Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts on casteism and caste based reservations

Go down

Random Thoughts on casteism and caste based reservations Empty Random Thoughts on casteism and caste based reservations

Post by Guest Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 am

There is no harm in trying to obtain a deeper understanding of the origin and ideological justification of the caste system.

On the other hand, in my opinion, caste based reservations for student admissions and government service will only help to perpetuate the caste system. Reservations for dalits has some basis: dalits particularly in rural India continue to face exploitation and continue to live in extreme poverty. But reservations for any other community is completely unjustified in my opinion.

OBC community in my opinion does not deserve any reservation benefits. I will give the example of the state i know best: Uttar Pradesh. In UP, the largest OBC communities are Yadavas and Kurmis. In rural UP, these are prosperous, land owning communities. In contrast, dalits tend to be laborers with no land of their own who work for land owning farmers.

Peculiar things have happened because of caste based reservations. We have instances of communities resorting to violence and bandhs so as to get themselves declared OBC and start availing the benefits of reservation:

http://post.jagran.com/jats-intensify-protests-call-for-haryana-bandh-1331365133

Jats in Rajasthan are considered OBC while Jats in UP are not. Another example of the inherent madness in the system of caste based reservations.

Lack of sufficient resources makes everyone behave like this, so i do not blame the people of India for behaving in this fashion. The blame must rest squarely on our politicians, starting from VP Singh who was the first to start implementing OBC reservations. The Indian Supreme Court, which upheld the political decision in a split decision, is also to blame for this situation to develop in which Indian society has been deliberately made more divisive.

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts on casteism and caste based reservations Empty Re: Random Thoughts on casteism and caste based reservations

Post by Guest Wed May 23, 2012 9:16 am

Another example of the idiocy in caste based reservations:
caste is said to follow from the father. so accordingly if a dalit or OBC hindu male marries an upper caste hindu female, their children will avail the benefits of reservations. But if a dalit or OBC female marries an upper caste male, their children will not have reservation benefits.

The correct approach of course is to not let children of these kind of mixed marriages have any reservation benefits. This will help phase out caste based reservations gradually.

Back to top Go down