Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket the great all-rounders

2 posters

Go down

Cricket the great all-rounders Empty Cricket the great all-rounders

Post by Guest Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:25 am

Back to top Go down

Cricket the great all-rounders Empty Re: Cricket the great all-rounders

Post by Guest Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:27 am

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Any discussion of great allrounders without including Gary Sobers and Jacques Kallis is useless.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Any discussion of great allrounders without including Gary Sobers and Jacques Kallis is useless.

Of course, and also this man:

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Hadlee was the best of the allround quartet of his time, and is important because of the individual value he brought to a team short on talent (like Kapil Dev), but by numbers alone he can't hold a candle to Sobers and Kallis.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Hadlee was the best of the allround quartet of his time, and is important because of the individual value he brought to a team short on talent (like Kapil Dev), but by numbers alone he can't hold a candle to Sobers and Kallis.

I consider Sobers to be the greatest all rounder of all time. I am not so sure about Kallis though. Kallis was never a matchwinner. Also the game had changed by the time Kallis came on the scene. Bats started to get a lot better, the rules of the game had changed to favor the batsmen, the cricket ground started becoming a lot smaller, and the helmet and other protective gear started being used which again favored batsmen by removing the fear factor. So even though their batting averages are about the same, I don't consider Kallis to be in the same league as Sobers as far as batsmanship is concerned. And Kallis, like Sobers, was a batting all rounder.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Hadlee was the best of the allround quartet of his time, and is important because of the individual value he brought to a team short on talent (like Kapil Dev), but by numbers alone he can't hold a candle to Sobers and Kallis.

I consider Sobers to be the greatest all rounder of all time. I am not so sure about Kallis though. Kallis was never a matchwinner. Also the game had changed by the time Kallis came on the scene. Bats started to get a lot better, the rules of the game had changed to favor the batsmen, the cricket ground started becoming a lot smaller, and the helmet and other protective gear started being used which again favored batsmen by removing the fear factor. So even though their batting averages are about the same, I don't consider Kallis to be in the same league as Sobers as far as batsmanship is concerned. And Kallis, like Sobers, was a batting all rounder.

That's a fair assessment.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:12 pm

How could you even think of excluding the name of greatest all-rounder Sobers' name from your list of great all-rounder cricketers first time?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:How could you even think of excluding the name of greatest all-rounder Sobers' name from your list of great all-rounder cricketers first time?

because i didn't find any really good Sobers clip for this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:How could you even think of excluding the name of greatest all-rounder Sobers' name from your list of great all-rounder cricketers first time?

just ask anyone who was following international cricket during 1950s to 1970s.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

just ask anyone who was following international cricket during 1950s to 1970s.

u may wish to watch this:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:56 pm

The really sad thing for cricket fans around the world during Sobers' playing days (1960s especially) was that the test series in cricket between West Indies and South Africa (also a very good team then with fine batmen and bowlers) did not take place because of the latter being boycotted in sports due to its apartheid policy.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down