Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights?

+5
FluteHolder
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MulaiAzhagi
MaxEntropy_Man
Kris
9 posters

Go down

Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights? Empty Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights?

Post by Kris Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Read the readers' comments. I am also unclear on the purpose of the petition to the White House. Is the expectation that Obama will nullify the jury's verdict?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Businessmen-campaign-to-save-Indian-student-in-US/articleshow/12564835.cms

Kris

Back to top Go down

Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights? Empty Re: Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 am

dharun ravi's predicament is no joke, but thanks for posting this. to all those on this site who think we are in a post-1965 world with regards to all the regional and language issues, this is a good wake up call. all of it is still very much there, simmering just below the surface. tamilians will have to be ever vigilant not to allow their identities get diluted by an overarching national identity.

(signing off with the full expectation of getting barraged with posting diarrhea with links, underlining, and bolded excerpts)
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights? Empty Re: Dharun Ravi- another cause for regional fights?

Post by Kris Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:07 pm

still very much there, simmering just below the surface.

>>>>The bane of India ! I was puzzled by the article on the aspect of petitioning the White House, but was floored when I got to the comments, with all the baser instincts coming out.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:59 pm

===> When I was in India, I used to work in a government organization in Nasik, Maharashtra. My team leader was a Kashmiri. His name was Dhar. The Tamils working there used to celeberate the harvest festival Pongal. The Kashmiri idiot used to make fun of that.

I think Tamils are putting up with all the name calling and bigotry from NIs because they love India. If NIs continue to behave this way, soon Tamils will start supporting the likes of KV.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Kris wrote:still very much there, simmering just below the surface.

>>>>The bane of India ! I was puzzled by the article on the aspect of petitioning the White House, but was floored when I got to the comments, with all the baser instincts coming out.

Naardhies are jealous of Tamilians....Razz

Their IQ is generally lower - and we should forgive them - due to our much higher intelligence. All the hard work of Adi Sankar and Ramanujam have been replaced with iSlaami's influence.

But, we should forgive them....Razz

(This does not apply to all the Naardhie women (only) here on SuCH)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:dharun ravi's predicament is no joke, but thanks for posting this. to all those on this site who think we are in a post-1965 world with regards to all the regional and language issues, this is a good wake up call. all of it is still very much there, simmering just below the surface. tamilians will have to be ever vigilant not to allow their identities get diluted by an overarching national identity.

(signing off with the full expectation of getting barraged with posting diarrhea with links, underlining, and bolded excerpts)

in my opinion, with more and more inter regional marriages taking place, the problem of regionalism will cease to be an issue over a period of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> When I was in India, I used to work in a government organization in Nasik, Maharashtra. My team leader was a Kashmiri. His name was Dhar. The Tamils working there used to celeberate the harvest festival Pongal. The Kashmiri idiot used to make fun of that.

I think Tamils are putting up with all the name calling and bigotry from NIs because they love India. If NIs continue to behave this way, soon Tamils will start supporting the likes of KV.

i took a quick look at some of the comments. three of them slammed tamilians in general. one of the posters claimed to be posting from a city in punjab, the other from gurgaon, and yet another with handle name 'basava' from bangalore. i would submit that this basava could be a kannadiga.

regionalism is definitely a problem but with more and more inter regional marriages it will cease to be an issue over a period of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:27 pm

regionalism is definitely a problem but with more and more inter regional marriages it will cease to be an issue over a period of time.

>>

This maynot be the solution. The maturity to understand the diversity and respect for each language/region/culture is more important and that alone will help solve the issue.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:26 am

FluteHolder wrote:regionalism is definitely a problem but with more and more inter regional marriages it will cease to be an issue over a period of time.

>>

This maynot be the solution. The maturity to understand the diversity and respect for each language/region/culture is more important and that alone will help solve the issue.

i agree that all indians need to inculcate cultural sensitivity but in my opinion the problem of cliquishness and 'tribal loyalty' can only be eliminated permanently through the means of more and more inter regional (and also inter caste and ultimately even inter religious) marriages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 am

hahaha. these businessmen are stupid. is this the latest fad? collecting signatures for online petitions? and to top it, they are doing it to intervene the judicial process of another country. if this is not stupidity, then i don't know what is.

do they think they can put pressure on the american judiciary like those candle-holders did in india in (poor*) manu sharma's case?

* poor because he was convicted of a murder when it should have been only homicide/manslaughter only because these candle-holders arm-twisted the judiciary with the help of media.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:07 am

Another Brick wrote:do they think they can put pressure on the american judiciary like those candle-holders did in india in (poor*) manu sharma's case?

* poor because he was convicted of a murder when it should have been only homicide/manslaughter only because these candle-holders arm-twisted the judiciary with the help of media.

You, sir, are belittling the essence of democracy. When judges hand out sentences which are lighter than what the people of the nation expect, that is a travesty of justice. Democracy, as you know, is for the people and by the people. A judiciary that goes against the will of the people is out of line with the very essence of democracy. Sufficient numbers of people shall then march onto the streets, holding aloft candles, and sufficient hysteria generated in the media to force the courts to fall in line. In case they refuse, then the accused shall be tried in the court of the people and strung up from the nearest lamp post. I'm Anna and I approve this message.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:In case they refuse, then the accused shall be tried in the court of the people and strung up from the nearest lamp post. I'm Anna and I approve this message.

speaking of hazare and co. whatever has happened to the movement? looks like it has fizzled out beyond repair. the candle-handlers are looking for a new cause, it appears. i wonder if they all burnt their candles for the earth hour or in support of People For Ethical Frying Of Eggs or some such cause.

it was through bal thakre's editorial that i understood hazare and co. had gathered at the jantar mantar (after the sorry display of "support" at BKC) some days ago. it did not make any headlines. ooops X 10 and ouch X 20.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm

FluteHolder wrote:regionalism is definitely a problem but with more and more inter regional marriages it will cease to be an issue over a period of time.

>>

Indeed. The instinct to resort to bigotry is present in all human beings, but it is a matter of character and maturity whether one succumbs to that instinct. Now, no amount of inter-regional marriages will fix the sort of bigotry we saw on this very board a week or two ago.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:47 pm

charvaka wrote:

>>

Indeed. The instinct to resort to bigotry is present in all human beings, but it is a matter of character and maturity whether one succumbs to that instinct. Now, no amount of inter-regional marriages will fix the sort of bigotry we saw on this very board a week or two ago.

for years and years we saw someone turning a blind eye to abusive language of his 'tribal brothers'--used in heated debates-- while questioning similar language used by other posters in heated discussions. this would not have been the case if the poster did not identify himself with a particular 'tribe'.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:dharun ravi's predicament is no joke, but thanks for posting this. to all those on this site who think we are in a post-1965 world with regards to all the regional and language issues, this is a good wake up call. all of it is still very much there, simmering just below the surface. tamilians will have to be ever vigilant not to allow their identities get diluted by an overarching national identity.

I find it ridiculous that folks here are getting irate and discussing someone's comments from Toilet paper of India. What next.. parsing and discussing Youtube comments and Rediff comments..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down