Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dhobi Ghat - The Kiss

+2
Mosquito
SomeProfile
6 posters

Go down

Dhobi Ghat - The Kiss Empty Dhobi Ghat - The Kiss

Post by SomeProfile Mon May 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Did this already get discussed on Sulekha? Am I late to the show?

Kiran Rao, the writer & director, shows amazing skill in handling some fragile moments. One of the most fragile moments was when the Shai girl falls asleep on the couch after drinking and talking with her dhobi friend. It is raining and she looks beautiful and enticing. The dhobi guy goes close to her as if to steal a kiss. But then, he hesitates, moves apart and goes away. You know that if the kiss had hapenned, the story would've veered off in entirely different directions. Things would break apart like a crystal vase shot by a bullet. It was as edge-of-the-seat moment for me as any edge-of-the-seat moment in a suspense or action movie.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Dhobi Ghat - The Kiss Empty Re: Dhobi Ghat - The Kiss

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 5:33 pm

it was one boring movie and i didnt like it at all. i am getting tired of prateik's way of talking too. he was good in jane tu... never after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 pm

SomeProfile wrote:Did this already get discussed on Sulekha? Am I late to the show?

Kiran Rao, the writer & director, shows amazing skill in handling some fragile moments. One of the most fragile moments was when the Shai girl falls asleep on the couch after drinking and talking with her dhobi friend. It is raining and she looks beautiful and enticing. The dhobi guy goes close to her as if to steal a kiss. But then, he hesitates, moves apart and goes away. You know that if the kiss had hapenned, the story would've veered off in entirely different directions. Things would break apart like a crystal vase shot by a bullet. It was as edge-of-the-seat moment for me as any edge-of-the-seat moment in a suspense or action movie.

My sister loved the film. I got in my netflix queue. Will watch it probably over the weekend.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeybrowneyes Mon May 09, 2011 6:15 pm

SomeProfile wrote:Did this already get discussed on Sulekha? Am I late to the show?

SP - In real life - you need to get #@$%..soon! Very Happy

mickeybrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 10, 2011 12:23 am

mickeybrowneyes wrote:

I am not sure I understand you. You can use the actual word, no need to disguise it with special characters. Did you mean to say 'get fucked'?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:My sister loved the film. I got in my netflix queue. Will watch it probably over the weekend.
I got it in my queue too. I was surprised it showed up so soon on Netflix... never saw Bollywood movies that were so recent in Netflix for instant play.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2011 12:49 am

netflix always has new hindi movies on instant queue carvaka Wink

guzaarish came in november, 7 khoon maaf is avl for onlien streaming, 30 maar khan too...ajab prem ki gazab kahani came ol soona fter the dvd release...

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 am

charvaka wrote:
PseudoIntellectual wrote:My sister loved the film. I got in my netflix queue. Will watch it probably over the weekend.
I got it in my queue too. I was surprised it showed up so soon on Netflix... never saw Bollywood movies that were so recent in Netflix for instant play.

Even no one killed jessica went online quickly.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 10, 2011 1:23 am

seven wrote:netflix always has new hindi movies on instant queue carvaka Wink

guzaarish came in november, 7 khoon maaf is avl for onlien streaming, 30 maar khan too...ajab prem ki gazab kahani came ol soona fter the dvd release...

Are any of these movies worth spending time watching? Before answering, imagine that I have cancer, I will die in a year, and so my time is precious. Okay, babe-moshoi?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeybrowneyes Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 am

SomeProfile wrote:
mickeybrowneyes wrote:

I am not sure I understand you. You can use the actual word, no need to disguise it with special characters. Did you mean to say 'get fucked'?

I was hinting at "Laid" but, you get the drift... :-)

mickeybrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 10, 2011 2:34 am

mickeybrowneyes wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:
mickeybrowneyes wrote:

No idea what gave you that impression. But thanks for the concern. The drought here is not in that department. Smile

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeybrowneyes Tue May 10, 2011 2:41 am

SomeProfile wrote:
mickeybrowneyes wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:
mickeybrowneyes wrote:

No idea what gave you that impression. But thanks for the concern. The drought here is not in that department. Smile

And I'm sure it isn't - truly...:-)
Just that all that rapturage around an almost-kiss triggers such responses...
Smile

mickeybrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 10, 2011 2:54 am

mickeybrowneyes wrote:
Just that all that rapturage around an almost-kiss triggers such responses...
Smile

Have you seen the movie? It was not about the almost-kiss in isolation. It was about what would happen to the characters and the story after that.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 am

My review--

This is a film set in the muslim quarter of mumbai......Mohammad Ali road , where Arun ( played by Amir Khan ) , a brooding painter , comes to live , and finds old video films left by the former tenant , a muslim young woman .

But before he comes to live there, he has a one-night stand with a rich , vivacious young woman (Monica Dogra ),who has come from US to film Mumbai , and who develops an attraction for him .

And as Shai ( Monica Dogra ) takes the help of a young dhobhi ( Played by Prateik Babbar ) to film dhobhi ghat , and practically goes dating with him ,predictibly making him have all sorts of ideas about her ( which guy wouldn't , in such a situation ) , a story of sorts begins to develop.......

As Amir begins to view the old films left by the former tenant , a sense of mystery begins to overhang the movie........you wonder what explosive revelations are going to be in the films.......but it is all overshadowed by the melancholy of Amir's character , which works against the film SadSad

And when the revelations come , you are left wondering what connection they had with the main story.......

It is left to Shai ( Monica Dogra ) to lift the film.....and she is the one who does it with a demonstration of such spontaneous acting and natural charm that makes you wish to see her in more films in bollywood in the future Smile

Prateik Babbar acts well ,in the role of a muslim boy who allows Shai to take him for a ride , and ends up falling in love with her even though the class differences between them are obviously too much to bridge.

All this does not change the fact that its a dull , though not outright boring film.....

Amir Khan is simply too intense , and his acting skills could have been better utilised......

Verdict--you can safely give it a miss......

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Tue May 10, 2011 9:27 am

I thought it just an ok movie. The camera work and sound almost had a feel of a docu-drama....rather than a feature film. Maybe she should have done just that. There were some good shots of the landscape of Bombay and gave a decent glimpse of life in Bombay.

But the story was weak. The characters were not bold. There were no conclusions...and the conclusions weren't craftily open-ended. The endings to all the stories were very tame and anti-climactic, which didn't seem intentional.

I think there was a desperate attempt at making it to Cannes or other international film festivals.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down