Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gujarat: In search of equality, Dalits convert to Buddhism

Go down

Gujarat: In search of equality, Dalits convert to Buddhism Empty Gujarat: In search of equality, Dalits convert to Buddhism

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:05 am

Two years after 5,000 Dalits converted to Buddhism in Junagadh in Gujarat, 90 Dalits embraced Buddhism at a programme organised by the Gujarat Buddhist Academy in Dholka town of Ahmedabad district on Thursday. The Dalits, who come from Ahmedabad’s Jivraj Park area, include 27-year-old Bhamini Delwadia, an MBA, who belongs to the Scheduled Caste (SC)...

“I believe in equality for all and do not find it in Hinduism. And I believe in the ideals of Dr Ambedkar, who himself converted to Buddhism while shedding Hinduism. So, following in his footsteps, we have adopted Buddhism today,” says Bhamini. Bhamini’s IIM post-graduate husband Kunal and his parents — Abhilash and Hiraben — and brother Rahul also converted to Buddhism during the function.

Hemlata Sonara (20) from Dholka is among the nine women who converted to Buddhism. She is pursuing her Masters in Arts from HK Arts College in Ahmedabad. “Hinduism is full of superstitions. And the principles of independence and equality for all are lacking in it. Plus, I am attracted towards Buddhism since it is a religion entirely based on the scientific approach. Also, it gives a great emphasis on women’s education,” Hemlata says.

Jatin Makwana (28), another convert, says, “I have learnt a lot from Buddhism. It’s a religion full of equality which is in stark contrast to Hinduism. Being a Dalit, wherever you go, people ask for your caste and then discriminate against you. In Buddhism, there is no such hierarchy, all are equals.”

“So, it is better to follow a religion which practises equality than the one in which one gets humiliated on caste lines,” adds Jatin, who works as a lab assistant at a pathology laboratory in Dholka.

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/ahmedabad/conversion-in-search-of-equality-education-90-dalits-embrace-buddhism/

Back to top Go down