Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

admin charvaka IP watcher

+7
CroMagnon
Admin
charvaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
Another Brick
gsip
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

admin charvaka IP watcher - Page 2 Empty Re: admin charvaka IP watcher

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:26 am

haha.... in a way, it's a good thing for this forum that this thread came up... people will think twice, maybe thrice before creating a multiple handle, and our times will be better spent than figuring you are-you-this? are-you-that?

Too bad this one came out before tineka and/or bnp joined the forum. I could have given 2, maybe 3 blue flowers to Caruu (note the love here with an extra u), and asked him if the ipaddress is the same... he would have either obliged or told me to take a hike on GWB, but hey, worth the try.

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 am

[quote="gsip"]
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
gsip wrote:

Only forum that does not track ip address is Sulekha. But, then they dont care for anyone other than Muthukumarr.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

My ISP "renews" ip address every 24 hours. of course, my router - still lazy to fix it - disconnects at random every 1 or 2 hours - thus getting itself a new ip address.

What you are saying may be partially true of work places - they might use sticky DHCP.

In any case, there is no 100% security in a public forum. Such ppl should not be posting anything on any site - FB, Twitter, Craiglist, Sulekha or this forum.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:24 pm

[quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]
gsip wrote:
gsip wrote:

Only forum that does not track ip address is Sulekha. But, then they dont care for anyone other than Muthukumarr.

My ISP "renews" ip address every 24 hours. of course, my router - still lazy to fix it - disconnects at random every 1 or 2 hours - thus getting itself a new ip address.

What you are saying may be partially true of work places - they might use sticky DHCP.

In any case, there is no 100% security in a public forum. Such ppl should not be posting anything on any site - FB, Twitter, Craiglist, Sulekha or this forum.

vork places do static IP... VPN von't vork atharwise..

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what is "IP security?" can my IP be tampered by anyone? will that change my location?

IP tells your location. it is not a big breach of information. most of us (99%) have already disclosed our location in discussions. IP does not always precisely track your location either. for example, my IP is 122.173.178.224. it shows new delhi because that's the gateway my provider is using.

tels u use airtel dynamic IP from Kolkata.....

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: can my IP be tampered by anyone? will that change my location?

ROFLMAO.

CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Another Brick wrote:gsip, why don't you post the link of the forum you have created? i will join it. you can then find my ip address. you tell me what it is and also tell me "kaun se rang ki... maine." i give you a kilo of dollars. deala or no deala?

u login to mhy shite frm vork and i tell the color of ur phace...

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 18, 2011 12:34 pm

gsip wrote:u login to mhy shite frm vork and i tell the color of ur phace...

yaai yam poshtng f0m mhy vok playc ownly. pleez porwide mhee da lynk na.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: can my IP be tampered by anyone? will that change my location?

ROFLMAO.

Charvaka, the admin, pliss to change my 'location' using my IP, change it to Paris, France, and get me out of this shythole... flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed May 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:

ROFLMAO.

Charvaka, the admin, pliss to change my 'location' using my IP, change it to Paris, France, and get me out of this shythole... flower

get your own flower and stop copying me.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:42 pm

gsip wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what is "IP security?" can my IP be tampered by anyone? will that change my location?

IP tells your location. it is not a big breach of information. most of us (99%) have already disclosed our location in discussions. IP does not always precisely track your location either. for example, my IP is 122.173.178.224. it shows new delhi because that's the gateway my provider is using.

yes, i just noticed this. this was not the case till a few months ago. airtel must have installed a gateway in kolkata during this time.

of course, in the US, there are too many intl. gateways and your location can be quite accurately determined. however location is not the criteria here. in your case you fear that since you are using a static ip ,that might identify you by the organisation you work for. that's a tough one.

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:

ROFLMAO.

y dont u and Cro go2 whatismyip.com and PM ur IP addr 2 me and lemme help chng location

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed May 18, 2011 12:49 pm

gsip wrote:
Another Brick wrote:
gsip wrote:why hav u been misleading evry1 here? there is a big "find ip" button tat u cant miss as an admin. why hav u been saying dat u cannot see any IP

so what? what will the admin do with my IP address? pickle it?

a lot of people can figure out quite a few things based on what you posted and your IP address. if u r not bothered, good for you.

Can you be more specific about what information can be figured from knowing the IP address, other than the location? That will help us determine if it's worth putting admin through all the efforts to conceal it from him.

If you are going to be making accusations, better be prepared to answer some queries yourself, and provide some useful input.

Admin had said initially that he didn't know how and where to look for IP addresses of posters. He didn't mislead anyone.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 pm

gsip wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:

ROFLMAO.

y dont u and Cro go2 whatismyip.com and PM ur IP addr 2 me and lemme help chng location

And remind me why should I trust you as an admin? There is a reason I post in this forum (or sulekhas, or FB's or twitters - coz they won't release my ip address to anyone except maybe the FBI, in which case I am already screwed).

