Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple

+2
Propagandhi711
indophile
6 posters

Go down

Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple Empty Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple

Post by indophile Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 am

The guy, even when not in power, flouts rules so brazenly. Imagine if he ever gets into power. Wonder why they let him get away with that behavior! What are they afraid of? Sonia Gandhi?

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/cities/hyderabad/jagan-tirumala-temple-sparks-row-011

indophile

Back to top Go down

Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple Empty Re: Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 am

in a land of thuggish politicians, he and his dad, along with their "faction" are purest form of thugs - reminds me of saddam in some way.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple Empty Re: Jagan Reddy's visit to Tirupati Temple

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 12:01 pm

There have been demands by some christians that churches shld be allowed to be build on the tirumala hills. Right now, all the seven hills belong to TTD. When YSR was alive, there were rumors that YSR wanted to bring the seven hills under govt's control, have only the top two hills for TTD and declare the rest to the public, thereby allowing the building of churches on the tirumala hills. Don't know what he'd have done had he been alive.
YSR family is clearly not hindu. They don't believe in hindu gods. So why this drama in visiting hindu temples? Pretty disrespectful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm

kinnera wrote:There have been demands by some christians that churches shld be allowed to be build on the tirumala hills. Right now, all the seven hills belong to TTD. When YSR was alive, there were rumors that YSR wanted to bring the seven hills under govt's control, have only the top two hills for TTD and declare the rest to the public, thereby allowing the building of churches on the tirumala hills. Don't know what he'd have done had he been alive.
YSR family is clearly not hindu. They don't believe in hindu gods. So why this drama in visiting hindu temples? Pretty disrespectful.

As long as idiots are alive, there will always be a Master to exploit them.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
kinnera wrote:There have been demands by some christians that churches shld be allowed to be build on the tirumala hills. Right now, all the seven hills belong to TTD. When YSR was alive, there were rumors that YSR wanted to bring the seven hills under govt's control, have only the top two hills for TTD and declare the rest to the public, thereby allowing the building of churches on the tirumala hills. Don't know what he'd have done had he been alive.

As long as idiots are alive, there will always be a Master to exploit them.

true. AP'ites are such idiots!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 pm

I have not been to Thirupathi..but, have been to many temples all over South India..and have never been asked to sign any document proclaiming my faith. I/We did not worship, but behaved appropriately, showed respect- the priest almost offered prasadham (can't think of any incident- where it was not offered)..and always recieved it, so did other Non-Christians.

Political aspects/motivations in this news story aside (which are obvious)..these rules/policies in temples, which exist are interesting.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 pm

I guess there is no consistency in rules. When Meera Jasmine, a Syrian Christian movie actress, entered some temple in Kerala, she had to apologize, and even contribute to some charity, whereas there are other temples you can freely walk in and out. Even dress code -- Say in Tirupati/Great Temple in Tanjavur/Meenakshi temple in Madurai you can go in normal clothes (only if you do some special puja like kalyanam or something, they will insist you wear Indian clothes. But in Kanyakumari and Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Trivandrum, you have to jettison your "western" street clothes in room outside the temple, wear a lungi with no shirt (they rent washed and ironed lungis) before they let you in. Somewhat similar rules for women -- no dresses (gowns), no Punjabi dresses, and of course no shorts and such. You must wear a sari, half-sari, or if too young, an Indian skirt and blouse.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Indo, Lungi is very different from Veshti. Lungi AFAIK will not be allowed to be worn inside any temple.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Maria S wrote:I have not been to Thirupathi..but, have been to many temples all over South India..and have never been asked to sign any document proclaiming my faith. I/We did not worship, but behaved appropriately, showed respect- the priest almost offered prasadham (can't think of any incident- where it was not offered)..and always recieved it, so did other Non-Christians.

Political aspects/motivations in this news story aside (which are obvious)..these rules/policies in temples, which exist are interesting.

