Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ayappa was born through V-S (Vishnu-Shiva) synthesis

Go down

Ayappa was born through V-S (Vishnu-Shiva) synthesis Empty Ayappa was born through V-S (Vishnu-Shiva) synthesis

Post by Guest Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:36 am

Although hinduism is fairly uniform all through India, there are some important differences between the hinduism practiced in different parts of the country.

To illustrate this point, i am giving only one example (there are many others).

there is a hindu god called Ayappa. he is practically unknown in North India, but he is very well known in South India.

His father is Shiva, and in some way his mother is Vishnu (in the form of Mohini). When Vishnu told Shiva of how he had handled the problem of distributing the amrita which was produced after the samudra manthan, Shiva asked Vishnu to reveal his Mohini form. On seeing Mohini, Shiva got aroused and started running after her, however Vishnu/Mohini managed to run away. Being in an aroused state, some of Shiva's semen fell on the earth while he was running and this gave rise to Ayappa.

I recall on the old sulekha forum someone (not me) had started a thread on this topic with the title 'Gay element in Hinduism'.

Back to top Go down