Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One of the reasons why India does not have someone like Steve Jobs

Go down

One of the reasons why India does not have someone like Steve Jobs Empty One of the reasons why India does not have someone like Steve Jobs

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Until the 1980s, the university profile of the IAS officers used to be homogeneous and primarily based on humanities (Subramaniam 1971). But among the IAS recruited between 2001 and 2005, only one third were arts graduates, 13% science graduates, the majority holding a professional degree, with 25% engineers, 15% medical doctors, 8% managers (MBAs) and 6% lawyers (LBSNAA database). Economic reforms and more remunerative employment opportunities in the private sector were expected to make the civil service less attractive. Yet, the prestige of the civil service is still very high, and its members enjoy a status and influence in society that compensate for their comparatively low salaries. Some young professionals even quit their job to join the IAS. As one of them states: ‘Even if I become the CEO of my company, I am still a nobody in the eyes of the public, I have no social recognition on a large scale. When I go out, I am anonymous. But as an IAS, if I go to visit a village, the whole population will be out to welcome me’. Others explain that they wanted to have a professional degree to be able to find a job in case they could not succeed in the civil service examination.

...the development level of a state comes into consideration both ways, since comparatively backward states like Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh offer different types of advantages to the officers, especially in terms of prestige and power. According to one probationer, ‘in these ‘feudal’ states, IAS officers are considered as Ma-Bap of the people, if not as demigods. Moreover, illiterate people don’t create as much trouble as the educated, like in Kerala where people know their rights and keep on fighting for them’. This can explain why backward states are also frequently mentioned in the list of cadre wishes.

http://samaj.revues.org/633

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down