Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are

2 posters

Go down

Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are Empty Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta-Nehisi_Coates

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/opinion/coates-school-as-wonder-or-way-ou-.html

I did not get over. I failed repeatedly, until somewhere around 11, somewhere about my son’s age, I internalized it all. Thus prophecy came to fulfill itself, until years later, as a college dropout, I would lie alone asking myself, “What is wrong with me?” I know better now, but once you’ve internalized your failures, the bitterness remains at the back of the mouth.

By some stroke of luck and by a greater stroke of privilege, my son enjoys a school that is the opposite of what I knew school to be. His teachers have seen him as something more than a potential statistic, as something besides another brown face in a demographic overrepresented in all the wrong columns. For him education has been not just the shield, but the sword.

This is progress, but when experienced by a parent, progress begs to be overthought. The fact is that, in my time and in this time, education really is an insurance policy. It really is often the line between civilian life and jail. My failures at school left me, as well as my brothers, who endured their own struggles, at times unclear as to which tribe I belonged to. I was saved by the relentless energy of my mother and father, and the greatest education I received was in seeing those who lacked that advantage ultimately not make it.

“There but for the grace of hard parents go I” was the lesson of my life. The lesson was unintentional and ironic. I acquired it in the midst of failure in the very environs that I now deem unfit. And so you must forgive my overthinking. I am watching my child grow in a new world of comparable bounty and privilege and I can’t help but wonder, and worry, at what unintentional lessons I am now imparting.

====> This guy was a total failure in his high school, dropped out of college.

Now he is the senior editor of the Atlantic magazine.

His name is on the Time magazine's list of 2011 best blogs

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2075431_2075447_2075599,00.html

A similar example is a talented writer named Mark Steyn. He did not go beyond 10th grade.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are Empty Re: Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:01 pm

based on ur recent crime reports, i am beginning to think that education has nothing to do with anything. I am losing my faith in it.

Back to top Go down

Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are Empty Re: Looks like education has no correlation to how good a writer you are

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:based on ur recent crime reports, i am beginning to think that education has nothing to do with anything. I am losing my faith in it.

Education has nothing to do with anything
Wealth has nothing to do with anything
profession has nothing to do with anything
faith has nothing to do with anything
gender has nothing to do with anything
race has nothing to with anything

These are all independent variables in the "life equation."

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down