Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison

4 posters

Go down

MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison Empty MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 pm

A Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher facing federal charges of traveling to Colorado to have sex with children has apparently killed himself in prison, officials said Monday.

Yaron Segal, 30, an Israeli citizen, died Friday, said John Sell, executive assistant with the Federal Correctional Institution Englewood.

Homeland Security Investigations agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested Segal in Grand Junction shortly after he arrived there by plane March 28. Authorities said Segal exchanged sexually explicit emails with an undercover agent and expressed a desire to have sex with two young children, one under the age of 16 and another under the age of 12.

Segal worked as a postdoctoral assistant in MIT's Photovoltaics Research Laboratory, which develops solar energy cells, according to a letter sent to U.S. District Court. Segal was working on developing manufacturing equipment to produce efficient and cost-effective solar cells and intended to produce the first prototype cells this month, according to a letter signed by MIT's Tonio Buonassisi, the lab's principal investigator.

Buonassisi and other MIT officials did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Buonassisi's letter described Segal as well regarded and said Segal was a leader within the research group who closely mentored five graduate students. Segal had also served as the lead in writing six research proposals that raised more than $1.8 million in research funding for the laboratory.

A man believed to be Segal started communicating with the undercover agent in February in chat rooms that referenced child rape, torture, brutality and children as sex slaves, according to an arrest affidavit. Authorities said the man believed to be Segal sent sexually explicit photographs and video of himself via email, spoke to the undercover agent by phone and said he had purchased sex toys for the children.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/04/16/mit_researcher_facing_sex_charges_dies_in_prison/?camp=obinsite

===> I wonder why many parents think being brainy and intellectual is everything in life.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison Empty Re: MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 pm

More details

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/mit-researcher-sex-bust-879124

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison Empty Re: MIT researcher facing sex charges dies in prison

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:19 pm

The probe of Segal began in early-February when a female undercover agent encountered him in a pair of Internet Relay Chat rooms whose titles included the phrases “childslavesex” and "ChildRapeTortureBrutality.” The agent claimed to be the mother of two girls, one 16-years-old, and a second child under the age of 12.

After exchanging some personal information with the undercover (UC) agent, Segal “immediately turned the conversation to sex, and indicated that he wanted to have sexual intercourse with the UC persona and both of her children.” In a subsequent chat, he told the agent of his willingness to travel to Colorado from Massachusetts to have sex with the woman and her children. “i could definitely drop by for a weekend,” he wrote, according to a federal complaint sworn by Vanessa Hipps, the DHS agent who worked in the undercover capacity.

Over the following weeks, Segal continued to “chat via IRC, email, text and Yahoo Chat” with the undercover agent about having sex with her and her children. “A majority of the chats were very sexually explicit,” Hipps reported. During these chats, Segal sent the undercover explicit photos and videos of himself.

In one late-February e-mail, Segal included links to “some Amazon web pages advertising a strap-on dildo and vibrator and indicated the children he wanted to buy them for.” In a March 10 phone conversation, Segal said that he would bring “a dildo, small vibrator for the youngest child” when he flew to Colorado. When Hipps asked why he spoke with an accent, Segal--who identified himself as “Ron”--“indicated that he was originally from Israel.”

On March 16, Segal e-mailed the undercover agent a photo of the sex toys he had purchased on Amazon. “Got the toys,” he wrote, “those are some big cocks.”

On Wednesday, Hipps, acting in her undercover capacity, met Segal in the baggage claim area of the Grand Junction airport. In short order, he was arrested and his name appeared on a two-count felony complaint and arrest warrant.

Segal works in MIT’s Photovoltaic Research Laboratory, where he is “looking into novel ways to passivate Si surfaces that can reduce costs in the PV fabrication process,” according to the university’s web site. At Yale, Segal “studied epitaxial semiconductor-oxide interfaces.”

A call to Segal’s lab was answered by a coworker who appeared unaware of her colleague’s legal troubles. “Yaron’s on vacation,” she said. “I think he’s camping.”

===> Ph.D in Applied Physics from Yale, Post Doc at MIT

But a vile mind.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:A Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher facing federal charges of traveling to Colorado to have sex with children has apparently killed himself in prison, officials said Monday.

Yaron Segal, 30, an Israeli citizen, died Friday, said John Sell, executive assistant with the Federal Correctional Institution Englewood.

Homeland Security Investigations agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested Segal in Grand Junction shortly after he arrived there by plane March 28. Authorities said Segal exchanged sexually explicit emails with an undercover agent and expressed a desire to have sex with two young children, one under the age of 16 and another under the age of 12.

Segal worked as a postdoctoral assistant in MIT's Photovoltaics Research Laboratory, which develops solar energy cells, according to a letter sent to U.S. District Court. Segal was working on developing manufacturing equipment to produce efficient and cost-effective solar cells and intended to produce the first prototype cells this month, according to a letter signed by MIT's Tonio Buonassisi, the lab's principal investigator.

Buonassisi and other MIT officials did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Buonassisi's letter described Segal as well regarded and said Segal was a leader within the research group who closely mentored five graduate students. Segal had also served as the lead in writing six research proposals that raised more than $1.8 million in research funding for the laboratory.

A man believed to be Segal started communicating with the undercover agent in February in chat rooms that referenced child rape, torture, brutality and children as sex slaves, according to an arrest affidavit. Authorities said the man believed to be Segal sent sexually explicit photographs and video of himself via email, spoke to the undercover agent by phone and said he had purchased sex toys for the children.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/04/16/mit_researcher_facing_sex_charges_dies_in_prison/?camp=obinsite

===> I wonder why many parents think being brainy and intellectual is everything in life.

It is all due to the now established "universal 2-sided personality theory" which is sure to win a Nobel prize in medicine.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:15 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

i am not sure i understand your statement above. are you implying that there is a correlation between braininess and intellectualism and a propensity for pedophilia?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

i am not sure i understand your statement above. are you implying that there is a correlation between braininess and intellectualism and a propensity for pedophilia?

Leave sex out of someone's personality - for some that side goes off the track whether they are intellectuals, scientists, doctors, politicians, criminals or the super rich.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:47 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

===> No. I did not mean that.

A lot of parents put too much emphasis on academics to the exclusion of everything else.

Instead they should be telling themselves "the most important thing for me is that my kid is a decent human being. In addition to being good, if he or she is smart that will be wonderful."

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

===> No. I did not mean that.

A lot of parents put too much emphasis on academics to the exclusion of everything else.

Instead they should be telling themselves "the most important thing for me is that my kid is a decent human being. In addition to being good, if he or she is smart that will be wonderful."

>>>> This would be a valid concern if staying away from pedophilia is in the same leagues as life experiences like sports, social skills, whathaveyou. No parent is sitting around thinking 'i don't care of he is a pedophile; the important thing is he aces math'.

Kris

Back to top Go down