Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

all Anand songs

+7
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
artood2
Kris
MulaiAzhagi
Hellsangel
Jeremiah Mburuburu
11 posters

Go down

all Anand songs Empty all Anand songs

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:38 am

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down

all Anand songs Empty Re: all Anand songs

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:Enjoy!
shan't.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:Enjoy!

did you notice ganpat ram at 0:50?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:41 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:did you notice ganpat ram at 0:50?

Masochist! For someone who wasn't going to enjoy it, you pored over it very carefully!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 am

ha ha ha! JM caught with his pants down yet again.

mukesh reminds of my father. he was a big fan of mukesh. we attended several converts by mukesh's son, nitin, who had the same voice and who would proudly sing his father's songs in addition to his own.

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:57 pm

==> How come the heroes in Indian movies always know how to play piano?

I have never seen any piano in any Indian household including the rich ones back home.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:12 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:==> How come the heroes in Indian movies always know how to play piano?

I have never seen any piano in any Indian household including the rich ones back home.

>>>You make it sound like this is the only make-believe aspect. How many times have you seen people break into song and dance on green fields surrounded by snow-capped mountains? Just chalk it up to a few hours of escapism that the man on the street is wiling to pay for/ No harm, no foul.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:==> How come the heroes in Indian movies always know how to play piano?

how many of those households had an artist? did u see tabla/harmonium atleast? I have seen people having mini stages at home, full of all musical instruments. I think the movie people don't go too far from their own profession. Most of the times, atleast in desi movies, the characters have creative professions. And guess it's normal for themselves to have a piano at home. Besides, I think that in this movie Rajesh Khanna's character is that of an artist, hence makes sense for him to know piano.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ha ha ha! JM caught with his pants down yet again.

mukesh reminds of my father. he was a big fan of mukesh. we attended several converts by mukesh's son, nitin, who had the same voice and who would proudly sing his father's songs in addition to his own.

Liked the 'zindagi...' by manna de the most. have also heard him live. was an awesome romantic night (or maybe e'thing at that age was romantic), as he sang his famous songs one by one, even twice, specially Laga Chunari Mein Daag.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:36 am

what no dil-deewana-zindagi wise crack yet!
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:03 am

not unusual at all. we had an electronic piano and we all (including the kids) took piano lessons but then the older wanted to play the violin and the younger guitar and in time all musical instruments disappeared from our house. my bengali (upper) middle class friend had a rented piano in his house. her daughter played the moonlight sonata for me once. she's married and in delhi now and probably has a piano at home. my cousin's kids are into music and have the latest electronic piano and drum kit at home. blabberwock has a piano (owned) at home and she and her kids take piano lessons. in short, it is neither a pursuit of the rich and nor is it an indian/non-indian thing. it's a matter of inclination and interest.

p.s. russi modi once played the piano to accompany einstein on the violin. (oh shoot! this should have been a trivia question!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

p.s. russi modi once played the piano to accompany einstein on the violin. (oh shoot! this should have been a trivia question!)
is/was russi modi a bimaru or a parsi?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:02 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:is/was russi modi a bimaru or a parsi?
he is an indian. we are talking about indians in this thread. please reread earlier posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:58 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
he is an indian. we are talking about indians in this thread. please reread earlier posts.
clearly not. read the title of the thread; it is "all anand songs."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
irrelevant! i was addressing mulaiazhagi. he was talking about "indian households." here is what he said:

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
==> How come the heroes in Indian movies always know how to play piano?

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:14 am

I was talking about Indian households in India. I was talking about places like chennai, mumbai etc.

