Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A postcard arrives after 52 years

5 posters

Go down

A postcard arrives after 52 years Empty A postcard arrives after 52 years

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 01, 2012 2:18 pm

..While the information may be obsolete, the postcard from his Late mom should be of great sentimental value for this man - I think.

How many of you have saved letters from your parents, grandparents, etc?

I have some from with me and rest in India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

A postcard arrives after 52 years Empty Re: A postcard arrives after 52 years

Post by Nila Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Geez! In our family we don't write letters unless we are all pissed off at each other and write really hatred mails to each other - it is no way good for mother earth to save those letters.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Sasthi wrote:Geez! In our family we don't write letters unless we are all pissed off at each other and write really hatred mails to each other - it is no way good for mother earth to save those letters.

They did write letters... you just did not know bcz you were a kid (are a kid...Razz). Am sure ask your dad/mom and they would have saved some, if not grandparents. Being blessed with a decent memory, each letter or piece of object saved by them brings back the situation, people involved in those times, and the entire movie-like memories. As a kid, I stayed in hostel and traveled alone to any and all relative homes. I still try to visit as many as possible whenever I am in India. I even meet my dad's old friends who have known me since I was a small boy. But, of late I realize not everyone is (unnecessarily) senti like me and I should cut down my kid-like relationship with these people.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

..While the information may be obsolete, the postcard from his Late mom should be of great sentimental value for this man - I think.

How many of you have saved letters from your parents, grandparents, etc?

I have some from with me and rest in India.

>>>It all those cutbacks the USPS has been suffering from. Anyway, better late than never-- come sleet or snow or a half a century, your mailman always delivers, looks like.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 pm

I used to have a bunch of letters (inland letters) written by mom to dad years back. But when I moved out of home to Mumbai, someone cleared them all! Still I remember some of the funny ones which were more like a 'expense report' to my Dad who was always at different cities/job postings:)

Now I have some old emails from a late friend and couple of uncles who died few years ago.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 am

It should be hardly a surprise- I have handwritten letters from loved ones- family members, relatives, friends, some who have passed away and some who are very much alive! I have tried to be selective- when it comes to saving them. Yes, I still often write short handwritten notes too, wrote two yesterday:) Americans still write more handwritten notes these days, compared to Indians..they may not be long, but they at least make the effort and take the time to do it.

*I also have e-mails from relatives/friends (some older, some quite young) who have passed away in the last ten years. It is a different kind of ache to see their notes in the inbox. Don't have the heart to delete them.

With time and distance- relationships change. Unless it's mutual affection (some real indication it is) there is no point keeping in touch..only for a select few- love, affection, friendship is unconditional.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down