Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels

+2
Petrichor
MulaiAzhagi
6 posters

Go down

Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels  Empty Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:25 pm

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/02/153988290/life-behind-the-lobby-indian-american-motel-owners

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels  Empty Re: Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels

Post by Petrichor Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 am

"T Young (TrixieCurler) wrote:
Upon entering a motel office in Nebraska, I was met by the fragrance of Indian spices. When the pretty young lady of the house entered from their home apartment behind the office, I smiled & told her how good it smelled. She smiled apologetically, saying many customers didn't like it & would leave right away. She told me her husband had just returned from a business trip, & had purchased a special cut of meat. She was preparing his favorite meal. We proceeded to talk about Indian food, cooking, spices, etc., & she got me registered for a room. My husband & I had just settled in, about 20 min. later, when there was a quiet knock on the door. There she was, carrying a small, warm, tinfoil pkg: a gift for us from her kitchen. Imagine my delight when I opened it to find 2 tiny lamb chops, fragrant & fresh from their table. I was even happier when my husband declined his share, having just eaten supper at a truck stop about an hour earlier, leaving me the pleasure of both of the chops. Later, I returned to the office to pick up an extra blanket, just in time to see the same young woman getting out of her car with a McDonalds bag. Chagrined to be caught, she told me her children wouldn't eat Indian food. My HappySad tale...."

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels  Empty Re: Life Behind The Lobby' Of Indian-American Motels

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 am

atcg wrote:"T Young (TrixieCurler) wrote:
Upon entering a motel office in Nebraska, I was met by the fragrance of Indian spices. When the pretty young lady of the house entered from their home apartment behind the office, I smiled & told her how good it smelled. She smiled apologetically, saying many customers didn't like it & would leave right away. She told me her husband had just returned from a business trip, & had purchased a special cut of meat. She was preparing his favorite meal. We proceeded to talk about Indian food, cooking, spices, etc., & she got me registered for a room. My husband & I had just settled in, about 20 min. later, when there was a quiet knock on the door. There she was, carrying a small, warm, tinfoil pkg: a gift for us from her kitchen. Imagine my delight when I opened it to find 2 tiny lamb chops, fragrant & fresh from their table. I was even happier when my husband declined his share, having just eaten supper at a truck stop about an hour earlier, leaving me the pleasure of both of the chops. Later, I returned to the office to pick up an extra blanket, just in time to see the same young woman getting out of her car with a McDonalds bag. Chagrined to be caught, she told me her children wouldn't eat Indian food. My HappySad tale...."

sweet. love both ladies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 am

she told me her children wouldn't eat Indian food.

how many moms here (other than bw) have this problem? curious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:43 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

>>> I wouldn't say we necessarily have this problem, but our kids given a choice tend to opt for fast food. Usually it is burgers at certain chains or Mexican at one particular chain known as Chipotles. There is an indian restaurant chain called amber (bay area). We were invited to a birthday lunch there and they really loved the buffet. The conversation during lunch went somewhat like this, much to my wife's chagrin; "if indian food was this good, we could eat it everyday" and then the coup de grace " the last time I had food this good was at that wedding reception in New Jersey". Said reception was my wife's cousin's in new jersey six years ago.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:19 am

Kris wrote: The conversation during lunch went somewhat like this, much to my wife's chagrin; "if indian food was this good, we could eat it everyday" and then the coup de grace " the last time I had food this good was at that wedding reception in New Jersey". Said reception was my wife's cousin's in new jersey six years ago.

yeah. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Older one is like this. And yes, has been told stuff like that by kris's kids in parties. But no way is she getting macdonalds on a day that I cook lamb chops (not that I do). Son plays along different kinds of foods, but eventually he demands the usual dal-sabzi-roti.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:09 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

both my kids love indian food. my son loves spicy south indian food. he would eat anything tasty, indian or non indian as long as it is spicy. My daughter is a bit picky.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

I do. They are ok about indian non-veg, but are picky about indian vegetarian. Dry veggie curries are fine, but anything gravy, they won't touch. They don't eat most indian vegetables, like any of the gourds.

Older one eats sambar, rasam and yogurt rice, provided i mix it for him and hand it to him with a spoon. He doesn't like to mix with his hands nor does he do it with a spoon.

