Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs

Go down

The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs Empty The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs

Post by Guest Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:05 am

Even as BJP and Congress squabbled over “real” unemployment statistics, Mirror tried to track the truth, and found several highly qualified youths complaining of rise in joblessness in Gujarat. Mirror profiles six such youths who are being forced to hold menial jobs because of lack of opportunities in the employment market. Empty words The smell of incense cannot clear the despair that Jitendra Thakor, 38, feels.

With a gold medal in MA as well as BEd and MPhil degrees to his name, you would expect the Isanpur resident to be doing really well in life. Guess again. Thakor sells agarbattis and earns apittance of Rs 7,000 a month. His is not a solitary case. There are several highly qualified youths like him whose plight fly in the face of claims of a vibrant and throbbing economy.

Axay Rami, 23, completed his Master of Commerce with first class from Lokmanya College of Commerce in Ahmedabad in 2016. He appeared for not less than a dozen job interviews, only to be offered pittance as salary. A year down the line, Rami has taken up an entirely different career— of a full-time electrician- —to make ends meet. Yash Aandani completed his Bachelor of Technology from Indus University in city in 2017.

He scored 7.4 CGPA, considered above-average score. But when he went seeking a job, he was offered Rs 7,000 per month. Disappointed, he was forced to take up the job at a telecom company for monthly salary of Rs 9,500. Those in the know of things blame the poor employment opportunities on the mushrooming colleges and universities, calling it a massive imbalance between demand and supply. “I had scored 59% in MCom.

So I was extremely disappointed when I did not get a job. The only option I had was to learn skills that could help me earn a livelihood. It was an intense struggle between my heart and mind when I decided to get training as an electrician. I have made peace with my life and accepted this profession,” said Rami. Vishant Raj (28) is preparing for competitive exams that will help him get a government job.

He studied MCom and then MBA in which he scored first class in 2015. Sure that the double post-graduation would ensure him a decent pay package, he was shocked when he was offered a four-digit salary by a brokering firm. He rejected the offer and decided to study for a government job. However, he isn’t sure when he will get it. “The government isn’t hiring much. When was last that the state government came out with massive job opportunities? People are more aware about the importance of education. In fact, a post-graduate degree has almost become a norm.

But is it rewarding? There are jobs in the private sector where one has to work overtime, but gets payment comparable to peanuts,” said Raj. Lagdhir Kandoria (23) passed BTech in electrical engineering from Nirma University this year. “I appeared for campus placements but despite clearing the written test and interview, I did not get a job,” he said. He returned to his native place near Dwarka in Saurashtra.

“My father is a farmer and I help him with farming. My family had high hopes when I was enrolled in engineering course. To realise their dreams for me, I have shifted my focus to competitive exams,” he said. He believes his lack of fluency in English has hurt his prospects. “Having come from a small town, my English is not that great. My university has given me much. Unfortunately, it couldn’t get me a job,” he lamented.

Dipesh Solanki (29) holds a PhD from Gujarat University and had cleared National Eligibility Test in 2012 (mandatory for a job in colleges and universities) with 59 per cent. “With this qualification, I would have earned not less than Rs 40,000 as an ad-hoc teacher. But my salary is a quarter of this. With this amount, I can barely meet my own expenses, forget taking up any more responsibilities,” he said. He serves as a visiting faculty at a city-based college. His suggestion to the government: Try to increase job opportunities instead of spending so much on just infrastructure. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, however, counters these claims. In a tweet on November 7, the CM said, “Gujarat has lowest unemployment rate in the country at 0.9% against national average of 5%”.

In another tweet, he claimed that over 15 lakh youngsters of which 63% were women got trained “in last seven years through 500 Kaushal Vikas Kendra”. Government data though reveals an interesting story. Nearly 7lakh educated unemployed youth are registered with the State Employment Bureau. According to Statistical Outline of Gujarat, 2016, published by the government, as many as 23,806 factories closed down in State between 2014 and 2016, making over 12.57 lakh workers unemployed.

http://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.com/ahmedabad/cover-story/the-ugly-truth-gujarats-degree-of-unemployment/articleshow/61886271.cms

Back to top Go down

The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs Empty Re: The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs

Post by Guest Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 am

The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs DQA2WCcUEAEuX9X

Back to top Go down

The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs Empty Re: The Ugly Truth about Gujarat: Highly qualified youth unable to get jobs

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 am

Having a "degree" never qualified as education in India.

If you are willing to pay $10000, you may get a medical degree, from some unknown university.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down