Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar

+2
ashdoc
goodcitizn
6 posters

Go down

Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar Empty Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:09 am

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/greg-chappell-sachin-tendulkar-rahul-dravid-autobiography-playing-it-my-way/2014-11-04

Back to top Go down

Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar Empty Re: Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar

Post by goodcitizn Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:19 am

Tendulkar only had negative things to say about Greg Chappel as the Coach so how do you expect him to respond?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar Empty Re: Greg Chappell: Sachin Tendulkar is a Liar

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:38 am

goodcitizn wrote:Tendulkar only had negative things to say about Greg Chappel as the Coach so how do you expect him to respond?

I am not criticizing Greg. In fact I admire him.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:12 am

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Tendulkar only had negative things to say about Greg Chappel as the Coach so how do you expect him to respond?

chappel hasn't said something as dramatic as ' tendulkar is a liar '' . he merely has refuted tendulkar's claims---something that he naturally was expected to do , considering sachin said only negative things about him . 

don't put words in chappel's mouth , and above above all don't put YOUR words into his mouth . 

the title of the thread should be---Rashmun says ' tendulkar is a liar ' .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:14 am

ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

chappel hasn't said something as dramatic as ' tendulkar is a liar '' . he merely has refuted tendulkar's claims---something that he naturally was expected to do , considering sachin said only negative things about him . 

don't put words in chappel's mouth , and above above all don't put YOUR words into his mouth . 

By refuting tendulkar's claims he is declaring tendulkar to be a liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:52 am

The unusual sense of entitlement felt by senior members of an Indian cricket team is something not readily understood in our own culture. It is especially difficult to comprehend when players the calibre of the Waugh brothers can be dropped overnight - Dean Jones removed from the test team in 1992 for an unproven Damien Martyn - and going back a long way, Grimmett left out of the 1938 touring team to England - there are, in fact, countless examples of Australian players dropped in their prime. Remember Michael Bevan? What did Tendulkar and the other senior players think the BCCI was doing to bring in an Australian coach into their fold? To smooth over the senior players' egos in a nation which literally worships them?

I have personally never understood the respect accorded Sachin Tendulkar as a batsman of the highest class. Judges better placed then myself (including Stephen Waugh rate) him as a "modern day Bradman" and so the likelihood is that I am wrong, however I do not recall a single innings in Tendulkar's career where he single-handedly rescued a test out of the sheer class or determination of his batting. For that reason I wouldn't place him higher than Lara, Richards, Miandad, S Waugh and many others who came before him. Who really cares if Greg Chappell wanted to play Laxman as an opener? We would be criticising Chappell for not having vision and guts if he took over a team of ageing champions and did nothing to prepare successors.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/greg-chappell-quashes-sachin-tendulkars-story-20141104-11gfs0.html

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:The unusual sense of entitlement felt by senior members of an Indian cricket team is something not readily understood in our own culture. It is especially difficult to comprehend when players the calibre of the Waugh brothers can be dropped overnight - Dean Jones removed from the test team in 1992 for an unproven Damien Martyn - and going back a long way, Grimmett left out of the 1938 touring team to England - there are, in fact, countless examples of Australian players dropped in their prime. Remember Michael Bevan? What did Tendulkar and the other senior players think the BCCI was doing to bring in an Australian coach into their fold? To smooth over the senior players' egos in a nation which literally worships them?

I have personally never understood the respect accorded Sachin Tendulkar as a batsman of the highest class. Judges better placed then myself (including Stephen Waugh rate) him as a "modern day Bradman" and so the likelihood is that I am wrong, however I do not recall a single innings in Tendulkar's career where he single-handedly rescued a test out of the sheer class or determination of his batting. For that reason I wouldn't place him higher than Lara, Richards, Miandad, S Waugh and many others who came before him. Who really cares if Greg Chappell wanted to play Laxman as an opener? We would be criticising Chappell for not having vision and guts if he took over a team of ageing champions and did nothing to prepare successors.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/greg-chappell-quashes-sachin-tendulkars-story-20141104-11gfs0.html

Yes. He was a great run accumulator but not a clutch player like Laxman. And in ODIs, he has amazing numbers but Kohli is probably a better bet when it comes to chasing down tough targets with wickets down. In the 2011 wc final Tendulkar folded like a cheap tent as expected and it was Kohli and Gambhir who batted coolly to bail the team out. Can you ever expect clutch batting from Tendulkar in his first ever world cup final?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:00 pm

hello, cricket is a team game last I checked.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm

truthbetold wrote:hello, cricket is a team game last I checked.

