Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

admin charvaka IP watcher

+7
CroMagnon
Admin
charvaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
Another Brick
gsip
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

admin charvaka IP watcher Empty admin charvaka IP watcher

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 am

why hav u been misleading evry1 here? there is a big "find ip" button tat u cant miss as an admin. why hav u been saying dat u cannot see any IP

gsip

Back to top Go down

admin charvaka IP watcher Empty Re: admin charvaka IP watcher

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:44 am

Welcome, gsip.

What was your handle on Sulekha?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 12:51 am

gsip wrote:why hav u been misleading evry1 here? there is a big "find ip" button tat u cant miss as an admin. why hav u been saying dat u cannot see any IP

so what? what will the admin do with my IP address? pickle it?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 am

admin can nuke my microwave with my ip address. you don't know java.

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:03 am

if u r not vorried abt IP security not a concern for you. admin is misleading every1 and i m just saying it. i created a dummy forum on forumotion and "FIND IP" button is there on each post. this is for people who are worried about IP tracing. others can ignore it.

it says here

http://help.forumotion.com/t35185-run-through-of-the-admin-panel

Run through of the admin panel

Post by Darren1 on January 25th 2009, 3:19 pm
Id like to make note before we start with the tutorial.
In this tutorial, I am using the Advanced mode of the Administration Panel

Home Tab:

Here, you can find IP address information of users that are currently signed in, and what page their looking at, also find out the latest news forum ForuMotion, and some Statistics too.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:06 am

Another Brick wrote:
gsip wrote:why hav u been misleading evry1 here? there is a big "find ip" button tat u cant miss as an admin. why hav u been saying dat u cannot see any IP

a lot of people can figure out quite a few things based on what you posted and your IP address. if u r not bothered, good for you.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:09 am

wikipedia discloses your ip address to the public if you contribute content. so wikipedia is evil?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:11 am

gsip wrote:
Another Brick wrote:

a lot of people can figure out quite a few things based on what you posted and your IP address. if u r not bothered, good for you.

so could the mods. of old ch. so could satya prabhakar. did that worry you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 1:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:admin can nuke my microwave with my ip address. you don't know java.

lol

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:15 am

if u vorried abt IP security, u now know that admin can c ur IP addr very easily. if u not vorried, post happy.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 am

gsip wrote:if u vorried abt IP security, u now know that admin can c ur IP addr very easily. if u not vorried, post happy.

You didn't seem to mind it when faceless Sulekha mods had the same access.

Atleast, here I know who the admin is. If my microwave gets nuked, I know who to go after.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:22 am

what is "IP security?" can my IP be tampered by anyone? will that change my location?

IP tells your location. it is not a big breach of information. most of us (99%) have already disclosed our location in discussions. IP does not always precisely track your location either. for example, my IP is 122.173.178.224. it shows new delhi because that's the gateway my provider is using.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 1:24 am

most people on this forum have revealed where they live. what else can one find out from IP? multiple handles, yes, but i don't think that the current members of this forum are interested in creating them. do you work for sulekha? are you XXXtya prabhakar?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am

those who vorried about IP need to be told the truth. others njoy

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what is "IP security?"

If your firewall is down or weak, knowledge of your IP makes it possible for someone to remotely access your machine and steal QueerBee's pictures from your hard disk.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 am

are you vorried about your IP? do you think the admin will now find out who you are?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 am

blabberwock wrote:Welcome, gsip.

click the "find id" button on the left corner

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 am

in all fairness to him, he might have been unaware of this feature (partially due to a lack of interest in knowing this). but i will let him speak up. thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 am

u guyz r naat vorried abt admin misguiding u. he said he dunno how to get IP address when it is tuffer to miss it. if u dunn care look away. let admin answer my question.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Welcome, gsip.

click the "find id" button on the left corner

Ah, thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:47 am

gsip wrote:u guyz r naat vorried abt admin misguiding u. he said he dunno how to get IP address when it is tuffer to miss it. if u dunn care look away. let admin answer my question.

You wrote your first post in proper english. Why this SMS talk now? Is this supposed to be a disguise?

I looked up the forumotion help site you posted and yes, it does talk about IP banning etc. Maybe it is not available to all Admins.

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

in all fairness to him, he might have been unaware of this feature (partially due to a lack of interest in knowing this). but i will let him speak up. thanks for bringing this to our attention.

y dont u create a new forum here and try to miss the FIND IP button on each post.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:51 am

gsip wrote:u guyz r naat vorried abt admin misguiding u. he said he dunno how to get IP address when it is tuffer to miss it. if u dunn care look away. let admin answer my question.

relax a bit. he hasn't spoken up yet. no need to pillory him already. he might have learnt this later (after announcing that IP addresses were hidden from him) and not thought it serious enough to merit an announcement. he is human. more importantly, he has a job and a garden. this is a thankless job that he's doing here. he has made mistakes in this board and he has been quick to amend them when pointed out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 am

gsip wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

y dont u create a new forum here and try to miss the FIND IP button on each post.

frankly speaking, i wouldn't be bothered if the admin can see my IP. besides, creating a new forum to check this is cumbersome and boring.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:more importantly, he has a job and a garden.

hahaha. bye.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 am

yes (as AB also points out) IP info. would greatly bother those wanting to keep multiple handles. i can see why you are concerned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 2:08 am

ha ha, that reminds me. on uncyclopedia, i once saw an amusing id: "registered user of a sockpuppet"

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 2:11 am

blabberwock wrote:

You wrote your first post in proper english. Why this SMS talk now? Is this supposed to be a disguise?

