Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race Kalpana had to run -- another IIT-JEE

Go down

Race Kalpana had to run -- another IIT-JEE Empty Race Kalpana had to run -- another IIT-JEE

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 am

sad, bad, utterly hopeless. recent civic elections in west bengal show that TMC (mamata banerjee) has not lost her sway.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120607/jsp/frontpage/story_15580267.jsp#.T9DHBrXpXE4

Kalpana Barman ran the race of her young life today — at 40°C and the humidity pushing 80 per cent at the Royal Calcutta Turf Club compound.

The daughter of a poor farmer in Cooch Behar could not afford to shield herself from the merciless sun. She had to sprint 400 metres in two minutes to qualify for the next two steps to a job in police and realise her dream of earning two square meals for five members of her family back home.

“I took a deep breath and ran for my life,” said Kalpana, 20. “Sweat was dripping down my eyelids and it was difficult to see. The heat was unbearable but I had to run.”

She was appearing for the physical eligibility test to become a Calcutta police constable.

When she was leaving the turf, where crores are won and lost over thoroughbreds in races that last a few minutes, Kalpana was smiling as she knew she had moved a notch closer to earn around Rs 14,000 a month, the salary of a new recruit in the police ... So punishing was the physical endurance test that Abhishek Pal, 22, a resident of Noapara, died tonight after he fell unconscious and was taken to SSKM hospital. He, along with three others, had taken ill after running 1,600 metres — the men’s qualifying distance — in the heat. ... Before Pal’s death, a senior official had said: “Those who will be inducted to the force will have to work under such adverse weather conditions and so they have to clear the endurance test.”... Behind Kalpana stood Tapas, her other brother. Having completed his Plus-2, Tapas, too, had taken today’s test but finished 10 seconds beyond the target. ... An officer confirmed that many like Tapas had failed to clear the endurance test by a few seconds in the past few days primarily because of the weather.

Back to top Go down

Race Kalpana had to run -- another IIT-JEE Empty Re: Race Kalpana had to run -- another IIT-JEE

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:26 pm

So punishing was the
physical endurance test that Abhishek Pal, 22, a resident of Noapara,
died tonight after he fell unconscious and was taken to SSKM hospital.

He, along with three others, had taken ill after running 1,600 metres —
the men’s qualifying distance — in the heat. ... Before Pal’s death, a
senior official had said: “Those who will be inducted to the force will
have to work under such adverse weather conditions and so they have to
clear the endurance test.”...

Shocked

Back to top Go down