Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

smoking conversation

2 posters

Go down

smoking conversation Empty smoking conversation

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 pm

So, we are talking about smoking. The older one was saying how she never will coz she hates it. And how she and her friends are being asked to smoke but they refuse. So, now the talks began with the younger one. Made him pinky swear and all. But daughter continued how it's easier for girls to say no. Boys get it harder. They are called names, they are called gay, sissy, wimps. Sometimes they are even pushed to the grounds and made to smoke.

So, to toughen him up, I go,

me: What if they ask you to smoke and that they will not be your friends if you don't?

him: I won't!

me: what if they don't call u to parties if u don't?

him: I won't!

me: what if they call u a faggot if u don't?

him: (pause) what's a faggot?

me: (pause) did I just teach him a bad word?

she: (laughing) yeah, you did. Try to get out of this one now (laughing).

Back to top Go down

smoking conversation Empty Re: smoking conversation

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Lol!

My kids had this excellent program in school, both elementary and middle, called DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education). It was really good. They taught the kids how to resist peer pressure, how not to do wrong stuff just to 'fit in', how to be assertive and say 'no' etc.

I too talked to them abt not doing drugs in very strong terms (I was way too paranoid abt drugs than abt smoking and alcohol).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:21 pm

This is the one i was talking abt. May be useful to you

http://www.dare.com/parents/Parents_Tips/Story2d13.asp?N=Parents_Tips&M=25&S=91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 pm

Yes kinns. All schools have DARE, afaik. And that's exactly what I was doing to my kids. i.e. having the talk as a family. All was going well until...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:Yes kinns. All schools have DARE, afaik. And that's exactly what I was doing to my kids. i.e. having the talk as a family. All was going well until...

Smile. Slip of the tongue. hota hai. Hope he didn't insist on knowing what it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 pm

how old is he? he doesn't know what being gay means yet? if he does, you can tell him it's a derogatory term for a gay person that is not acceptable anymore. i find it's far more preferable to be honest with them within the bounds of an age appropriate discussion.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:how old is he? he doesn't know what being gay means yet? if he does, you can tell him it's a derogatory term for a gay person that is not acceptable anymore. i find it's far more preferable to be honest with them within the bounds of an age appropriate discussion.

He is 7.5, and he knows what gay means. So ya, the daughter explained it to him the meaning of the offensive word. The school gets spooked out if they hear anyone using slang words. Then they call home and ask how did the child hear about it. So, just keeping fingers crossed *he* doesn't call anyone that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:how old is he? he doesn't know what being gay means yet? if he does, you can tell him it's a derogatory term for a gay person that is not acceptable anymore. i find it's far more preferable to be honest with them within the bounds of an age appropriate discussion.

Yeah... I bet he will go to school and ask others what a "faggot" is. Hope he does not ask some teachers....Razz...even worse - My mom said something about "faggot"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down