Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brilliant sportswriting

Go down

Brilliant sportswriting Empty Brilliant sportswriting

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Epic warfare of Rafael Nadal.

I read couple of others on NFL at this site grantland.com ( I know it is an odd name for a sports column) and found them to be great.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Brilliant sportswriting Empty Re: Brilliant sportswriting

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:20 am

Grantland - the website is named as an homage to a revered sports writer of yesteryears: Grantland Rice.

Allow me to "educate" you on Grantland.com - Bill Simmons aka Sports Guy is the editor-in-chief who has been a prolific writer on ESPN and also a co-creater of 30 for 30 series of documentaries on ESPN; created Grantland last year.

Please go read his archives on ESPN esp. his mailbags; they are usually hilarious.

Grantland is a Sports and Pop Culture Website and these are the major players/writers:

Bill Simmons - Areas of interest/Articles on : NBA, NFL, Gambling, Pop Culture
Complete Boston Sports scene homer who loves talking about Pats, Celts and even the Bruins. Also a NYTimes Bestselling Author of "Now I can die in Peace" and "The Book of Basketball". Also the creator of BS Report podcasts. Used to write for Jimmy Kimmel Show as well before.

Chuck Closterman - Pop culture essayist; esp. about music. Wiki him.

Jay Kaspian Kang: NBA

Dave Jacoby: Pop Culture

Katie Baker, Molly Lamberts on NYTimes, Gossip Columns aggregator.

Bill Barnwell & Michael Lombardi: NFL

Jonah Keri: MLB

A few guest columnists - Wright Thompson (who writes beautifully on Southern Living, Sachin and Whiskey)

Ask me for more info, if you're interested...Smile The website renders beautifully for reading on mobile devices as well BTW.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 am

Richard Hed. Thanks for the headsup.

I read only a few and liked them very much. I sense a man crush on your part to Bill Simmons.. but he is no Hemu or Nawab of Arcot. Mind it.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:21 pm

DoofMan,

You're welcome - what I wrote was unsolicited but, I have a passion for Sports Journalism and I have a huge crush on Jackie Macmullan...:-)

doofus_maximus wrote:Richard Hed. Thanks for the headsup.

I read only a few and liked them very much. I sense a man crush on your part to Bill Simmons.. but he is no Hemu or Nawab of Arcot. Mind it.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 pm

those 30 on 30 series is amazing stuff. Have you seen the one on Colombian drug cartels and their control over the soccer there. I posted about it when I saw it first.

The latest one was about the Raider QB who played when he was high on drugs and how drugs ruined his life. That was gut wrenching.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:37 pm

those 30 on 30 series is amazing stuff. Have you seen the one on Colombian drug cartels and their control over the soccer there. I posted about it when I saw it first.

The latest one was about the Raider QB who played when he was high on drugs and how drugs ruined his life. That was gut wrenching.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:those 30 on 30 series is amazing stuff. Have you seen the one on Colombian drug cartels and their control over the soccer there. I posted about it when I saw it first.

30 for 30 were all great - my personal favorite was the one on "the U" about how those guys in Miami revolutionized college football early 90s but, that's just for my own reasons...

AlsO, over 50% of NBA players declare bankruptcy within 10 years of retiring mainly due to lifestyle choices, drug usage, entourages and alimony; and this cuts through race & major sports as well...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down