Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greg Chappell: Fierce Focus

Go down

Greg Chappell: Fierce Focus Empty Greg Chappell: Fierce Focus

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:26 pm

In his book 'Fierce Focus', Greg Chappell writes warmly about his younger brother Trevor. Greg says that Trevor in his adolescent years was a better batsman than either Ian or Greg according to coaches who had seen all the brothers at the same age. So why didn't Trevor blossom like Ian and Greg did?

One of the reasons Chappell attributes to Trevor not reaching his full potential was the infliction of certain psychological wounds on his younger brother. Once as a child he was riding a bicycle when a car collided with him. Trevor was knocked off balance, but clung on to the cycle as the car driver--not noticing the collision--kept on driving with Trevor being dragged along the ground holding on to his bike for dear life for nearly 200 meters. There was a patch of hair on Trevor's head which came off permanently giving him a bald spot on his head for life.

Then once when Trevor was playing first class cricket he ran to catch a high ball. Another fielder was nearby but that fielder was a substitute fielder and this substitute fielder was deaf. He did not hear Trevor crying out 'Its mine' and the two collided into each other. Later in hospital the doctors told Greg that Trevor's injuries on his head and face were as bad as those inflicted after the most severe motorcycle incidents.

This reminded me also of the Monica Seles stabbing incident. It would seem that psychological wounds have great power to impede our performance.

Back to top Go down

Greg Chappell: Fierce Focus Empty Re: Greg Chappell: Fierce Focus

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:44 pm

i am one of those who belonged to the camp that supported chappell for a long time despite the many disasters. in the end i had to conclude that despite his many good qualities chappell was terrible at managing difficult players. and in the indian context that meant managing ganguly and all the political baggage he brought into the dressing room. and chappell failed spectacularly. in the end i think he had only dravid on his side. so he may have come in with great ideas and a great resume but he couldn't bridge the cultural divide between how aussies did things and desi modus operandus.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am one of those who belonged to the camp that supported chappell for a long time despite the many disasters. in the end i had to conclude that despite his many good qualities chappell was terrible at managing difficult players. and in the indian context that meant managing ganguly and all the political baggage he brought into the dressing room. and chappell failed spectacularly. in the end i think he had only dravid on his side. so he may have come in with great ideas and a great resume but he couldn't bridge the cultural divide between how aussies did things and desi modus operandus.

NEW DELHI: Former India coach Greg Chappell might have been forced to make an unceremonious exit after failing to produce desired result in World Cup 2007 but Suresh Raina believes the Australian did a great service to Indian cricket as far as promoting the youngsters are concerned.

"Greg Chappell has always ensured that youngsters get their due in the Indian team. And it is because of him only that the likes of RP Singh, (MS) Dhoni, Murali Karthik and others could able to play in the Indian team," said Raina.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-11-18/top-stories/30414155_1_suresh-raina-indian-team-greg-chappell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down