I looked up the forumotion help site you posted and yes, it does talk about IP banning etc. Maybe it is not available to all Admins.

my forum had it when i created it. i tweak nuthin.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 2:13 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ha ha, that reminds me. on uncyclopedia, i once saw an amusing id: "registered user of a sockpuppet"

if u naat bothered.. why u most exshited? eeegnore me and let admin answr 4 peeps who are worried abt it

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 am

if u naat participate this forum, why u most botherd? u work faar sulekha? tel tel.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 2:20 am

gsip wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

my forum had it when i created it. i tweak nuthin.

Yes, You are right. Admin can see the IP of all users.

I will let Carvaka clarify what he can see/not see here.

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 2:22 am

Another Brick wrote:if u naat participate this forum, why u most botherd? u work faar sulekha? tel tel.

osstirch head in sand, just saying.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 18, 2011 2:23 am

Any admin can see/track ip address. In this day of DHCP, at best he can locate the city and/or the ISP name. More than that will require work and/or insider info.

Only forum that does not track ip address is Sulekha. But, then they dont care for anyone other than Muthukumarr.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 2:26 am

In any case, once the forum is up and running, the 'Admin' account can just not be used at all.

Yes, my layers of deception goes for a toss with all this IP address finding but that's okay, I will simply find new, deceptive ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 18, 2011 2:35 am

blabberwock wrote:Yes, my layers of deception goes for a toss with all this IP address finding

Not really. Your layers of deception - or atleast the one succeptible to IP outing - work only on certain people and AFAIK, they are not admins.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 2:37 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Any admin can see/track ip address. In this day of DHCP, at best he can locate the city and/or the ISP name. More than that will require work and/or insider info.

Only forum that does not track ip address is Sulekha. But, then they dont care for anyone other than Muthukumarr.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 am

gsip wrote:
Another Brick wrote:if u naat participate this forum, why u most botherd? u work faar sulekha? tel tel.

osstirch head in sand, just saying.

woman, it is not difficult to find out one's IP address. you can find it by looking at "more details" of an email. what the uff can one do by finding it? location? big deal. i am in pune and i know where most of the posters here live. so what? that's just useless information. as long as they can't find the combination to my safe where i have hidden kilos of dollars (i weigh them), i am ok.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 am

true. but there might be a problem for tineka if tineka wishes to join.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 3:46 am

I haven't been looking for a Find IP button, and I still don't know what Find IP button you are talking about. I rarely login as admin, and when I do, I am trying to figure out how to enable features on the site, not who is logging in from which IP address.

I may be slow to learn the features of this platform, but I have certainly not tried to mislead anyone.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:admin can nuke my microwave with my ip address. you don't know java.
I am making java right now in your microwave oven. Once it is done, I will alert you using your smoke alarm, so you can enjoy the warm cup of coffee -- brought to you by your friendly coffeehouse admin.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
gsip wrote:if u vorried abt IP security, u now know that admin can c ur IP addr very easily. if u not vorried, post happy.

You didn't seem to mind it when faceless Sulekha mods had the same access.

Atleast, here I know who the admin is. If my microwave gets nuked, I know who to go after.
Easy for you to say. Your IP address is my IP address, na.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 am

gsip wrote:those who vorried about IP need to be told the truth. others njoy
For those worried about IP addresses: I was not aware of this IP address feature on this forum. Even when logged in as admin -- which I do rarely -- I haven't seen this mythical Find IP button. Next time I login as admin, I will look for that button.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 4:04 am

gsip, why don't you post the link of the forum you have created? i will join it. you can then find my ip address. you tell me what it is and also tell me "kaun se rang ki... maine." i give you a kilo of dollars. deala or no deala?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 am

LOL! sounds like a deala. let's see what gsip has to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 18, 2011 4:41 am

gsip wrote:y dont u create a new forum here and try to miss the FIND IP button on each post.

Here are a couple of screenshots of how the forum looks to me as admin. Where is this big FIND IP button? I must be missing something.

admin charvaka IP watcher Screen13

admin charvaka IP watcher Screen14
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 am

Admin wrote:
gsip wrote:y dont u create a new forum here and try to miss the FIND IP button on each post.
Here are a couple of screenshots of how the forum looks to me as admin. Where is this big FIND IP button? I must be missing something.
OK, I just figred out which one it is, by comparing the view for Admin with the regular view I am used to as charvaka. It is the ? button with a triangle around it. When you click it, you can see the IP address of the poster. I was better off without that knowledge, but now that I know it, I will try to completely avoid using the Admin account altogether. It's not like we need more features... we can live with what we have.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 am

With great power comes great responsibility. I can visualize Adminman, mild-mannered management consultant during the day and masked crusader at night, who uses his superpowers to unmask nefarious posters hiding under multiple handles to harass the innocent citizenry of Such City.

Last edited by Merlot Daruwala on Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : number confusion)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 5:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:With great power comes great responsibility. I can visualize Adminman, mild-mannered management consultant during the day and masked crusader at night, who uses his superpowers to unmask nefarious posters hiding under multiple handles to harass the innocent citizenry of Such City.

our very own dexter?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:With great power comes great responsibility.

sara bojiji will inform you that with great power come better maids. he will quote examples of shiney ahuja, strauss-kahn, the terminator and perhaps clinton.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 am

LOL. And not to forget himself. Propa had once suggested that Sara Unkil's early experiences with maids may have triggered his subsequent fixation on maid-molestation stories.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next