Maria, some old temples do have such rules. These rules are not new, have been there since decades. There's nothing wrong in hindus feeling over-protective about their temples. They have a history of being plundered and looted ruthlessly coz they have been viewed as the satanic places of pagan idol worshipers. It's viewed as idol worshiping by the ones who don't understand the religion. So yeah, it's nothing outrageous to ask non-hindus to sign some papers proclaiming their respect and faith in the religion.

Such temples are clearly not for ones who believe that their religion is the one and only true religion, the god of their scriptures is the one and only true god, their scriptures are the one and only true words of god, and their way is the one and only way to reach god.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Indo, Lungi is very different from Veshti. Lungi AFAIK will not be allowed to be worn inside any temple.

I always thought veshti is something that's pretty formal with a rich look. About the dress code, when I said lungi, I meant something like the cotton cloth that the priests wear. If it's called a veshti, then veshti it is.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Kinnera,

I certainly understand the historical context, sensitivity and security related issues. And I really can't comment on what Hindus or others should do about their places of worship- found them interesting, that's all.

But, I can comment about Christians and Churches..and how they should open up Churches..to everyone without any exceptions, expectation or demands. Unless someone behaves badly (that certainly includes Christians!) is disrespectful or desecrates holy symbols- they should absolutely be allowed.

I just read what you posted:

"Such temples are clearly not for ones who believe that their religion is the one and only true religion, the god of their scriptures is the one and only true god, their scriptures are the one and only true words of god, and their way is the one and only way to reach god."

Oh, wow! Obviously, you mean Christians.. and temples are not for us- and we should stay away-should not be allowed.

You are entitled to your views..my view, as I said above, anyone from any religion or someone with no religion- no matter what their beliefs may be (even mass murderers), should be allowed inside a Church..if they wanted to..simply come inside and quietly attend a service or pray.

*I would certainly condemn any Church- which does not allow that.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Maria S wrote:Kinnera,

I certainly understand the historical context, sensitivity and security related issues. And I really can't comment on what Hindus or others should do about their places of worship- found them interesting, that's all.

But, I can comment about Christians and Churches..and how they should open up Churches..to everyone without any exceptions, expectation or demands. Unless someone behaves badly (that certainly includes Christians!) is disrespectful or desecrates holy symbols- they should absolutely be allowed.

"Such temples are clearly not for ones who believe that their religion is the one and only true religion, the god of their scriptures is the one and only true god, their scriptures are the one and only true words of god, and their way is the one and only way to reach god."

Oh, wow! Obviously, you mean Christians.. and temples are not for us- and we should stay away-should not be allowed.

You are entitled to your views..my view, as I said above, anyone from any religion or someone with no religion- no matter what their beliefs may be (even mass murderers), should be allowed inside a Church..if they wanted to..simply come inside and quietly attend a service or pray.

Not just christians, don't all abrahamic faiths believe what I wrote? So if they don't believe in other ways to the supreme, why even bother to go to the temples? This fella Jagan is clearly a staunch christian. His brother-in-law is an evangelist who is trying to convert as many hindus as he can. (He's also involved in a multi crore mining racket some time ago, btw). Here are some of his videos too https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brother+anil+kumar&oq=brother+anil+kumar&aq=f&aqi=g7g-m1&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3..0l7j0i5.601.7905.0.8261.23.19.2.2.2.0.58.945.19.19.0...0.0.

So yeah, why shld Jagan even bother to go to the tirupati temple, if not for hindu support. How difficult is it to just sign the papers that he respects and believes in hinduism?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Ok Kinnera.

Don't know much about Jagan- except, some basic info about his well-known father. He does not represent all Christians, and I don't represent all Christians!

You and I may have very different views about faith, religion and access to places of worship- for ALL. Think we'll will leave it at that!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 pm

who is Jagan Reddy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Maria S wrote:Ok Kinnera.

Don't know much about Jagan- except, some basic info about his well-known father. He does not represent all Christians, and I don't represent all Christians!

You and I may have very different views about faith, religion and access to places of worship- for ALL. Think we'll will leave it at that!

Ya Maria. Whatever views that I express, there's nothing personal. I have my views coz of my background, you have yours coz of your own background. We may have diametrically opposite views and may argue until the cows come home, but that will only be limited to the clash of views/opinions. Nothing personal there Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:who is Jagan Reddy?

