Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tsunami warning across Indian ocean

+4
Another Brick
Maria S
Merlot Daruwala
Rekz
8 posters

Go down

Tsunami warning across Indian ocean Empty Tsunami warning across Indian ocean

Post by Rekz Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02 am

Tremors felt in chennai,kol & b'lore....HK...Richard ju fine?
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Tsunami warning across Indian ocean Empty Re: Tsunami warning across Indian ocean

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02 am

How abt u, rekz? Did the ground under your feet shake?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Tsunami warning across Indian ocean Empty Re: Tsunami warning across Indian ocean

Post by Rekz Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:06 am

Im not sure...mobile fell from desk...

It was on silent/vib mode scratch
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:20 am

ya, my house was slowly vibrating for a full 2 mins. scary. i kept praying it'd pass and not get intense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:26 am

i really hope it does not translate into a tsunami. the next few hours...

4.33 pm tsunami warning for TN coast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:26 am

tsunami fear recedes. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:48 am

Good to know that the Tsunami fears subside in India, and there are no reports (so far) of major devastation in South East Asia.

Take care friends in India.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:53 am

Rekz wrote:Im not sure...mobile fell from desk...

It was on silent/vib mode scratch

scratch indeed

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am

thanks maria. i read someone say that this was a vertical earthquake. it is the horizontal earthquakes that cause tsunamis. don't know about the veracity of that claim (it was attributed to ndma, india, as per the guy). the earthquake we experienced was truly frightening for me. it made me feel as if my house was made of plasticine! we used tata steel while constructing it, yay!

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 am

quakes are scary. especially if you don't live in an individual house or live on a floor higher than the first floor of a tall building. i mean, you have got no time to escape.

shake shake shake shake shake dhaDam dhaD dhaD dhaD ouch... aah... oooi maa... all over... hello mr chitragupta, how do you do?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

Thank god!

All is well at this part of the world.
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:02 am

heard about the tremors and tsunami warnings when I woke up. Frenetic phone calls to folks in TN/KA ensued and all is well now.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Terrifying experience. I was watching the office floor at the top move back and forth for maybe 20 seconds.. Good to see the folks exiting calmly using the stairs for the 9 floors.
Maybe if things started flying it would have been different.

Well.. "Nature" shows it is the BOSS and felt it personally.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

PS, it must have been nerve-wracking. Good to see ppl not panicking. Those hours till they withdrew the tsunami warning must have been hellish.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm

i too spoke to my folks soon after and everyone is ok. the thought that spooks me is the unsecured LPG cylinder (for cooking) at home. i've told my folks to look into putting brackets on walls and running a securing metal chain around the LPG cylinder so that it doesn't topple during a quake. this is becoming all too frequent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i too spoke to my folks soon after and everyone is ok. the thought that spooks me is the unsecured LPG cylinder (for cooking) at home. i've told my folks to look into putting brackets on walls and running a securing metal chain around the LPG cylinder so that it doesn't topple during a quake. this is becoming all too frequent.

Tsunami warning across Indian ocean 3077217049

Topple? Have you seen how they load, unload, drop, and roll it to your kitchen?

You are officially "Americanized" now.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i too spoke to my folks soon after and everyone is ok. the thought that spooks me is the unsecured LPG cylinder (for cooking) at home. i've told my folks to look into putting brackets on walls and running a securing metal chain around the LPG cylinder so that it doesn't topple during a quake. this is becoming all too frequent.

Tsunami warning across Indian ocean 3077217049

Topple? Have you seen how they load, unload, drop, and roll it to your kitchen?

You are officially "Americanized" now.

Lol. My worry is the piped gas here in Mumbai. Movement of the ground could rupture those pipes and lead to multiple fires until they cut off supply.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i read someone say that this was a vertical earthquake. it is the horizontal earthquakes that cause tsunamis. don't know about the veracity of that claim (it was attributed to ndma, india, as per the guy).

(as per today's paper) the opposite is true and the opposite is what had happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down