Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

e-books vs physical books

3 posters

Go down

e-books vs physical books Empty e-books vs physical books

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18256087

my own belief is that physical books are on their way out. on my Kindle DX i have several dozens of books right now. i can easily carry them around if i move to a different city. not so with the dozens of physical books which i also own.

physical books also seem to be the target of wives who do not like the fact that they take up so much space. Having books on your Kindle (or ipad) makes for a more harmonious marriage.

Back to top Go down

e-books vs physical books Empty Re: e-books vs physical books

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 pm

you can sell back physical books; even though @ peanuts to amazon, but u can sell them back. ever since i realized that, i am buying more of physical books now.

maybe kindle is cheaper inspite of it's no-resale value, but still for now I am back to getting physical books.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue May 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Many marriages are also in trouble because a spouse spends too much time on IPAD or facebook.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 am

Is iPad/kindle use OK in the porcelain library .. err the toilet seat? What if you drop the instrument in water or worse yet you-know-where.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 8:26 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:Is iPad/kindle use OK in the porcelain library .. err the toilet seat? What if you drop the instrument in water or worse yet you-know-where.

you dreamt this right? you also stole some gulab jamuns from the fridge after this episode?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 30, 2012 8:45 am

Rashmun,

I can't speak for all wives..but, it's the time the spouse or partner spends on any activity and how distracted they get- which can create problems!

I have a Kindle, an iPad, a Samsung tablet..but, may be it's a generational thing, getting used to it and a personal preference..it's just not the same as physically handling a book- touching and turning the pages. E-books are okay for some time..but, get bored with them easily. I really dislike audio books!

And I think, physical books will always be around..many of the book stores and libraries I go to are still crowded- with a lot of young people too, in spite of of all the e-stuff. There are many places like places of worship - esp. Churches which can't/will not change to exclusively e-Bibles and Hymn books..it's just not the same. Also retro becomes cool..would not be surprised if real books are hugely popular again in a few decades.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Maria S wrote:Rashmun,

I can't speak for all wives..but, it's the time the spouse or partner spends on any activity and how distracted they get- which can create problems!

I have a Kindle, an iPad, a Samsung tablet..but, may be it's a generational thing, getting used to it and a personal preference..it's just not the same as physically handling a book- touching and turning the pages. E-books are okay for some time..but, get bored with them easily. I really dislike audio books!

And I think, physical books will always be around..many of the book stores and libraries I go to are still crowded- with a lot of young people too, in spite of of all the e-stuff. There are many places like places of worship - esp. Churches which can't/will not change to exclusively e-Bibles and Hymn books..it's just not the same. Also retro becomes cool..would not be surprised if real books are hugely popular again in a few decades.

i know some other people who just like you prefer physical books to e-books. but take into account the fact that e-book readers are going to keep getting better in the future. for certain kinds of books, the e-book will eventually be superior to a physical book. for instance, it would be a lot more easier to learn about DNA replication, transcription, translation, etc. from an e-book which is demonstrating these phenomena in an interactive, dynamic manner rather than reading about them in an e-book. Imagine an e-book where you could read standard commentaries by reputed scholars on certain difficult or obscure passages in the Bible, just after reading those passages, by highlighting the passage of interest and clicking a key.
Where e-books win big over physical books, of course, is the great ease of carrying them around including when you move to a different city.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Maria S wrote:Rashmun,

i know some other people who just like you prefer physical books to e-books. but take into account the fact that e-book readers are going to keep getting better in the future. for certain kinds of books, the e-book will eventually be superior to a physical book. for instance, it would be a lot more easier to learn about DNA replication, transcription, translation, etc. from an e-book which is demonstrating these phenomena in an interactive, dynamic manner rather than reading about them in an e- a book. Imagine an e-book where you could read standard commentaries by reputed scholars on certain difficult or obscure passages in the Bible, just after reading those passages, by highlighting the passage of interest and clicking a key.
Where e-books win big over physical books, of course, is the great ease of carrying them around including when you move to a different city.

*corrected*

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 30, 2012 2:52 pm

You make some good points Rashmun, and I understand the changing times and see the various modes of learning.

I do have some Concordance Bibles and books written by some great Theologians. But, I like to do my own interpretations, and continue to evolve in my own faith journey. I am a minimalist when it comes to accumulating stuff..and try not to get attached or keep too many things. I constantly give away books as I get or buy them..and just keep a few - for sentimental reasons.

Appreciate you trying to persuade me:) Enjoy your e-books!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:maybe kindle is cheaper inspite of it's no-resale value

maybe? i just found it is more expensive. still trying to figure out the reason. older had just started "in an antique land" by amitav ghosh. a day later the younger said he wanted to read it. i gave the book to my younger. when the older found out, he got upset. he said he was enjoying it and asked if he could buy it on kindle. i said sure. next day he told me that he had downloaded the free "preview" of the book from kindle, had read it, and wished to buy it on kindle. i said sure. i supposed he had. today i found him reading a book that i could not recognize by the cover. i asked him which book he was reading? it turned out to be the same book. i asked him why was he reading a paperback version? he said that he wanted to double check and found the paperback cheaper. the paperback cost him rs 400. the kindle copy was $9.

i can understand a disparity in price in books bought in US and india, but over kindle?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down