Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourdain on depression

2 posters

Go down

Bourdain on depression Empty Bourdain on depression

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:27 am

on how it can have senseless triggers

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny-ent-anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-therapy-20180608-story.html

“I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I'll order an airport hamburger,” he told the shrink. “It's an insignificant thing, it's a small thing, it's a hamburger, but it's not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days."

Back to top Go down

Bourdain on depression Empty Re: Bourdain on depression

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:34 am

rasāsvāda wrote:on how it can have senseless triggers

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny-ent-anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-therapy-20180608-story.html

“I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I'll order an airport hamburger,” he told the shrink. “It's an insignificant thing, it's a small thing, it's a hamburger, but it's not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days."
He probably was seeing too much food everywhere making him sick / depressed.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:41 pm

i wonder if big news networks, or maybe also big corporates, begin investing more on mental health of their employees/stars. Say for example, if CNN had insisted Bourdain got the help he aired on their show that he needed, it may have helped prevent this crisis. Or maybe they did do that and we don't know about it... But in future, if not for legal reason, but more for humanitarian reasons if they began doing that, that should be next great step. Will be another reason to become, 'one of the best orgs to work for'. And I brought up news network specifically, coz this could be a stressful environment for someone already predisposed to serious depression. Other media people have it too, but they are generally independent.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:36 pm

I used to have a very unsympathetic view of these matters; used to think of it mainly as a human weakness.  Probably not very different from most Indians.  My experience over the last several years and what I have seen in our high school and community in general has radically changed my view of depression/anxiety and mental illness in general.  A lot of people have it very rough out there even in the most affluent communities.  In fact, people particularly kids in the more affluent communities have it REALLY bad. The pressures are unrelenting. Totally fucked up.

Heard this on NPR yesterday and can totally relate to it:
http://wnpr.org/post/back-how-get-out-high-pressure-parenting-trap
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 pm

And I believe the standard Indian platitudes about this subject do a lot of harm. That's why I don't even have a desire to engage in a conversation with Smartha on the other thread. These views seem to be quite ingrained and difficult to change unless one is personally confronted by it.

Having said that, aside from religious and self-help gurus and their nonsense, there IS something of real therapeutic value and use in the Bhagvad Gita, especially the famous battlefield conversation. I have not found anything of real value outside of that from within our culture on this subject.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:And I believe the standard Indian platitudes about this subject do a lot of harm. That's why I don't even have a desire to engage in a conversation with Smartha on the other thread.  These views seem to be quite ingrained and difficult to change unless one is personally confronted by it.

Having said that, aside from religious and self-help gurus and their nonsense, there IS something of real therapeutic value and use in the Bhagvad Gita, especially the famous battlefield conversation.  I have not found anything of real value outside of that from within our culture on this subject.
The whole Bhagavad Gita deals with depression and how to change your way of thinking and combat that. I don’t think any other religion dealt with depression as well as Hinduism did. Arjuna was a classic case of someone going through depression, dejection, confusion, anxiety, all leading to panic attack and his inability to act. We all go through that in our lives, if you consider life as a battlefield. The whole Gita deals with how to come out of it and face the life situations with the right attitude. 

Upanishads also touch upon it at a higher level. They tell you that you are not your thoughts. You are something more than that. Turn inwards, meditate and find your blissful Self there. 

And then we have the Karma philosophy too. To let go. Don’t try to control that which is not in your control. Leave it, accept it and move on, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:And I believe the standard Indian platitudes about this subject do a lot of harm. That's why I don't even have a desire to engage in a conversation with Smartha on the other thread.  These views seem to be quite ingrained and difficult to change unless one is personally confronted by it.

Having said that, aside from religious and self-help gurus and their nonsense, there IS something of real therapeutic value and use in the Bhagvad Gita, especially the famous battlefield conversation.  I have not found anything of real value outside of that from within our culture on this subject.
on this subject, you probably meant depression, which is a state of the mind, and there is enough material on mind, including on how to calm it and keep it in check, in the philosophical discussions involving Samkhya and Yoga (Hindu Brahmanical philosophies).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

on this subject, you probably meant depression, which is a state of the mind, and there is enough material on mind, including on how to calm it and keep it in check, in the philosophical discussions involving Samkhya and Yoga (Hindu Brahmanical philosophies) in addition to what is said about the mind in the Gita etc.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down