Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huzefa Kapasi

+2
SomeProfile
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Huzefa Kapasi Empty Huzefa Kapasi

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I reset your picture to the smaller size, to test whether that feature works. I hope you don't mind.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Huzefa Kapasi Empty Re: Huzefa Kapasi

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Huzefa may not mind this, but this is the kind of thing that makes me wary. Don't get me wrong. I trust you and I believe you when you say that once the settings for the site are in place, you will most probably never use the admin account. But in the long term, for whatever reason, you may not always be the sole admin of the forum. You may find it necessary to make one or more other people admins. All of a sudden we have another person who change a lot of things on the site, including our profiles, and be able to see the email addresses and other info (not sure what other info) of all the posters.

Frankly, other than you, I cannot think of a single other person here (including myself) that I'd trust to be a good admin for this forum.

In contrast, moderators on Reddit have extremely limited powers: http://www.reddit.com/help/faq#Moderators.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm

good point about admin powers..

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 pm

SomeProfile wrote:Huzefa may not mind this, but this is the kind of thing that makes me wary. Don't get me wrong. I trust you and I believe you when you say that once the settings for the site are in place, you will most probably never use the admin account. But in the long term, for whatever reason, you may not always be the sole admin of the forum. You may find it necessary to make one or more other people admins. All of a sudden we have another person who change a lot of things on the site, including our profiles, and be able to see the email addresses and other info (not sure what other info) of all the posters.

Frankly, other than you, I cannot think of a single other person here (including myself) that I'd trust to be a good admin for this forum.

In contrast, moderators on Reddit have extremely limited powers: http://www.reddit.com/help/faq#Moderators.

Good point. If we end up here for the long term, I will add to the list of things I mentioned I won't do: tinker with users' profiles.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I wonder if the man from the not so insignificant University town will suffer a forum administrated by The Akka.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Hellsangel wrote:I wonder if the man from the not so insignificant University town will suffer a forum administrated by The Akka.

He need not have any reservations. He may suspect I am a communist, but when it comes to free speech I am pretty libertarian.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:03 pm

charvaka wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:I wonder if the man from the not so insignificant University town will suffer a forum administrated by The Akka.

He need not have any reservations. He may suspect I am a communist, but when it comes to free speech I am pretty libertarian.

I think, like Uppili and myself, he is also paranoid. He will come when he feels confident that he has no reasons to worry. AFAIK, he has checked out other forums in the past. So, he will check out this one too.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:05 pm

SomeProfile wrote:I think, like Uppili and myself, he is also paranoid. He will come when he feels confident that he has no reasons to worry. AFAIK, he has checked out other forums in the past. So, he will check out this one too.

He has no more reasons to be paranoid.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Why not? The only reason I am comfortable here is because Charvaka is the admin. Otherwise, I'd be very paranoid too. I don't know what all information the admin has access to. Certainly the registration email address. What about poster's IP address / domain info? And what powers does the admin have? Can change profile pics, we know that. What about editing people's posts? What about modifying their names?

What if an admin (other than Charvaka) went crazy one find day and changed my handle on all my posts to Some Shit, changed my profile pic to poop, edited all my posts to say, "I am poop'?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:19 pm

SomeProfile wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Why not? The only reason I am comfortable here is because Charvaka is the admin. Otherwise, I'd be very paranoid too. I don't know what all information the admin has access to. Certainly the registration email address. What about poster's IP address / domain info? And what powers does the admin have? Can change profile pics, we know that. What about editing people's posts? What about modifying their names?

What if an admin (other than Charvaka) went crazy one find day and changed my handle on all my posts to Some Shit, changed my profile pic to poop, edited all my posts to say, "I am poop'?

Not to dismiss your concerns, but in a lighter vein, it looks like we don't have to worry about that: http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/thanks-kokee-tiana-maria-1114364.htm#1114395

charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:15 am

Admin wrote:I reset your picture to the smaller size, to test whether that feature works. I hope you don't mind.

not at all. it was displayed quite large to begin with.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:29 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Admin wrote:I reset your picture to the smaller size, to test whether that feature works. I hope you don't mind.

not at all. it was displayed quite large to begin with.

Thanks for your understanding. Please help test the other forum (see the sticky post in this forum for instructions.)
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:55 am

yes. i posted on reddit. will try it out again today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:14 am

Children:

Here is my email address: Marathadi-Saamiyaar@puttaparthi.in

You can send your email to Saibaba@puttaparthi.in and they will be directed to my new email ID.

Only thing to fear is fear itself.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 am

if possible can you make the pictures just slightly larger? if you feel this might need member discussion, then don't bother - its not important. (it's nice to be able to identify posters by their pics. while browsing through a thread)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down