Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile

4 posters

Go down

Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile Empty Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile Empty Re: Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:23 pm

One of the greatest sporting achievements of all time. Even after all these years only a few runners break the 4 minute barrier. I take that back. Just because I take 20 mins to run a mile doesn't mean others professional runners and our resident runner-extraordinaire can't do it faster Razz

Last edited by doofus_maximus on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pure awesomeness.)
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile Empty Re: Bannister, Landy, and the Miracle 4 minute Mile

Post by artood2 Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 pm

doofus_maximus wrote: Just because I take 20 mins to run walk a mile doesn't mean others professional runners and our resident runner-extraordinaire can't do it faster Razz
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:One of the greatest sporting achievements of all time. Even after all these years only a few runners break the 4 minute barrier. I take that back. Just because I take 20 mins to run a mile doesn't mean others professional runners and our resident runner-extraordinaire can't do it faster Razz
You are running for Anna of the year, aren't you?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 pm

I need to learn how to finish a race like Bannister... he had absolutely no juice left when he crossed the line! That's called getting your moneys worth... I gotta learn how to do that the next race, it must take serious balls to ignore his body and use up the last drop!

AnimationGenius 4 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_NzZP_LK0&feature=player_embedded

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:One of the greatest sporting achievements of all time. Even after all these years only a few runners break the 4 minute barrier. I take that back. Just because I take 20 mins to run a mile doesn't mean others professional runners and our resident runner-extraordinaire can't do it faster Razz
You are running for Anna of the year, aren't you?

What does ANNA have to do with anything?

RIP.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

I read Bannister's autobiographical 'Four Minute Mile' last night. Not all of it, because i skimmed through pages i found dry. Bannister tends to become dry whenever he starts becoming philosophical. He is at his best when describing a race or when giving insights into the art of racing. In at least one instance his philosophical digressions were really illuminating: when he said that after his initial successes in running he kept tasting defeats five or six times in a row. He was still enjoying running though and so kept going.

Quite amazing that Bannister--the first person in history recorded to have run a mile in under four minutes--was a medical student and shortly after the race with Landy he retired from athletics to focus on being a professional doctor.

Bannister talks in his book about how the ancient Greeks would emphasize on having a healthy mind in a healthy body and how professional sportspersons in ancient Greece would also participate in dramatics and other cultural activities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 pm

hicham el gerrouj of morocco breaking the one-mile world record of noureddine morcelli of algeria in 1999. el gerrouj's new record: 3 min, 43.13 sec; morcerlli's earlier record: 3 min. 43.39 sec, which had stood for about seven years.

for much of the race, el gerrouj, in blue shorts, is just behind the africans in yellow tops. exciting race. beautiful strides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvCsj7eJKKA&feature=related

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:hicham el gerrouj of morocco breaking the one-mile world record of noureddine morcelli of algeria in 1999. el gerrouj's new record: 3 min, 43.13 sec; morcerlli's earlier record: 3 min. 43.39 sec, which had stood for about seven years.

for much of the race, el gerrouj, in blue shorts, is just behind the africans in yellow tops. exciting race. beautiful strides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvCsj7eJKKA&feature=related

Bannister opines in an afterward to the fiftieth anniversary of his book as to why the record for the mile keeps getting broken: modern runners are undergoing more and more rigorous training. No longer can a medical student like himself hope to break the record.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:13 pm

hicham el gerrouj was a big time doper. Never got caught. His training partners were caught few years ago. 90s were the dope era in athletics.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down