Jagan Reddy is the son of late Rajasekhar Reddy, the CM of AP. His father was a crook, a wolf in sheep's clothing. He became popular coz of the populist schemes of giving away free stuff to ppl. If his schemes had continued for his second term (he died within a coupla months of getting re-elected for the second term), the AP coffers would've been totally empty and the state would've gone bankrupt. Anyway, Jagan Reddy is a bigger crook than his father who is aiming to be the CM of AP. The black money he and his BIL amassed is mind boggling.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:who is Jagan Reddy?

He is the son of the former Chief Minister of Andhra, Y.S.R. Reddy. Among all the corrupt politicians who have a shot at the CM post, he is one. He split from Congress when Sonia Gandhi bypassed him and made someone else the CM (remember it's Sonia mata who makes CMs). He has a brother-in-law who is an evangelical preacher. Jagan amassed great wealth through real estate, mining scams, and other means. He still visits places to wipe tears off of people allegedly still grieving his father's death throughout AP.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 pm

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=jagan+reddy

seriously how hard was that?

thnx for hell hated Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Sure Kinnera!

Same here:) Smile
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

When YSR visited Tirupati did he sign these things or it is getting blown out of proportion because it is Jagan who is doing it?
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 am

doofus_maximus wrote:When YSR visited Tirupati did he sign these things or it is getting blown out of proportion because it is Jagan who is doing it?

Yes, YSR sure signed it. In fact, Jagan's camp followers claim that because YSR had already done it, there is no need for the son to do it. Whatever the dad did in terms of political expression of faith is automatically passed down to the "little" guy.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Maria,

Tirupati, Puri Jagannath and few other very big and tradionalist temples have this rule of signing a statement of respect for non hindus. According to news papers this practice existed in Tirupati since 1933. It has been adhered to by most non hindu celebrities including Dr. Kalam.

One of the recent controversies was when Sonia Gandhi visited tirupati, YSR as CM took her inside the temple with out signing the statement. It was hushed up quickly then.

In this particular incident, Jagan and his 60 plus followers also caused big raucus outside the time by raising political slogans. Political propaganda is prohibited near temple. Election code is in force in tirupati at this time due to local bye elections.

What Jagan did was just thumbing the nose at every institution. He has this complete disregard to other people's feelings and has this super ego that can only think of himslef as the center of life. (the word is megalomaniac).

Jagan being christian is not an issue by itself as AP has voted for his father twice(sonia gandhi and congress had little to do with congress success in 2009). It would be a sad day if a thug like Jagan becomes the leader of AP. The damage he could cause to AP and its future would be immense.

However, if people of AP vote for him then they deserve what follows that vote.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks for your response TBT.

These days, I am not following too much politics in India..unless, I come across something in the headlines or Facebook.

I wanted to be detached from US politics too (used to be really interested!) But, something happens when politics become hot, esp. in a Presidential election year! Can't help, but slowly be drawn to it, like I am being now..going to resist as much as possible:)

take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Maria S wrote:Kinnera,

I am for all temples to open up for everyone - no exception (except the iSalamis to be double checked for bombs hidden in their shoes and pants).

But, a things stand, Puri, Guruvayoor, etc still follow strict rule that no non-hindu should enter those temples. Of course any Indian muslim and christian does not look any different and it is based on honor system. If one were to openly acknowledge his non-hindu faith, he will not be allowed.

* he also = She
** Whites obviously are recognizable and assumed to be non hindu
*** even if the whites wear Janiwar like hte Hare Krishnas they are denied entry - bcz in strict hinduism no outsider can be converted into a hindu (similar to the orthodox and hasidic judaism.

**** Guruvayoor and Puri stopped even the mighty Indira that too, during the emergency period.
***** Budhists, Sikhs, Jains are allowed in these temples as they are considered part of Hinduism.
****** hopefully Jesus also will be converted to hinduism and called the tenth vishnu avatar in another 200 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down