Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R K Laxman

2 posters

Go down

R K Laxman Empty R K Laxman

Post by Guest Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:49 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/Cartoonist-R-K-Laxman-critical-in-hospital/articleshow/45934566.cms

PUNE: Eminent cartoonist R K Laxman is in a critical condition after being admitted to Deenanath Mangeshkar hospital here for urinary tract infection and kidney failure on Saturday.

The 94-year-old Laxman, famous for his You Said It pocket cartoon in TOI featuring the much-loved 'common man', was put on ventilator support. "He had severe urinary tract infection following which he developed kidney failure, sepsis and then multi-organ failure," said the hospital.

Back to top Go down

R K Laxman Empty Re: R K Laxman

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:02 pm

didn't know he is still alive. i used to like him but lost respect for him when he refused to take bal thackeray on when he was demagoguing against bombay's tamilians because they were buddies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:didn't know he is still alive. i used to like him but lost respect for him when he refused to take bal thackeray on when he was demagoguing against bombay's tamilians because they were buddies.

I remember reading one of his interviews in which he explained that, and it seemed convincing enough.

Was browsing wikipedia for him and his older bro and came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._K._Narayan

His grandmother gave him the nickname of Kunjappa, a name that stuck to him in family circles.[7] She taught him arithmetic, mythology, classical Indian music and Sanskrit.[8] According to his youngest brother R. K. Laxman, the family mostly conversed in English, and grammatical errors on the part of Narayan and his siblings were frowned upon.[9] While living with his grandmother, Narayan studied at a succession of schools in Madras, including the Lutheran Mission School in Purasawalkam,[10] C.R.C. High School, and the Christian College High School.[11] Narayan was an avid reader, and his early literary diet included Dickens, Wodehouse, Arthur Conan Doyle and Thomas Hardy.[12] When he was twelve years old, Narayan participated in a pro-independence march, for which he was reprimanded by his uncle; the family was apolitical and considered all governments wicked.[13]

Guess that had some conditioning on them too.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Love R K LAXMAN.

Growing up, his cartoons were everyday joy for me.

My final 2 weeks of last December was spent watching all episodes of his brother's Malgudi Days.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down