EVR. Annadurai, LTTE and the Commander.

Yes i agree... These two decimated a whole generation of SL Tamils and just people study about Hitler and his SS, ppl should also study about these two.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun May 08, 2016 9:39 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:South Asian history should include the Third Academy (3rd Sangam) and three dynastyies, Inperian Chola dynasty, EVR. Annadurai, LTTE and the Commander.

Yes i agree... These two decimated a whole generation of SL Tamils and just people study about Hitler and his SS, ppl should also study about these two.

aiyaiyO..sAmiyaarE..you forgot to include the DK head of a special interest group, Sir Menses Sapna of EVR's anti-brahmin movement, who has volunteered so much butt is currently suffering from PTSD, enriched in nightmares of brahmin women beating him into a pulp.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down