On the days that they don't want to eat the 'crappy stuff' that I make, it's ramen noodles or fruits to the rescue for the younger one. The older one drives to the nearby tacobell or panda express and gets something from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 am

my girls are both different from each other. both will try pretty much anything, but the older one is far less adventurous. however, she is also the one who has shown some interest in learning to cook. she makes a few breads, can cook up some basic pasta dishes and so on. she'll eat anything vegetarian but has a preference for pastas and salads. doesn't have a particular preference for indian food. the younger one is very adventurous, but her favorite staple is southern indian, particularly tambrahm food. and she seeks out and eats the not run-of-the-mill tambrahm stuff -- vadu mangai, manathakkALi pachadi, etc. in addition to everyday stuff. but she also loves exploring other cuisines -- schezwan seafood is her favorite. lately (since the other two family members are not meat eaters), i've been taking her on and off to legal seafoods. she loves lobster, crab, mahi mahi etc.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:my girls are both different from each other. both will try pretty much anything, but the older one is far less adventurous. however, she is also the one who has shown some interest in learning to cook. she makes a few breads, can cook up some basic pasta dishes and so on. she'll eat anything vegetarian but has a preference for pastas and salads. doesn't have a particular preference for indian food. the younger one is very adventurous, but her favorite staple is southern indian, particularly tambrahm food. and she seeks out and eats the not run-of-the-mill tambrahm stuff -- vadu mangai, manathakkALi pachadi, etc. in addition to everyday stuff. but she also loves exploring other cuisines -- schezwan seafood is her favorite. lately (since the other two family members are not meat eaters), i've been taking her on and off to legal seafoods. she loves lobster, crab, mahi mahi etc.
i was cooking indian and italian food recently with d. the indian dish was veget, and the italian pasta sauce, veget, except for a small amt of anchovies, added mostly to enhance the flavour, as if it were a spice.

my c like indian, including syrian christian food, but eat all kinds. i'm trying to get them to eat more veget food. lately, d has been asking me for more indian veget recipes. some yrs ago, her dining hall at her college (one of several within her university) served avial for lunch, based on a recipe i had sent the college's master, in response to his request for the favourite recipes of parents.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 am

kinnera wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

I do. They are ok about indian non-veg, but are picky about indian vegetarian. Dry veggie curries are fine, but anything gravy, they won't touch. They don't eat most indian vegetables, like any of the gourds.

Older one eats sambar, rasam and yogurt rice, provided i mix it for him and hand it to him with a spoon. He doesn't like to mix with his hands nor does he do it with a spoon.

On the days that they don't want to eat the 'crappy stuff' that I make, it's ramen noodles or fruits to the rescue for the younger one. The older one drives to the nearby tacobell or panda express and gets something from there.

>>> Cereal is a fall-back in our house or the older one drives to in -and- out. Yeah, they like panda express too. Of late, the older guy has taken a fancy to bhel puri which I get from the local indian store.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am

mu kids eat about anything. the younger was a finicky eater as a child with regard to meat but now he eats all meats and is the biggest carnivore in the house. fast food is a scourge. the problem is that pizzas and burgers are damn tasty. at least once a week they will order pizzas/burgers/kati-rolls -- including the mom but excluding me. older, like me, is also going through a "predominantly vegetarian" phase. his college will serve NI, SI & chinese vegetarian food in its mess -- should work out

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 am

On the phone:

me: let's go out, its your non-wfh day
her: okay, my eta is 7.40
--------------------

In the family room:

me: stop smiling, are you chatting?
d: nooooo, this hilarious video...here i will send it.
me: okay ok, we need to get ready, we are going out for dinner
d: <groan> where?
me: wherever you want!!

---------------

Car pulls up, we go and slide in...

me: okay where to?
her: wherever you guys want...
d: i know what that means...
me: ok mexican...
her: anything other than mexican
d: i know she ALWAYS wants Indian
her: listen i had that stupid soup for lunch...i am dying for good food
her: why dont you guys have non-indian when i go to work, for lunch
me: ok fine....south indian it is - you, young lady, can have your cheese dosa while we slurp on sambar vadai

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 am

lol atcg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down