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
gsip wrote:

yes, i just noticed this. this was not the case till a few months ago. airtel must have installed a gateway in kolkata during this time.

of course, in the US, there are too many intl. gateways and your location can be quite accurately determined. however location is not the criteria here. in your case you fear that since you are using a static ip ,that might identify you by the organisation you work for. that's a tough one.

evr1 who post frm wrk will hav the problem. no argue aneh more. peep needed 2 knw.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
gsip wrote:
Another Brick wrote:
gsip wrote:why hav u been misleading evry1 here? there is a big "find ip" button tat u cant miss as an admin. why hav u been saying dat u cannot see any IP

a lot of people can figure out quite a few things based on what you posted and your IP address. if u r not bothered, good for you.

Can you be more specific about what information can be figured from knowing the IP address, other than the location? That will help us determine if it's worth putting admin through all the efforts to conceal it from him.

If you are going to be making accusations, better be prepared to answer some queries yourself, and provide some useful input.

Admin had said initially that he didn't know how and where to look for IP addresses of posters. He didn't mislead anyone.

wrk places have static IP : no chng. admin knw whr u wrk.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:Can you be more specific about what information can be figured from knowing the IP address, other than the location? That will help us determine if it's worth putting admin through all the efforts to conceal it from him.

Most workplaces have static IPs. If you post from work, your IP address can tell the organization you work for. An email can then be sent anonymously to your organization's HR department telling them someone is misusing company resources by posting on forums.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
gsip wrote:

And remind me why should I trust you as an admin? There is a reason I post in this forum (or sulekhas, or FB's or twitters - coz they won't release my ip address to anyone except maybe the FBI, in which case I am already screwed).

that is a very good point. you risk releasing your (static) ip in about any forum you visit. every other forum you visit has mods. and admins who are privy to this info. one of the reasons this forum was a success is 'cos we all have a lot of trust in admin charvaka (and we have observed him in old ch for the last several years). as poster blabberwock mentioned elsewhere, while remarking on some checks and balances that we were thinking of building here, we should not forget that this site was a success partly 'cos of the trust that we had in a person. your problem is genuine (though not peculiar). you have to take a call on whether to trust the admin or not. like TW says above, though we have NOT made the admin take an oath of secrecy on matters relating to IPs, we understand and trust that he will NEVER release such info. or even let it prejudice him in his discussions here.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed May 18, 2011 1:02 pm

gsip wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:
gsip wrote:
Another Brick wrote:

wrk places have static IP : no chng. admin knw whr u wrk.

Oh, ok. But they can still figure out your work place even you post in sms lingo, right?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 1:24 pm

u understand the issue now.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:we understand and trust that he will NEVER release such info. or even let it prejudice him in his discussions here.
This is something I can commit to 100%. Unless legally compelled to do so by subpoena or equivalent.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 pm

carvaka: i trust you. if you can commit to shutting this forum down if you ever lost interest in keeping up the admin responsibilities i am ok with continuing with things as they are. there are people here that i would not want to be in the admin chair.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 7:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:carvaka: i trust you. if you can commit to shutting this forum down if you ever lost interest in keeping up the admin responsibilities i am ok with continuing with things as they are. there are people here that i would not want to be in the admin chair.
One of my favorite songs on trust:
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:carvaka: i trust you. if you can commit to shutting this forum down if you ever lost interest in keeping up the admin responsibilities i am ok with continuing with things as they are. there are people here that i would not want to be in the admin chair.
I commit to never handing over admin responsibilities to anyone else. I hope the forum can sustain itself without admin intervention, if I ever lose interest in it.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 pm

charvaka wrote:
I commit to never handing over admin responsibilities to anyone else. I hope the forum can sustain itself without admin intervention, if I ever lose interest in it.
Do you solemnly swear? Smile
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

gsip wrote:
evr1 who post frm wrk will hav the problem. no argue aneh more. peep needed 2 knw.

Really, why do you have to write like this? You pointed out a very important piece of information and I certainly appreciate that. Folks can now make informed decisions.

You could have done it using your usual ID, at the very least, by using normal English. "aneh" ? "peep"? "mhy"? "shite"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm

blabberwock wrote:

Really, why do you have to write like this? You pointed out a very important piece of information and I certainly appreciate that. Folks can now make informed decisions.

You could have done it using your usual ID, at the very least, by using normal English. "aneh" ? "peep"? "mhy"? "shite"?
Another layer of deception.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 18, 2011 11:34 pm

[quote="gsip"]
gsip wrote:

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 pm

peeps here tlk 2 u 4 long time. dey guess eazy if dey knw whr u wrk.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm

blabberwock wrote:
gsip wrote:

peep naat dinking. dey act stupid. the 2 bros in desh get 2 xzited b4 dinking

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 19, 2011 12:50 am

i dnt und hjy whe bec the is too mch con but wha ihj tht to ghu, rgt?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 am

kaun se rang ki.. safed se peeli ho gayi?

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 am

LOL!

*you should have done the deala with him and looted his safe*

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 am

gsip wrote:kaun se rang ki.. safed se peeli ho gayi?

multicolored today.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 12:12 am

gsip wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
gsip wrote:

vhy peep naat dinking? koz dhey trink. ann whot do dhey trink? laan movvers.

Back to top Go down

gsip wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
gsip wrote:

Back to top Go down

gsip wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
gsip wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 12:20 am

hellooooooooooo.

*vuts gowin yon ere?*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2