Almost every desi house in America has an electronic piano. Many ABCD kids here take piano lessons.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
irrelevant! i was addressing mulaiazhagi. he was talking about "indian households." here is what he said:
wrong! my post was relevent to your post that incorrectly said that we are talking about indians in this thread.

btw, indians, and in particular, hindus, don't play the piano; they play with the keys of the piano, picking them with one finger of each hand, until the melody of a song they have in mind emerges. they don't know about notes or chords, and can't read written-down notes. some bimarus get an anglo-indian from the railway colony of ranchi to teach them notes, chords and music. until then, they play the piano like the harmonium.

finally, you can't redeem yourself by claiming to be an "indian" or feigning affinity to southern indians. it's like this: you are a northindian and a bimaru; i am a southern indian.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:42 am

speaking of piano and classical indian music, there was a fellow by the name of v.balsara who used to play hindustani music on the piano (there are a few youtube examples around), but it always sounded like the santoor. it always felt like there was no new ground being broken.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 am

some bimarus get an anglo-indian from the railway colony of ranchi to teach them notes, chords and music. until then, they play the piano like the harmonium.

====> ROFL.

Yes. Piano is alien to the Indian culture. It is really out of place in Indian movies.

BTW the Anglo-Indian tenants we had in Tambaram did not own a piano either. I guess they could not afford one.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:56 am

Sara,

Quite a few Tamil Christians (upper middle class) had pianos/organs in their homes..many of us learned to play and the continue traditions of playing the piano and family members singing hymns along at home.

My grandmother was a fantastic piano player...I was fortunate to learn from her! We just donated her piano to a Home for Children along with a few Yamaha keyboards and other instruments.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 am

j mburuburu wrote:some bimarus get an anglo-indian from the railway colony of ranchi to teach them notes, chords and music. until then, they play the piano like the harmonium.

mulai wrote:=====> ROFL.

Yes. Piano is alien to the Indian culture. It is really out of place in Indian movies.

BTW the Anglo-Indian tenants we had in Tambaram did not own a piano either. I guess they could not afford one.
true, tambaram had a large number of anglo-indians too, in the railway colony in front of mcc's main entrance. so did kharagpur, near kolkata/calcutta, which boobsy kapasi refers to quaintly as "kol."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 am

Maria S wrote:Sara,

Quite a few Tamil Christians (upper middle class) had pianos/organs in their homes...

true that. had a christian family living right next to my grandfather's house in alwarpet. the old patriarch of the family used to play the piano and sing along religious songs. i loved listening to him, but it irritated my grandfather because he'd always start late in the evenings when everyone had finished their dinner and retired to bed (which they did very early in my family).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 am

Smile

Frankly, it would irritate to me too, if I was ready to relax after supper!

As a child, did not appreciate playing the piano or the family singing gatherings (must be shocking to know...was a high energy child)..sitting still and learning to play the piano, sewing, arts and crafts from my sweet and patient grandmother..was not my thing! Just tried to please my grandparents..

It was only later, on my own, I really found playing the piano..enjoyable and satisfying. Apart from the joy of playing..it has therapeutic value too..relieves stress, helps with memory recall etc.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:wrong! my post was relevent to your post that incorrectly said that we are talking about indians in this thread.
the "a" and "e" key are not adjacent on the keyboard; unless you wished to vent...you did. anand is an indian movie and that is how it was interpreted by mulaiazhagi and others. you are the only person who has interpreted it as a "bimaru [sic]" movie and thus you are an out standing boy. no point in arguing with out standing guys, eh?

btw, indians, and in particular, hindus, don't play the piano
just shove it up yours. wake up and smell the coffee. ever heard of the electronic piano or keyboard? every prosperous family in india has it. it is no big deal finding a teacher and teachers aren't anglo indians anymore. even in the 70s many upwardly mobile homes sported a piano (even if no one played it). it was a colonial legacy that expressed culture. it is not odd to find that replicated on the silver screen. you guys (you and mulaiazhagi) never had the chance to peep inside the rich and "cultured" homes.

some bimarus
for petes sake, bimaru is an acronym. it is used as an adjective to qualify the noun "states." there is no such thing as "some bimarus." stop butchering english!

finally, you can't redeem yourself by claiming to be an "indian" or feigning affinity to southern indians. it's like this: you are a northindian and a bimaru; i am a southern indian.
redeem? feigning affinity?

