Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shitty office politics!

4 posters

Go down

Shitty office politics! Empty Shitty office politics!

Post by harharmahadev Mon May 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I got caught up in some shitty office politics...however, I've realized that even I've become good at playing this game. Some of these white choots think that desis aren't good at playing gora politics. However, goras underestimate/stereotype very quickly...and that doesn't work out very well for them!

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Shitty office politics! Empty Re: Shitty office politics!

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 3:20 am

what exactly is office politics? i have never experienced any politics at work. is that favoritism? i hear a lot of people say "bahut politics hai, yaar." i stare at their faces not knowing what it means. any person who does not get what he wants at his work blames it on some politics (i am not saying you are).

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 3:23 am

i think indians love the word "politics" and they like to use it often - even when their kaamwali bai accepts work from their neighbour they have had bitter fights with.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 17, 2011 3:35 am

Another Brick wrote:what exactly is office politics? i have never experienced any politics at work. is that favoritism? i hear a lot of people say "bahut politics hai, yaar." i stare at their faces not knowing what it means. any person who does not get what he wants at his work blames it on some politics (i am not saying you are).
+1. When people say office politics, I begin imagining DKheads, CONwallahs, p-secs, f-secs and chaddis in the office and begin laughing out loud.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 3:57 am

Another Brick wrote:what exactly is office politics? i have never experienced any politics at work. is that favoritism? i hear a lot of people say "bahut politics hai, yaar." i stare at their faces not knowing what it means. any person who does not get what he wants at his work blames it on some politics (i am not saying you are).

if you dont mind, AB, what level of management are you at? middle/sr/exec. ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 3:58 am

harharmahadev wrote:I got caught up in some shitty office politics...however, I've realized that even I've become good at playing this game. Some of these white choots think that desis aren't good at playing gora politics. However, goras underestimate/stereotype very quickly...and that doesn't work out very well for them!

give us the whole story!

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 am

nutmeg wrote: if you dont mind, AB, what level of management are you at? middle/sr/exec. ?

no, i don't mind at all. you may even ask me "kaun se rang ki..." and my answer will be White.

to quote uppili, i am a code coolie. a glorified one (just by the title) now that i am in india. i know what you are getting at, though - that such "politics" must be affecting execs a lot. but then i hear my peers blame it on some imagined politics. what politics can affect programmers?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 4:38 am

charvaka wrote: When people say office politics, I begin imagining DKheads, CONwallahs, p-secs, f-secs and chaddis in the office and begin laughing out loud.

your guru garu is missing you as much as you are missing him. he dedicated a thread to you and hawking on CH yesterday. at times, i imagine how it would be if you were ever to travel to h'bad on the same flight, sitting next to each other, having discovered each other's sulekha identity. i would like to occupy the seat behind you two.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 17, 2011 5:13 am

Another Brick wrote:
i hear my peers blame it on some imagined politics. what politics can affect programmers?

At lower levels, "politics" usually means (a) favoritism / disfavoritism or (b) stealing ideas / claiming credit for someone else's contributions.

At higher levels, I've come to learn that it's usually about one's turf, access to and influence in the C-Suite.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 6:04 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote: At lower levels, "politics" usually means (a) favoritism / disfavoritism or (b) stealing ideas / claiming credit for someone else's contributions.

At higher levels, I've come to learn that it's usually about one's turf, access to and influence in the C-Suite.

but does that involve sabotaging others' interests and manipulations? does that involve lying and bytching shamelessly about others? blackmailing? then that can amount to politics of today. but if it is inflating one's own achievements and bragging, then it is not.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 6:10 am

it is a lot about personal agendas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 6:11 am

Another Brick wrote:

but does that involve sabotaging others' interests and manipulations? does that involve lying and bytching shamelessly about others? blackmailing? then that can amount to politics of today. but if it is inflating one's own achievements and bragging, then it is not.

it is a lot about personal agendas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 6:37 am

meghana natrajan, i have suddenly developed interest in knowing where you work. which city? are you an exec? a bored member?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 6:41 am

Another Brick wrote:meghana natrajan, i have suddenly developed interest in knowing where you work. which city? are you an exec? a bored member?

you talking to me?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 am

yes, that's what i think is your name. nutmeg - natrajan meghana.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 7:29 am

Another Brick wrote:yes, that's what i think is your name. nutmeg - natrajan meghana.

nice. to answer your previous q, i am no exec. just another cog in the wheel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down