Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting over

+3
Impedimenta
Hellsangel
MulaiAzhagi
7 posters

Go down

Starting over Empty Starting over

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Lalitha was doing her Ph.D in Environmental Science at a well known state university in east coast. She had been friends with Girish who was doing his Ph.D in Chemistry. Nothing romantic though. One day Ram vistied her from Oregon. He was her cousin. He was about to finish his Ph.D at University of Oregon.

She introduced Ram to Girish. Both men recognized each other. "Hey Girish!Yenna nee inga irukkiya? Eppadi yurkke?, " in Tamil. He asked Girish how he had been ever since they talked to each other almost four years ago. Yes they knew each other from the past.

That evening, Ram took the flight back to Portland, Oregon.

A few months later, he called Lalitha. Just to find out how she had been doing. She said she was alright but wanted tell him something. "After your visit, Girish stopped talking to me. I don't know what I did to offend him."

Ram did'nt say anything for a minute. "Girish was my M.Sc classmate at IIT Madras. He could not handle the pressure there. He failed a class couple of times and had to leave. I tried to help him with his course. But still he could not make it. He must have joined M.Sc course somewhere else."

Laitha could understand what Girish was going through.

All Girish wanted to do was to start over in his life. And now he was doing well academically at this top state university. He was in America, a country of second chances. But Girish's visit brought back memories of the past failures which he wanted to put behind.

But do you think his behavior towards Lalitha was rational?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Starting over Empty Re: Starting over

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

It depends on whether he is an Iyer or whether he is an Iyengar.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

LOL!

mulaiAzhagi, this is from a thamizh magazine, right a? not right a?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

LOL!

mulaiAzhagi, this is from a thamizh magazine, right a? not right a?

>>>>Moral dilemmas galore here, Impy, but the take-away here is this 'just friends' business never leads to anything good. Now, go take on the day! Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:03 pm

If Lalitha, Ram, and Girish were on each other's FB, then this kinda awkwardness would have been resolved a long time ago.

Reminds me of an old story. K and I had become very good friends with this medico guy in village. Very jovial, fun guy. Son of my dad's colleague. He had also just got engaged to my ex-classmate from highschool.

We would chat a lot. He had done med school from some other city. His stories would keep us zapped day after day. So anyway, one day he began narrating horror ragging stories from there. Mind blowing ragging stories. Showed us the scars on his face. They were from his acne that were slit open by blade by seniors.

Then he also mentioned some panga with a then-Demonstrator, from a few years ago. How he was mean, and how this guy took revenge.

At some point in the story, he mentioned the name. At first it didn't hit me. But something sounded familiar. The city, the branch, the name, the description. Suddenly it clicked and I blurted out, 'oh that's my jijaji. i.e. husband of my cousin'. He was a bit surprised. He continued the story anyway. But I laughed it off. In that city such dadagiri kisse were common. No one was entirely right or wrong. I had heard enough such stories from that set of cousins, and was desensitized to them.

But that was the last that we saw him. He stopped coming to the village, at least the timings when we would be there. Even if we saw him, it would be a quick hi and bye. Were not invited to his wedding either. Of course my dad was, but not us.

Was so irrational. But anyway, I shrugged it away. He was not the first "family enemy" that I had. K was pretty surprised though. Gave him yet another chance to tell me again, 'your family is so filmy'.

edit: don't remember his name. Let me ask K and see if he's on FB. Atleast those set of cousins are not on, yet. Hehe.

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote: Mind blowing ragging stories.

>> He had to read Muthukumarrr's posts, didn't he? I knew it..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:Lalitha was doing her Ph.D in Environmental Science at a well known state university in east coast.

>>>SUNY? Penn State?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 am

Kris wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:Lalitha was doing her Ph.D in Environmental Science at a well known state university in east coast.

>>>SUNY? Penn State?

Could hv been UNC or Penn State

Sara's story is disqualified as no Romance in the story.

Tracy's story is disqualified as it is incomplete.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:17 am

Hellsangel wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

You are limiting the scope of the research by making such comments.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 am

[quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]
Kris wrote:

Incomplete?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:43 am

[quote="Tracy Whitney"]
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:

Incomplete?

>>>>Marathadi Sam wnats to know what happened to these people? Where are they now? Do they support Romney/ Ron Paul etc? No story is ever complete, Tracy. You should know that. My recommendation is to to put Boji on the job to dog up the dirt. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 am

Well, my guess is that the guy took over his dad's hospital. And his MBA wife, my ex schoolmate is helping manage it. I am still pretty vague on both their names, but I am sure it will come to my memory if I try harder.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:Lalitha was doing her Ph.D in Environmental Science at a well known state university in east coast. She had been friends with Girish who was doing his Ph.D in Chemistry. Nothing romantic though. One day Ram vistied her from Oregon. He was her cousin. He was about to finish his Ph.D at University of Oregon.

She introduced Ram to Girish. Both men recognized each other. "Hey Girish!Yenna nee inga irukkiya? Eppadi yurkke?, " in Tamil. He asked Girish how he had been ever since they talked to each other almost four years ago. Yes they knew each other from the past.

That evening, Ram took the flight back to Portland, Oregon.

A few months later, he called Lalitha. Just to find out how she had been doing. She said she was alright but wanted tell him something. "After your visit, Girish stopped talking to me. I don't know what I did to offend him."

Ram did'nt say anything for a minute. "Girish was my M.Sc classmate at IIT Madras. He could not handle the pressure there. He failed a class couple of times and had to leave. I tried to help him with his course. But still he could not make it. He must have joined M.Sc course somewhere else."

Laitha could understand what Girish was going through.

All Girish wanted to do was to start over in his life. And now he was doing well academically at this top state university. He was in America, a country of second chances. But Girish's visit brought back memories of the past failures which he wanted to put behind.

I didn't read the other replies. But it was rational because when these two gentelmen were in IIT Madras hostel, they experimented in little 'Brokeback Mountain sex'. It didn't stick. So they went their merry ways.
This visit reminded him of this and hence he stopped talking to Lalitha Madam.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down