i give a rats ass for the south indians or the north indians in such or in real life. i am not active on any other forum for the record. i do as i please. i can express affinity for any community without feigning it. my white american friend in college once told me, "sal, you are a jew." he was himself not a jew. but i have thought about that comment often -- obviously for i still remember it. we were both frat boys from the same fraternity and had been drinking that night. his comment was meant to be that i could gel in any surrounding -- quite like survive like a jew. i don't attach much importance to north indian or south indian though i am not oblivious of it. but i am not obsessed with it like you are. i don't also attach much importance to white, black, asian, for that matter, but am not oblivious of that quality. i do study the differences in detail but only to recognize the similarities. to repeat, i go where my heart takes me. and my heart makes me want to eschew the company of bigots (unless it is to make fun of them -- which is why i seek your company sometimes) and to embrace the company of like minded people like me. i find many like minded people here. probably i will find a similar set elsewhere on the net too. but i want it to be indian, predominantly english, of a certain IQ and sense of humour and without moderation. i'm too lazy to search for it with these conditions. please let me die here -- i've lived my life.

after all, neither will you change, nor will i and neither will the world. we just have to find our own cocoon to spew bullshit in. carry on bullshitting. i am listening. all ears now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:11 pm

isi baat pe.......thaliyan!

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Flim flam has once again proved his lack of critical thinking skills.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by FlowerPower Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
wrong! my post was relevent to your post that incorrectly said that we are talking about indians in this thread.

btw, indians, and in particular, hindus, don't play the piano; they play with the keys of the piano, picking them with one finger of each hand, until the melody of a song they have in mind emerges. they don't know about notes or chords, and can't read written-down notes. some bimarus get an anglo-indian from the railway colony of ranchi to teach them notes, chords and music. until then, they play the piano like the harmonium.

बेटा मुलाई तू गधा है और गधा ही रहेगा. वैसे में यह बोल के गधों की तौहीन कर रहा हूँ

आपने शायद सुना नहीं होगा बन्दर क्या जाने अदरक का स्वाद

FlowerPower

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

somebody knows how to push your buttons.

Religion: hindus (check)

Race: Anglo-Indians (check)

Region: SI (check)

Caste: Saar, you forgot your caste duties.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 pm

FlowerPower wrote:
बेटा मुलाई तू गधा है...

surely you meant jeremiah mburuburu and not mulai(azhagi). am i wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
FlowerPower wrote:
बेटा मुलाई तू गधा है...

surely you meant jeremiah mburuburu and not mulai(azhagi). am i wrong?

यिर्मयाह एक बुड्डा कुत्ता है!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Hellsangel wrote:यिर्मयाह एक बुड्डा कुत्ता है!

LOL but objectionable.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm

FlowerPower wrote:

बेटा मुलाई तू गधा है और गधा ही रहेगा. वैसे में यह बोल के गधों की तौहीन कर रहा हूँ

फूल शक्ति जी -- आपको इतना स्वय घृणा किसीके कारण ?

मैं आपको यहीं सवाल पूछ चुका हूँ, जब आप फूल पहाड़ थे
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Il Professore, still on that Teutonic logic?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 pm

FlowerPower wrote:

scratch scratch

FP, neenga pushpagiri mama-vakkum nnu oru samshayam ellarukkum.

Back to top Go down

Post by FlowerPower Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:35 pm

blabberwock wrote:
FlowerPower wrote:

scratch scratch

oh ho very nice samshayamo appo neenga detectiveaa?

FlowerPower

Back to top Go down

Post by FlowerPower Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:39 pm

blabberwock wrote:
FlowerPower wrote:

scratch scratch

The correct word in Tamil for suspicion is சந்தேகம் and not சம்ஷயம் - the second one is a Malayalam word used predominantly by Palakkattan's so there....

