Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a good english retelling of the mahabharatha

Go down

a good english retelling of the mahabharatha Empty a good english retelling of the mahabharatha

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:53 pm

please recommend one that avoids:

-- an excessively sermonizing tone not clearly separating the original text from the author's own value system (rajagopalachari)
-- randomly changes events and places (william buck)
-- a somewhat dry narration (r.k.narayan)

thanks.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

a good english retelling of the mahabharatha Empty Re: a good english retelling of the mahabharatha

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:09 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Palace-Illusions-Chitra-Banerjee-Divakaruni/dp/1400096200/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325361545&sr=8-1

"The palace of illusions" by Chitra Benarjee Devakaruni-This has been highly recommended by a friend. She had it in her (all women) bookclub and everyone simply loved it. I am yet to read it. Planning to do it soon. It's Mahabharata told from Draupadi's viewpoint. Don't know how appealing it would be for men, esp indian men. Draupadi is the woman we indian women admire the most (no, it's not Sita. She is far from our admiration). So it's no wonder that many women seem to be impressed by the novel.

Back to top Go down

a good english retelling of the mahabharatha Empty Re: a good english retelling of the mahabharatha

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:30 pm

i don't like divakaruni. i've read her short stories before and she has a rather monochromatic view of indian men as spoiled mama's boys with no redeeming qualities.

incidentally, for a draupadi (panchAli)-centric version of the core of the mahabharatha i've found no equal to subramania bharathi's epic poem, pAnchAli sabatham. unfortunately it is not accessible to non-tamilians.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down