Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Physican Academic to head the World Bank

+4
indophile
chameli
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
8 posters

Go down

A Physican Academic to head the World Bank Empty A Physican Academic to head the World Bank

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

....It is time that MORE HONEST men with science background take over the financial and the business world from the YemBee As and Liars.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

A Physican Academic to head the World Bank Empty Re: A Physican Academic to head the World Bank

Post by Hellsangel Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

I thought you hated doctors too, your Holiness!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

A Physican Academic to head the World Bank Empty Re: A Physican Academic to head the World Bank

Post by chameli Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:....It is time that MORE HONEST men with science background take over the financial and the business world from the YemBee As and Liars.

yeah but he should look suave and have business savvy too

or else his underlings will make off with the loot and he will be left holding the bag
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Hellsangel wrote:I thought you hated doctors too, your Holiness!

It is all relative.

After all, I am a human too, even though some might disagree.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't know if this is true, but I heard Harvard, on purpose, accepts a couple of non-science undergraduates (like music, anthropology, etc.) into its medical college. It's all this diversity thing.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:48 pm

If it was Bush making an appointment like this there would be no shortage of jokes/criticism. Obama is getting a free ride.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Well... those music, anthropology, and "some such stuff" (as said publicly by a med school Dean) also would have good basic science GPAs and MCAT to more than compensate. Besides, medicine inthis country and Europe is fast becoming a multi disciplinary. They have begun to apply clinical concepts to ethics (need I say more?), theology (yoga, religious beliefs on mental health), prayers, music (Left and right side of brains, Autism), anthropology (geneology and hereditary and ancestral imfluence), and even literature (verbal skill development), linguistics (cognitive skills). Unilke in India, most med students are more matured at 22, 23 with a BS already in the bag, and hence look at things in a broad manner.

Still Science majors account for some 70 to 60% of the matriculants.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

artood2 wrote:If it was Bush making an appointment like this there would be no shortage of jokes/criticism. Obama is getting a free ride.

Bush is too dumb to have even thought of anything like this.... A legacy C- graduate from Yale can only think in terms of a single-digit IQ.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Well those music and history majors are somehow able to withstand the grind of a Harvard medical education and are graduating. There is something to be said for that. Medical school or not, music must be included in basic high school curriculum. It conditions the mind to retain waht is heard, improve on what is taught, and most important of all, teaches that things must be done perfectly - no get by business.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm

It's an interesting and unconventional choice. I am sure, knowing President Obama's ways, he must have very carefully thought about this before he made his choice- based on all the info about this gentleman and looked at it from many angles- not just the academic background..and trusting his own instincts.

Afterall, the head of this powerful agency will have teams and teams of "economic and financial experts" with the best academic backgrounds who will provide advice and support..and he can summon anyone from anywhere for additional expertise.

I would think, it had to be based on characteristics like: honesty, natural intelligence, analytical, leadership/managerial skills..someone who can be wise and have "vision" in these changing times and make important decisions.

A Physician who has had executive experience..plus all the characteristics above..may be a good choice..we'll see!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 pm

The most important characteristic needed at that level is - commonsense and good judgment.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Sure! And all of us need that:)

I think the ability to understand, process and analyze the loads of data presented- and have a certain exposure to the realities which exist- and have a "global vision and understanding" and how the decisions made will affect all the various nations and the different segments of society is quite important too, imo.

This gentleman's experience working AIDS Agencies and at Univs..may have helped him with exposure to the realities/different perspectives with some compassion as well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm

indophile wrote:The most important characteristic needed at that level is - commonsense and good judgment.
a lot of people have common sense; that's why it's "common." that attribute is necessary, but not sufficient, to be the president of the world bank.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 pm

this man has not played any leadership role in economic development or the funding of such activities. this is indeed a strange choice. obama's nomination may be rejected by the wb's board.

here's an article on jim yong kim:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/03/23/harvard-professor-slams-obamas-world-bank-nomination/

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Interesting and varying views:

http://news.in.msn.com/international/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5953470

"Bill Clinton, the former US President said Jim is an inspired and outstanding choice to lead the World Bank based on his years of commitment and leadership to development and particularly health care and AIDS treatment across the world.