FlowerPower

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:wrong! my post was relevent to your post that incorrectly said that we are talking about indians in this thread.
the "a" and "e" key are not adjacent on the keyboard; unless you wished to vent...you did. anand is an indian movie and that is how it was interpreted by mulaiazhagi and others. you are the only person who has interpreted it as a "bimaru [sic]" movie and thus you are an out standing boy. no point in arguing with out standing guys, eh?

btw, indians, and in particular, hindus, don't play the piano
just shove it up yours. wake up and smell the coffee. ever heard of the electronic piano or keyboard? every prosperous family in india has it. it is no big deal finding a teacher and teachers aren't anglo indians anymore. even in the 70s many upwardly mobile homes sported a piano (even if no one played it). it was a colonial legacy that expressed culture. it is not odd to find that replicated on the silver screen. you guys (you and mulaiazhagi) never had the chance to peep inside the rich and "cultured" homes.

some bimarus
for petes sake, bimaru is an acronym. it is used as an adjective to qualify the noun "states." there is no such thing as "some bimarus." stop butchering english!

redeem? feigning affinity?

i give a rats ass for the south indians or the north indians in such or in real life. i am not active on any other forum for the record. i do as i please. i can express affinity for any community without feigning it. my white american friend in college once told me, "sal, you are a jew." he was himself not a jew. but i have thought about that comment often -- obviously for i still remember it. we were both frat boys from the same fraternity and had been drinking that night. his comment was meant to be that i could gel in any surrounding -- quite like survive like a jew. i don't attach much importance to north indian or south indian though i am not oblivious of it. but i am not obsessed with it like you are. i don't also attach much importance to white, black, asian, for that matter, but am not oblivious of that quality. i do study the differences in detail but only to recognize the similarities. to repeat, i go where my heart takes me. and my heart makes me want to eschew the company of bigots (unless it is to make fun of them -- which is why i seek your company sometimes) and to embrace the company of like minded people like me. i find many like minded people here. probably i will find a similar set elsewhere on the net too. but i want it to be indian, predominantly english, of a certain IQ and sense of humour and without moderation. i'm too lazy to search for it with these conditions. please let me die here -- i've lived my life.

after all, neither will you change, nor will i and neither will the world. we just have to find our own cocoon to spew bullshit in. carry on bullshitting. i am listening. all ears now.
all Anand songs 459784477. Also, lol! @ relevent.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:59 pm

FlowerPower wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
FlowerPower wrote:

scratch scratch

The correct word in Tamil for suspicion is சந்தேகம் and not சம்ஷயம் - the second one is a Malayalam word used predominantly by Palakkattan's so there....

ayyee, pushpagiri mama palakkaadu maama aakkum, tya. neenga avar illai pola tonaradhu nekku. naan sherlock holmes-oda akka vaakkum, detective velai le - ormai vachukko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:29 am

FlowerPower wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
FlowerPower wrote:

scratch scratch

wacker blob's malayalam = fail! thamizh (thaamil na) = FAIL! "aakkum" = thamizh brahmin lingo, not exactly thamizh (thaamil).

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 am

[quote="FlowerPower:scratch: scratch

FP, neenga pushpagiri mama-vakkum nnu oru samshayam ellarukkum.[/quote]

The correct word in Tamil for suspicion is சந்தேகம் and not சம்ஷயம் - the second one is a Malayalam word used predominantly by Palakkattan's so there....[/quote]

A good Tamil word is Ayyam. Ayyam is used as early as the Third Tamil Academy about 2000 years ago. Santhekam may not be Tamil. I am not sure.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlowerPower Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:[quote="FlowerPower:scratch: scratch

The correct word in Tamil for suspicion is சந்தேகம் and not சம்ஷயம் - the second one is a Malayalam word used predominantly by Palakkattan's so there....[/quote]

A good Tamil word is Ayyam. Ayyam is used as early as the Third Tamil Academy about 2000 years ago. Santhekam may not be Tamil. I am not sure. [/quote]EBy this logic Tamil may not be Tamil at all. Languages evolve and words also metamorph into new ones.

FlowerPower

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down