Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laxman's most un-Laxman innings

+4
MaxEntropy_Man
Another Brick
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
confuzzled dude
8 posters

Go down

Laxman's most un-Laxman innings Empty Laxman's most un-Laxman innings

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:39 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2011/content/current/story/549433.html

I don't know if this is the last time I have seen VVS Laxman bat. He has never surprised me so, that much I can say. I have never seen him so passive at the crease.
Today was about as an un-Laxman-like innings you will get. I have seen
Laxman in form worse than this, but infinitely more strong-willed. In
Sri Lanka in 2008, when all of India's middle order failed against
Ajantha Mendis and Muttiah Muralitharan, Laxman did too, but not
passively. He wasn't reading which way Mendis was turning the ball, but
at one point he made up his mind that he was going to whip everything to
the leg side. He scored 56, 21, 39, 13, 25 and 61 not out. There was a
lot to like about that effort.

-> couldn't agree more, very well written article

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Laxman's most un-Laxman innings Empty Re: Laxman's most un-Laxman innings

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

I think this is the end of VVSL. he has played his last innings/test of his career.

Dravid's will be decided over the next 3 hours.

SRT will play until his son is established in test cricket.

India will be back to the 60s form for a while.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I think this is the end of VVSL. he has played his last innings/test of his career.

I think so, Last series if not last test.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:40 am

it is unfortunate that laxman is being targeted to an extent that he is being asked to retire. i would have liked to see rohit sharma play in his place in the next test but would have liked laxman to play one more series in india and bid a farewell in kolkata where he played the most significant innings by an indian. if anyone who should be dropped pronto then it is sehwag and dhobi. here are the averages in this series so far -

laxman - 17
The Idiot Opener - 19
Captain (bleeding from the front) - 17
Dravid - 28
Gambhir - 24
SRT - 41

i see no reason to persist with sehwag and dhobi. so, if they are going to change the playing XI in the next match, sehwag must go. play rahane in his place.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 am

number #1 on my list of players to drop from the test team is none other than captain not-so- courageous. he needs to go until he can find some decent batting technique. parthiv patel has way better technique than him and i think is a better man behind the stumps too. i think gambhir is ready to don the captain's hat.

i've always said he is the luckiest man to captain india and was never convinced that this unorthodox helicopter shot technique will survive against some high quality bowling, and he has been found out and stands exposed. the emperor is naked; someone at the BCCI needs to tell him that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:number #1 on my list of players to drop from the test team is none other than captain not-so- courageous. he needs to go until he can find some decent batting technique. parthiv patel has way better technique than him and i think is a better man behind the stumps too. i think gambhir is ready to don the captain's hat.

i've always said he is the luckiest man to captain india and was never convinced that this unorthodox helicopter shot technique will survive against some high quality bowling, and he has been found out and stands exposed. the emperor is naked; someone at the BCCI needs to tell him that.

In the last 2 years, Gambhir has the worst batting average among the top order batsmen, averaging a mere 32 in 20 odd tests with just 1 ton against Bangladesh. He is one lucky dude, spared, as big 3 has been taking all the heat for recent failures.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

One can make a very reasonable case to drop each one of Indian stalwarts including SRT based on last 7 away tests. Parthiv was given a chance in five odis and comes up empty, Rahane did not press his case with 3 poor innings in this series.

For next test, sehwag and laxman can sit out and allow rahane and rohit a chance. Vinay for ashwin is a near certainty.

Once India goes back to India, life is good with tons of options.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:15 pm

ODI and tonty tonty not equal to test cricket. that it is not so has been conclusively shown by the spectacular failure of captain not-so-courageous. i think parthiv should be given a run and dhoni should be kicked out.

gambhir is the best bet as captain despite what mucho says. there isn't a whole lot of choice here.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:45 pm

truthbetold wrote: One can make a very reasonable case to drop each one of Indian stalwarts including SRT based on last 7 away tests. Parthiv was given a chance in five odis and comes up empty, Rahane did not press his case with 3 poor innings in this series.

For next test, sehwag and laxman can sit out and allow rahane and rohit a chance. Vinay for ashwin is a near certainty.

