Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Colbert to run for President?

3 posters

Go down

Stephen Colbert to run for President? Empty Stephen Colbert to run for President?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:18 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/13/stephen-colbert-president-super-pac-jon-stewart

Back to top Go down

Stephen Colbert to run for President? Empty Re: Stephen Colbert to run for President?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 pm

this is not news. happens once every four years.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Stephen Colbert to run for President? Empty Re: Stephen Colbert to run for President?

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Like Ron Paul.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Like Ron Paul.

except he is getting more than usual traction this time.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Rashmun,

I have mixed feelings about this. I like Stephen Colbert and his quirky sense of humor..since I have used delectable a lot recently- will refrain from saying it..he is awfully cute and his self-deprecation is really funny at times.

However, I take the political process seriously (does not take much to remember the struggles women and minorities had to go through to get voting rights). In the name of humor, cynicism and boosting TV ratings- hope comedians don't make too light of the process..and seriously affect/tamper/distort it. If Colbert want to run, he should seriously run in any party he wishes- and try to make a difference, imo.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Maria S wrote:Rashmun,

I have mixed feelings about this. I like Stephen Colbert and his quirky sense of humor..since I have used delectable a lot recently- will refrain from saying it..he is awfully cute and his self-deprecation is really funny at times.

However, I take the political process seriously (does not take much to remember the struggles women and minorities had to go through to get voting rights). In the name of humor, cynicism and boosting TV ratings- hope comedians don't make too light of the process..and seriously affect/tamper/distort it. If Colbert want to run, he should seriously run in any party he wishes- and try to make a difference, imo.

i too take the political process seriously but i found this a lot more offensive:

https://such.forumotion.com/t4228-getting-slammed-for-knowing-french

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Rashmun,

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I guess they think Southern voters in the 21st Century - are ignorant or hate "foreign" anything..and are threatened by it! If anything the South quite multicultural and more tolerant (for goodness sakes,their Gov is- Nikki Haley who has sprinkled her star dust on Mr. Romney too!)

Having said that..there may be a few voters who are looking for an excuse not to vote for him..and may see him as rich and elite- that's about it.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Maria S wrote:Rashmun,

If anything the South quite multicultural and more tolerant (for goodness sakes,their Gov is- Nikki Haley who has sprinkled her star dust on Mr. Romney too!)

both indian americans who have been politically successful in the south have had to undergo quite an extreme transformation involving forsaking the faith they were born into besides distancing themselves from their ethnicity. so that kind of success comes at a cost.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:37 pm

True, it does come with a price.

People are always skeptical of religious conversions (esp. Indians).To me as a Christian- Pres. Obama's adult Christian baptism by choice is a far more "true conversion- transformation"..but, it was accepted more easily.

I think it would be harder for an Indian American Christian (if religion is the only reason) man or esp. woman to elected Gov. of any state in any other region other than the South- in the US. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for that to happen!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down