still there are memorable match-winning (or often in gavaskar and dravid's case, match-saving) individual performances that we all remember - the kolkata 281 of laxman, dravid's 2003 adelaide knocks, 233 n the first and and 72 in the second innings, kumble's 10-fer in the delhi test against pak and so on.  there aren't too many like that in tendulkar's list except the huge number of runs. ODIs are a different story.

here's the thing -- the actual difference between dravid and tendulkar in tests wasn't that big, but in the public narrative and in the minds of the public it is much bigger. in fact leaving aside runs accumulated, the sum total of dravid's contributions in terms of value added to the team is much larger. so much of the blowback that you get from dravid fans is because of that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

i suppose lots of claims and counter claims are going to come out now about the last two decades of indian cricket, especially all the sordid stuff around the chappell affair. here is the key to the truth -- listen to what if anything rahul dravid says and ignore everything else. that is the truth.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:50 pm

wonder why SRT didn't say all this when greg chappell was around. what's the point now!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:13 pm

bw wrote:wonder why SRT didn't say all this when greg chappell was around. what's the point now!

wussy iyer boy?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:15 pm

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/rahul-dravid-hits-back-at-sourav-ganguly-over-greg-chappell-row/1/399124.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:58 pm

bw wrote:wonder why SRT didn't say all this when greg chappell was around. what's the point now!
point is about selling the book , what else ??

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:hello, cricket is a team game last I checked.

still there are memorable match-winning (or often in gavaskar and dravid's case, match-saving) individual performances that we all remember - the kolkata 281 of laxman, dravid's 2003 adelaide knocks, 233 n the first and and 72 in the second innings, kumble's 10-fer in the delhi test against pak and so on.  there aren't too many like that in tendulkar's list except the huge number of runs. ODIs are a different story.

here's the thing -- the actual difference between dravid and tendulkar in tests wasn't that big, but in the public narrative  and in the minds of the public it is much bigger.  in fact leaving aside runs accumulated, the sum total of dravid's contributions in terms of value added to the team is much larger. so much of the blowback that you get from dravid fans is because of that.
in an age where people want to see runs accumulated at a fast rate , dravid was too slow a run getter . to be honest , this is an injustice to dravid . 

but fast run getting has a glamour that dravid did't have , and tendulkar had the ability to get his runs faster . 
personality also counts , and dravid's personality was too reticent....

its like asking that some art movie actor was better than some commercial movie actor , then why didn't he get the accolades ??

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

chappel is merely defending himself against the scathing attack tendulkar has launched on him . in fact chappel's defence is too meek and he has not used a big word like 'liar' .
your attempt to put words in chappel's mouth reeks of hate for tendulkar rather than anything else .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:

i guess this admiration is newfound---since you hate tendulkar , anybody who is attacked by tendulkar is admired by you .

in fact chappels is infamous for the most infamous incident in cricket---the underarm delivery that he ( as captain ) asked the aussie bowler to bowl in a match against new zealand .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:43 pm

ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

chappel is merely defending himself against the scathing attack tendulkar has launched on him . in fact chappel's defence is too meek and he has not used a big word like 'liar' .
your attempt to put words in chappel's mouth reeks of hate for tendulkar rather than anything else .

chappell says he went to tendulkar's house (where tendulkar says this conversation took place) only once, with two other people (the physio and someone else), and this was one year before tendulkar claims the conversation took place and he completely denies tendulkar's accusation that he offered to make him captain. chappell is certainly calling tendulkar a Liar--though in a polite way.

Also, Ganguly claims Dravid told him that he is unable to handle Chappell while Dravid completely denies saying this to Ganguly. In a polite way Dravid is calling Ganguly a liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Judges better placed then myself (including Stephen Waugh rate) him as a "modern day Bradman" 
bradman himself said that tendulkar reminded him of himself .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 pm

ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Judges better placed then myself (including Stephen Waugh rate) him as a "modern day Bradman" 
bradman himself said that tendulkar reminded him of himself .

during tendulkar's younger days everyone respected him. as he grew older, and selfish, most people stopped respecting him.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Rashmun wrote:
ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
ashdoc wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

chappell says he went to tendulkar's house (where tendulkar says this conversation took place) only once, with two other people (the physio and someone else), and this was one year before tendulkar claims the conversation took place and he completely denies tendulkar's accusation that he offered to make him captain. chappell is certainly calling tendulkar a Liar--though in a polite way.

Also, Ganguly claims Dravid told him that he is unable to handle Chappell while Dravid completely denies saying this to Ganguly. In a polite way Dravid is calling Ganguly a liar.
denying an accusation made against himself was only to be expected . it would be very surprising if chappel DID NOT  make this statement . 
secondly , you should have started this thread by titling it with tendulkar's accusations , isn't it ?? thats what started the whole controversy isn't it ?? instead you are focusing on chappel's all-too-expected refutal of the accusations . proof of your hate...

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down