Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz

2 posters

Go down

an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz Empty an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

you may remember that we discussed smoking, in the chat room last night. i had forgotten the title of my blog about my own erstwhile smoking habit. now i remember it: "inhaling knowledge."

it's not about how to quit smoking, but on the quirkiness of my habit, and how, in my case, it was somehow connected to emotional and psychological factors. my blog is over five years old. here it is:

http://flim-flam.sulekha.com/blog/post/2007/04/inhaling-knowledge.htm

i haven't smoked a single cigarette in over fifteen years.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz Empty Re: an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm

some worldwide statistics on the incidence rate (% of population) of smoking around the world:

worldwide average: 22%

united states: 24%

south asia: 12%

an estimate: if the worldwide average number of cigarettes smoked per person per day is 4 (one after each meal + 1), the cigarette consumption worldwide is about

22% of 74% of 7 billion persons x 4 cigs/day/person = 4.6 billion cigs/day or 1.7 trillion cigs/year or 83 billion packs/year.

the annual market value of those cigarettes, at $5.00/pack is, about $416 billion.

note: 52% of 7 billion people because i assumed that gallup surveyed only people who are 18 years old or older, and the 22% incidence rate is that of that sub-population.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz Empty Re: an old blog on the psychological links of smoking - for rekz

Post by Rekz Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 am

Thank you vee...Will surely read it...Thanks again Smile
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:08 am

"who cared what the swirling smoke was doing to my lungs? I was inhaling knowledge into my brain, wasn’t i?"

flimflam

Very Inspiring Razz

Glad you quit..
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down