Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i asked my wife...

5 posters

Go down

i asked my wife... Empty i asked my wife...

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:34 pm

...today, to indicate in percentage the resemblance of the language her mother speaks; a language she understands and half-speaks (magahi or magadhi) to hindi and bengali.

her observations (about the closeness in vocabulary):

to bengali: 50% or more; maybe 60% or 70%
to hindi: 40%

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

i asked my wife... Empty Re: i asked my wife...

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:41 pm

it's interesting. I woulda guessed 47, 52. makes all the difference in the world

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:...today, to indicate in percentage the resemblance of the language her mother speaks; a language she understands and half-speaks (magahi or magadhi) to hindi and bengali.

her observations (about the closeness in vocabulary):

to bengali: 50% or more; maybe 60% or 70%
to hindi: 40%

In Magahi, do they "eat" or "drink" water? For example, in Bengali and Oriya, they "eat" water (thry "drink" only alcoholic drinks).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:48 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:it's interesting. I woulda guessed 47, 52. makes all the difference in the world
actually, (you won't find it interesting), is that a rewriting of the "indo-european languages" family (as written by the western scholars) is underway. that "western scholarly" notion was adopted by our founding fathers but since then it has been proven that rajasthani and bihari laguages are NOT dialects of hindi. i am NOT denying that whatever happened was for "greater good." but we should know our history.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:52 pm

indophile wrote:In Magahi, do they "eat" or "drink" water? For example, in Bengali and Oriya, they "eat" water (thry "drink" only alcoholic drinks).
no.

bengali -- jOl khabe?
magahi -- paani peebey?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:52 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:it's interesting. I woulda guessed 47, 52. makes all the difference in the world
actually, (you won't find it interesting), is that a rewriting of the "indo-european languages" family (as written by the western scholars) is underway. that "western scholarly" notion was adopted by our founding fathers but since then it has been proven that rajasthani and bihari laguages are NOT dialects of hindi. i am NOT denying that whatever happened was for "greater good." but we should know our history.

Good morning, Huzefa. It is good (that it has been proven that rajasthani and bihari languages are NOT dialects of hindi). It is also true that we must know our history.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Good morning, Huzefa. It is good (that it has been proven that rajasthani and bihari languages are NOT dialects of hindi). It is also true that we must know our history.
Good Morning DUT Smile
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Good Morning DUT Smile

Good Morning Mr Angel. Have the lambs finally stopped screaming?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Good Morning DUT Smile

Good Morning Mr Angel. Have the lambs finally stopped screaming?

Yes. They killed them. But the dog may start barking any moment now.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:02 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:rajasthani and bihari laguages are NOT dialects of hindi. i am NOT denying that whatever happened was for "greater good." but we should know our history.
I remember a discussion on CH a long time ago. I was arguing that you can't count the languages of Bihar as Hindi dialects while not counting the languages of Bengal as Hindi dialects. Maithili for instance has more in common with Bengali than with Hindi.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
indophile wrote:In Magahi, do they "eat" or "drink" water? For example, in Bengali and Oriya, they "eat" water (thry "drink" only alcoholic drinks).
no.

bengali -- jOl khabe?
magahi -- paani peebey?

Not paani peeonge?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:06 pm

panini press wrote:Maithili for instance has more in common with Bengali than with Hindi.
yes. maithili now enjoys an independent language status now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:10 pm

indophile wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
no.

bengali -- jOl khabe?
magahi -- paani peebey?

Not paani peeonge?
paani "peeonge" would be hindi. notice how the bengali and magahi for the hindi "peeyonge" or "peeogey" is pholologically similar: peebey (in m magahi) and khabey (in bengali).

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 pm

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:rajasthani and bihari laguages are NOT dialects of hindi. i am NOT denying that whatever happened was for "greater good." but we should know our history.
I remember a discussion on CH a long time ago. I was arguing that you can't count the languages of Bihar as Hindi dialects while not counting the languages of Bengal as Hindi dialects. Maithili for instance has more in common with Bengali than with Hindi.

Maithili is recognized as a separate language but bhojpuri is pretty much a dialect of hindi.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: a rewriting of the "indo-european languages" family (as written by the western scholars) is underway.
i am not suggesting that the western scholars had any "malicious" intent but that their research was inadequate. rajasthani (family of languages) was considered a dialect of hindi by them and later recognized as a distinct language by them before independence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: a rewriting of the "indo-european languages" family (as written by the western scholars) is underway.
i am not suggesting that the western scholars had any "malicious" intent but that their research was inadequate. rajasthani (family of languages) was considered a dialect of hindi by them and later recognized as a distinct language by them before independence.

rajasthani is not a dialect of hindi. that's plain madness. somebody stop the madness!

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 am

lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down