Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Child Labor in India

4 posters

Go down

Child Labor in India Empty Child Labor in India

Post by Impedimenta Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm

just browsing thro nytimes with my morning coffee, my daughter happened to peek in and read two lines of this and gasped in shock!

may not be that shocking for us who kinda have seen or heard this kind of behavior going on for several years.

Maid’s Cries Cast Light on Child Labor in India

the behavior of the entitled rich, when there is no enforced laws to demand that people act with human decency. Again, disgusting, on several levels. It's despicable, but I can't say shocking, because it happens all the time, especially in DC and NY, where there are lots of diplomats. From what i hear, it is not limited to Indians. I think American embassies, when issuing visas to domestics to work for diplomats in the US, should provide some kind of fact sheet, including what to do if abused and not in possession of one's passport.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Child Labor in India Empty Re: Child Labor in India

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 pm

The International Labor Organization has found that India has 12.6 million laborers between the ages of 5 and 14,
with roughly 20 percent working as domestic help. Other groups place
the figure at 45 million or higher. Unicef has said India has more child
laborers than any other country in the world.

What a shame!

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 pm

It used to be that rich families with maids would usually take care of their maids and their kids. They pay for education, weddings, festivals and medical expenses. It was almost like they were part of their families.
Rapid urbanization and nouveau riche have abandoned this practice and have become ruthless.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:36 pm

why is this news?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:38 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:It used to be that rich families with maids would usually take care of their maids and their kids. They pay for education, weddings, festivals and medical expenses. It was almost like they were part of their families.
Rapid urbanization and nouveau riche have abandoned this practice and have become ruthless.

what are you smoking, boy? this is such bullshit.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:why is this news?

obviously because it was on new york times.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:45 pm

as i see it, if you're growing up in a country with little opp to get an education, it doesn't hurt to earn money doing a few domestic chores. i've seen little kids in mumbai do this and that to make some money. it's okay so long as one is not being overworked or abused.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Impedimenta wrote:just browsing thro nytimes with my morning coffee, my daughter happened to peek in and read two lines of this and gasped in shock!

may not be that shocking for us who kinda have seen or heard this kind of behavior going on for several years.

Maid’s Cries Cast Light on Child Labor in India.

Life was so much easier when the hubby used to look over your shoulder at your computer.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down