Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep

3 posters

Go down

Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep Empty Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep Sleeping-story_647_081516055348

Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep Kejriwal-sleeping_647_081516055021

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/independence-day-prime-minister-narendra-modi-pm-modi-arvind-kejriwal-bjp/1/741019.html

----
Getting up early in the morning only to sit for a rather long speech can’t be easy. We understand. But when the person delivering the speech is the country’s Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, the occasion is Independence Day, the location Red Fort and the audience includes dignitaries with the sharp eyes of the media on you at all times… nodding off isn’t the greatest of ideas.
Clips and photos from the video footage of the PM’s speech on Independence Day were widely shared on social media platforms – and a couple of people fared a bit poorly – especially Finance Minister Arun Jaitely, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who were all photographed with their eyes tightly shut...

http://indianexpress.com/article/trending/trending-in-india/dhyan-mudra-heres-what-tweeple-had-to-say-when-arvind-kejriwal-arun-jaitley-manohar-parrikar-grabbed-quick-naps-during-pm-modis-independence-day-speech-2976751/

Back to top Go down

Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep Empty Re: Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Did that fellow speak in Hindi? If so he is verifying it is Hindian independence day.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep Empty Re: Narendra Modi's "boring" I-Day speech puts everyone to sleep

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 am

The following news shall brighten up the day for you both,
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/olympics/chinas-fu-yuanhui-breaks-taboo-by-admitting-she-was-on-her-period/ar-BBvFY5I
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Did that fellow speak in Hindi? If so he is verifying it is Hindian independence day.
Now reply with Upadhyay's other ID.....
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:01 pm

This was a different speech because this is a different Modi. This Modi is unsure of the way forward. He is under-confident, not over-confident. He has been pushed by circumstances into altering his plans for his first five years in office, and it shows. He is alarmed by constant reports of disappointment with his governance in the areas he most needs to win in 2019. This speech was not up to Modi's usual standards, because it was defensive. It was like watching Sehwag trying to pad the ball away for 90 minutes.

Consider what Modi said for a moment. It was a disconnected, disjointed speech in large part, but if there was one common theme it was this: I know I have promised a lot, this is what I have delivered, and I will deliver the rest, too. He accepted that changing things on the ground is significantly tougher than making an announcement in New Delhi. He listed various things that his government had done - and this time fewer of them were exaggerated than in the past....

The defensive nature of the speech was also why it felt slightly disjointed. It seemed comprised of disconnected little sections - this bit addressed to farmers, this bit to young people, and so on. He felt the need it seemed to cover all the bases and address specific groups rather than the country at large. This again appeared under-confident and gave the impression of a speech written by committee (every Secretary to the government sending in two paragraphs?) rather than one which had the PM's stamp all over it, as many of his more extemporaneous ones do.

The section on prices seemed particularly defensive and unpersuasive. That wasn't surprising. After all, news had just come in last week that inflation was at a two-year high. How do you deal with that fact? A Prime Minister can hardly assure the people that prices are not, in fact, increasing at 6 percent when they are. They know this better than he does.

And that's the basic problem with Modi playing defence like this. I find it difficult to believe that a politician can tell the electorate that things are swiftly getting better will be believed unless the electorate sees evidence for that themselves. Modi is at his best spinning a poetic vision of the future, less so prosaically defending considerably more limited accomplishments.

Either way, it's clear now that the government is in election more. The Uttar Pradesh elections are ever closer; and once they're done, there's Gujarat, and then we're into the run-up to 2019. We had better prepare for endless defences of the Modi record. Still, there's good news in there too. At least it seems the Prime Minister has decided to defend his development record rather than give that up as too difficult to win a second mandate with and switch to something else.

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/why-modis-august-15-speech-was-so-disappointing-1444624?pfrom=home-topstories

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down