Once India goes back to India, life is good with tons of options.

They should be given a long rope just not a test or two, give them at least 2 test series (6+ tests) to prove their mettle. That's the only way forward. However, I'm concerned with youngsters lack of motivation. Raina, Rohit & Kohli were all known for their excellent fielding abilities look at them now after participating in a couple of IPL seasons and huge contracts, they all look chubby, disinterested to take a dive on the grass.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:15 pm

C dude,

Money should help professional player. It should make him work harder to climb that extra inch to keep the lead. However, In Indian system, there may be a perception, once you made it, there is no more work to be done.

SRT and Dravid continued to work to seperate them from others. Yuv raj, Rohit became fat and lost edge. Kohli still seems to maintain his physique. These youngsters must be afraid that new guys will come and steal their place.

In terms of tests for a new comer, away series is more important. Expect lot failures and give them chance to analyze and improve.

Raina, Rohit, pujara, rahane and Kohli will be given lot of chances.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:55 am

Laxman is the youngest of the big 3 and he is not the only batsman who has failed recently. Why single him out and ask for his retirement? Let Lord Distractkar retire first. His quest for the elusive 100th 100 has undoubtedly distracted the team. In 2 important series he has failed to score a century. He better retire now and not burden the team with his endless quest for personal records. Sehwag needs to retire yesterday. Dhobi should have retired after the third test in England. Gambhir's long term prospects at test level aren't looking good either.
So yeah, there is a long list of non performers whose retirement should be discussed first before asking Laxman to retire.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Bur, Laxman will be the first to go as he is the easiest to drop. Unless, he has mohinder and Srikant sticking out for him, he may be the sacrificial goat. My hope is that he gets his last chance at Adelide, and he scores a century and announces retirement. That will deprive all his critics a hammer to beat him up.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Bur, Laxman will be the first to go as he is the easiest to drop. Unless, he has mohinder and Srikant sticking out for him, he may be the sacrificial goat. My hope is that he gets his last chance at Adelide, and he scores a century and announces retirement. That will deprive all his critics a hammer to beat him up.

I really doubt if any of our players know when to retire.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 pm

They know very well when to retire - NEVER.

A place in the team is a necessity for many to earn their millions outside. They have become true Indians.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

I really doubt if any of our players know when to retire.

you're forgetting india's greatest bowler ever.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:15 am

nevada wrote:Laxman is the youngest of the big 3 and he is not the only batsman who has failed recently. Why single him out and ask for his retirement? Let Lord Distractkar retire first. His quest for the elusive 100th 100 has undoubtedly distracted the team. In 2 important series he has failed to score a century. He better retire now and not burden the team with his endless quest for personal records. Sehwag needs to retire yesterday. Dhobi should have retired after the third test in England. Gambhir's long term prospects at test level aren't looking good either.
So yeah, there is a long list of non performers whose retirement should be discussed first before asking Laxman to retire.

i agree that laxman should be asked to play some more but SRT and dravid should not retire either. let's not forget that SRT's 99th came against SA in the world cup, and IND won QF, SF and the final despite him being in the team and lost all the shorter formats in ENG when he wasn't in the team. IND's performance has got nothing to do with this 'milestone'.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 am

Sachin Tendulkar is an icon ..modest and capable. there are a few comments here that are so anti Indian and anti sachin ,..its a bloody shame .

Are you people really cricket buffs or just want to tear people up ..people you dont like ?
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 pm

chameli wrote:Sachin Tendulkar is an icon ..modest and capable. there are a few comments here that are so anti Indian and anti sachin ,..its a bloody shame .

Are you people really cricket buffs or just want to tear people up ..people you dont like ?

Are those two synonymous? Thankfully this aint Fox News.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 pm

chameli wrote:Sachin Tendulkar is an icon ..modest and capable. there are a few comments here that are so anti Indian and anti sachin ,..its a bloody shame .

Yes he is very much capableand modest. The question is when does he raise to occasion when India badly needs him? Will it be after he retires?

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Are those two synonymous? Thankfully this aint Fox News.

LOLu * 100 (in honor of that much anticipated ton).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down