"He will be the most experienced development expert to ever take the helm of the World Bank and I compliment President Obama for putting that type of proven commitment to global development at the top of his criteria for choosing the World Bank's next leader," he said in a statement.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:this man has not played any leadership role in economic development or the funding of such activities. this is indeed a strange choice. obama's nomination may be rejected by the wb's board.

here's an article on jim yong kim:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/03/23/harvard-professor-slams-obamas-world-bank-nomination/

That, now, should be a huge plus. Who wants someone with "leadership experience and managing experience" in the rotten, corrupt, world of greedy financial and business sectors?

Perhaps, any and all YemBeeAs should be disqualified from heading anything or any organization for another 50 years, until the Ivy leagues change their emphasis and curriculum to care for the people and focus on honesty.and ethics.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Maria S wrote:Sure! And all of us need that:)

I think the ability to understand, process and analyze the loads of data presented- and have a certain exposure to the realities which exist- and have a "global vision and understanding" and how the decisions made will affect all the various nations and the different segments of society is quite important too, imo.

This gentleman's experience working AIDS Agencies and at Univs..may have helped him with exposure to the realities/different perspectives with some compassion as well.
could you tell us more specifically why you think that jim yong kim is well qualified to be the president of the world bank, an organization with nearly two hundred member nations, that funds economic development throughout the world?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:31 pm

No, I can't. I did not nominate him..and like everyone else, I can only express my views in general.

In general, anyone can say it seems like an unconventional choice..and perhaps analyze (really guess) why the Pres. made the choice he did..which may or may not be accurate.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Didn't this scene play out in the past too on Sulekha? A glitch in the matrix.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Yes! He got it!

The good Physician-Academic better do an excellent job now- with savvy, good judgment and compassion!

Nice to see the US and the Pres. O still have some clout!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/jim-yong-kim-world-bank-president_n_1428890.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Maria S wrote:Yes! He got it!

The good Physician-Academic better do an excellent job now- with savvy, good judgment and compassion!

Nice to see the US and the Pres. O still have some clout!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/jim-yong-kim-world-bank-president_n_1428890.html

Dear Maria, for future reference, the head of the World Bank is always chosen by the US; and the head of the IMF by the EU.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 pm

*After all that I have seen in life..I NEVER take "always" for granted !

Well from what I read in this article- there were two others who were nominated- so it was not an automatic choice.

I don't know if there were Physicians who were World Bank Heads before..am sure you know a lot more than I do..I don't know Dr. Kim..obviously, only time will tell if he was a good- unconventional choice!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17493655
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Maria S wrote:
*After all that I have seen in life..I NEVER take "always" for granted !

Well from what I read in this article- there were two others who were nominated- so it was not an automatic choice.

I don't know if there were Physicians who were World Bank Heads before..am sure you know a lot more than I do..I don't know Dr. Kim..obviously, only time will tell if he was a good- unconventional choice!

Never say never!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Ok Angel.

In the same page-this link was interesting..why take anything for granted? I don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17735368

Excerpt:

Andrew Mitchell, UK international development secretary and a governor of the World Bank Group, said that "as the first development professional to head the World Bank, Jim Yong Kim's considerable experience will be vital as he leads it through its ambitious reform and modernisation programme".

Meanwhile, the bank hailed the selection process as competitive, saying that the challenge posed by Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, as well as by Colombian candidate Jose Antonio Ocampi, would benefit the institution in the long run.
The three candidacies had "enriched the discussion of the role of the president and of the World Bank Group's future direction", the World Bank said.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Maria S wrote:Ok Angel.

In the same page-this link was interesting..why take anything for granted? I don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17735368

On that vein Smile :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17733933
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Well, my sympathies to Ms. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala..and Africa.

As I would say (or I assume most people would say) to anyone who does not get a job..good luck next time:)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Maria S wrote:

Well, my sympathies to Ms. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala..and Africa.

>>>Now, now Maria -some of us have even longer names. It happens, we get used to it after some time and move on. Nevertheless, appreciate the kindness!

Wink

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down