Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gun control efficacy

+2
smArtha
Propagandhi711
6 posters

Go down

gun control efficacy Empty gun control efficacy

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

serious article from a researcher at fivethirtyeight:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

gun control efficacy Empty Re: gun control efficacy

Post by smArtha Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:15 pm

She gave the conclusions but not the data or how they arrived at data and conclusions. So cannot make out anything from that than accept or reject her claims. It is common sense that, any which way an aggressor may attack the victims, making them devoid of guns makes the damage so much less. Guns empower and automatic ones empower outrageously more. Take the case of India.. people can be killed by an enraged individual with a knife or some such weapon that can at best harm about 5 people as opposed to tens or hundreds a Gun wielder can.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:33 pm

I think (personal opinion) there's a huge cultural aspect to this: there's no taboo to killing strangers in america or it has been eroded slowly over the decades.  same way it's not a huge taboo in our part of the world to abort female fetuses or abusing women in general. and in america you have the wherewithall and freedom to push everything to the limit so these things happen.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:I think (personal opinion) there's a huge cultural aspect to this: there's no taboo to killing strangers in america or it has been eroded slowly over the decades.  same way it's not a huge taboo in our part of the world to abort female fetuses or abusing women in general. and in america you have the wherewithall and freedom to push everything to the limit so these things happen.

Isn't that all the more reason for Gun Control. Besides, second amendment can be easily guaranteed by creating an organized people protecting militia (Jana Sena :-)). Seriously, how about a parallel civilian protection armed force that reports into the congressman of the district or Senators of the State. And it is not directly controlled by the Mayors, Governor or President.. not the Govt Executive but the People Reps. Establish that and then ban all guns.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:I think (personal opinion) there's a huge cultural aspect to this: there's no taboo to killing strangers in america or it has been eroded slowly over the decades.  same way it's not a huge taboo in our part of the world to abort female fetuses or abusing women in general. and in america you have the wherewithall and freedom to push everything to the limit so these things happen.

I think it is kinda accepted in America that going on a shooting rampage is a way for frustrated/bored men to give vent to their feelings/frustrations - "shoot up the joint and go down all guns blazing". By "accepted" I am not saying that the public is fine with this. I am saying they expect incidents like these to occur time to time and accept it as a part of life in the US. The deep rooted guns/war culture in this country will never change no matter how many such incidents happen.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:03 pm

meanwhile trump visited vegas and had this to say:

This was a terrible tragedy. Believe me. And this massacre threw off the budget a bit. The budget is terrible now. It will have to be wiped clean. But you only had 59 deaths, you should be proud of that. We've seen worse. Much worse. So all things considered 59 deaths isn't that bad. There was Pompeii, now that's a real, true disaster. So this isn't that bad. But it's bad, believe me, no one feels more sympathy than me. I cried big tears because of this. And thank you to the first responders. I believe Chuck Norris and his Delta Force responded, Judge Dred was here, the Punisher, and someone told me that the Avengers ultimately stopped the carnage. I don't know, that's just what I heard. That's what they told me.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 pm

silvermani wrote:

I think it is kinda accepted in America that going on a shooting rampage is a way for frustrated/bored men to give vent to their feelings/frustrations - "shoot up the joint and go down all guns blazing". By "accepted" I am not saying that the public is fine with this. I am saying they expect incidents like these to occur time to time and accept it as a part of life in the US. The deep rooted guns/war culture in this country will never change no matter how many such incidents happen.

things will start to change if there is some mass attack on reps. until their lives are under serious theat, they see the need to be re-elected as their primary goal

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
silvermani wrote:

things will start to change if there is some mass attack on reps. until their lives are under serious theat, they see the need to be re-elected as their primary goal

I thought that's what happened in DC at the baseball game.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 pm

How Australia controlled its gun related violence... after 1996 incident..
http://abcnews.go.com/International/australian-lawmakers-responded-countrys-deadliest-mass-shooting/story?id=50263959

Despite Australia's long history of hunting and sport, the National Firearms Agreement was passed just weeks after the shooting. The new law instated a national firearm registry and a 28-day waiting period for gun sales, and tightened firearm licensing rules, BBC News reported. It also requires that potential gun owners pass a thorough background check and present a "justifiable reason" for owning a gun.
The agreement also included tougher legislation to restrict rapid-fire weapons from public ownership as well as a provision for a temporary gun buyback program of the newly outlawed guns.
By 2015, more than 1 million semi-automatic weapons, roughly a third of the country's firearms, were sold back to the government and destroyed, according to BBC News, nearly cutting the number of gun-owning households in Australia in half.
Then-Prime Minister John Howard was able to convince all of Australia's six states to agree to and pass the sweeping legislation in just 12 days, BBC News reported.
Last year, as the 20th anniversary of the massacre approached, Howard told CBS that it is "incontestable that gun-related homicides have fallen quite significantly in Australia,citing as evidence a 74 percent drop in gun-related suicide rates.
Since the law went into effect, only one mass shooting has occurred in Australia -- a 2014 incident where a farmer shot his wife and three children before killing himself, according to The Associated Press.
A report by the Australia Broadcasting Corporation stated that while Howard's claim is not "cut and dried," theAustralian Institute of Criminology found that the rate of homicide victims dying from a gunshot wound has dropped since the reforms came into place.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
silvermani wrote:

I thought that's what happened in DC at the baseball game.

1 guy got shot and he recovered and is walking in 8 weeks. not a mass murder by any stretch.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 am

silvermani wrote:

Dear Asshole,

Wow! That's so fucking mature. You had a bad day at work, you become frustrated. You had a flat tire and miss important meeting, you become frustrated. Your wife pulls you up for not getting groceries, you become frustrated. What do you do? You take out that cowboy hat and shoes you bought in the flea market, go to a Gun show, buy a gun and shoot 10 people in the mall. You feel better and have a beer.

So fucking acceptable. This is so first world citizen response and such a nice thing to do. And yes we know we cannot amend an amendment, because we love guns and its in our fucking culture. Similar to what they have in third-world countries of 'honor killing', we so crib about all the time.

Moron,
People like you make it acceptable keeping guns, so you can form militia to bring down a government (1776). And then then you ask the rest of the world to catch-up, leave that burqa and become free society.

You must be a Republican.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 am

A guy walks into a Walmart: "I want to buy a semi-automatic rifle with telescopic aim and a 100-round magazine, a bump-stock device to simulate automatic fire, 20 boxes of ammunition, and a bottle of penicillin."

Store clerk: "Sure sir, but sorry, I can't sell you the penicillin without a prescription!!"
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down