Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man

+6
doofus_maximus
Impedimenta
Merlot Daruwala
MulaiAzhagi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
10 posters

Go down

i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man Empty i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:15 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/fashion/salman-rushdie-out-of-exile-is-a-fixture-on-the-social-scene.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man Empty Re: i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/fashion/salman-rushdie-out-of-exile-is-a-fixture-on-the-social-scene.html

The unique are often unique in several ways.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man Empty Re: i've liked the books alright, but i'm not so sure i like this side of the man

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:52 am

there is nothing unique about his lifestyle. i like a bit of reserve in the authors i read and like them being unavailable to the public. i like them reclusive.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is nothing unique about his lifestyle. i like a bit of reserve in the authors i read and like them being unavailable to the public. i like them reclusive.

This is what I have learnt over the years.

Leave sex out of everyone and everything, when it comes to Characterizing.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:09 pm

===> I see in the picture a dark skinned girl sucking up to this 64 year old man.

Must be a SI Hindu.

She may end up as his fifth wife.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:01 am

Face it Max - you're just jealous that he did Padma Laxmi for all those years.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Face it Max - you're just jealous that he did Padma Laxmi for all those years.

ewww...i meant LOL!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 am

Impy.. 2 replies in two thread in the morning and both had no lament about your work. You must be enjoying the spring. Keep at it. See Saami man I notice things too Wink
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:56 pm

u want a lot from an author dont u ?

its not all about max max max

writing is his profession ,what he does outside of that is his own business

never liked him anyway
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 pm

chameli wrote:u want a lot from an author dont u ?

never liked him anyway

ditto-except that i like his style of writing..

and this is true for other areas as well...their vocation, not necessarily the persona..that should not influence the appreciation/admiration. difficult but doable

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:33 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
chameli wrote:u want a lot from an author dont u ?

never liked him anyway

ditto-except that i like his style of writing..

and this is true for other areas as well...their vocation, not necessarily the persona..that should not influence the appreciation/admiration. difficult but doable

This whole discussion reminded me of this

artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by CB Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 pm

It's ok I guess.. It does break the romantic perception you have of him (locked in a room, hiding out from the world, writing genius works).
Instead, he's twittering about Kardashian and canoodling with Courtney Love..
How did you even find this article? It's under Fashion & Style section.

CB

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 pm

===> To CB

The same is true for MAX also.

People like grew up with the image of a science professor and researcher too busy to engage in idle conversation about politics or celebrities. Here we see interminably arguing about NI SI stuff with Rashmun and opining about celebrities like Rushdie.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

CB wrote:It's ok I guess.. It does break the romantic perception you have of him (locked in a room, hiding out from the world, writing genius works).
Instead, he's twittering about Kardashian and canoodling with Courtney Love..
How did you even find this article? It's under Fashion & Style section.

yes it does break the perception. i don't expect him to be locked in a room or hiding from the world like thomas pynchon, but didn't expect him to be SO available to the glitterati and the chatterati of NYC! to me it does diminish him just a touch. how did i find the article? i am a consumer of everything rushdie.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am a consumer of everything rushdie.

Especially a certain ex-wife.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:57 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yes it does break the perception. i don't expect him to be locked in a room or hiding from the world like thomas pynchon, but didn't expect him to be SO available to the glitterati and the chatterati of NYC! to me it does diminish him just a touch. how did i find the article? i am a consumer of everything rushdie.

in fact, amitav ghosh wrote a piece exactly along the sentiments you express after the rushdie-JLF incident. ghosh, in the piece, was wary of literary festivals in general and subscribed to the old school -- that there should be a veil between the reader and writer.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 am

HK - is there a link to the ghosh article? please post if available.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am a consumer of everything rushdie.

Especially a certain ex-wife.

yes that too.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:HK - is there a link to the ghosh article? please post if available.

http://amitavghosh.com/blog/?p=2361

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:HK - is there a link to the ghosh article? please post if available.

found it i think.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 am

thanks HK. looks like i found it at the same instant you posted! very thoughtful article from ghosh as always. and he explores other dimensions and downsides of getting too close to the readership too.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 am

huz,

salman rushdie is a gregarious and communicative human being

what are u going to do about it ?

mostly i think he has the hots for females and that shows

truth is how does any female worth her salt fall for this oogli man ?

ok he does have money and that helps
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 am

chameli wrote:salman rushdie is a gregarious and communicative human being

ok, time to show off while dissing rushdie, bole to two birds in one shot.

i was once in a discussion with author clark blaise. clark blaise is the husband of indian author bharati mukherjee. clark was teaching creative writing in my college then and i was taking his class. so in one private discussion, i asked him what he thought of rushdie? having just finished the (early) fiction and non-fiction of rushdie, i was utterly besotted with rushdie. blaise was familiar with rushdie for he had met him on a few occasions. my question made clark think for a while. then he said, the man sure knows how to talk. and then he fell into an uncommunicative silence. i felt uncomfortable asking him more questions on rushdie for i could sense the tinge of contempt he carried for him. i switched the topic to naipaul hoping that he shared some of the admiration his wife had for naipaul and that worked.

it was not a connected world then and the only info. i could gather about rushdie the man (not the author of those grand books) was through his several essays and through granta, the periodical in which he played a role then. he was promoting hanif kureshi through granta then (and kureshi turned anti-rushdie later, lol). but i could make out that if there was one thing rushdie knew how to do very well, it was this: work the seams. he had a gift for finding the seam (be it hinglish, displacement or fragmented reality, third world perspective) and he would work it till he whipped up a frenzy. the man was polemic, loud, reckless and all this directly related to his sensibility -- not a delicate sensibility but one that was rash and impatient to be heard. to be honest, i liked some of these aspects (maybe all back then). further, there was a lot of honesty in the man too that endeared me to him (he's a changed man now). he recognized his limitations then and paid due homage to the masters he had learnt tricks from. he was a good teacher to have.

mostly i think he has the hots for females and that shows

so did naipaul, so did graham greene. naipaul was in an abusive relationship with a married woman when his first wife pat was still alive. greene used to patronize brothels. all these things do speak poorly of the writers and it is not always possible to separate them from their works.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm

yes huz nice long comment from u

so u thing he is modest

good to know

ya naipaul i know about
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: clark was teaching creative writing in my college then and i was taking his class.

Do you have any email evidence?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down