Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is truly a outrage. What do you people think?

2 posters

Go down

This is truly a outrage. What do you people think? Empty This is truly a outrage. What do you people think?

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:22 pm

India will not give visa to people attending the TESO Conference organized by Karunanidhi if the word "Eelam" is in the conference title. Is there anything about freedom of speech in Indian constitution?

This is truly a outrage. What do you people think? I_EAM_Reply

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

This is truly a outrage. What do you people think? Empty Re: This is truly a outrage. What do you people think?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:05 pm

it's a politically loaded term that has become associated with terrorism. kind of like the word jihad which really is a benign word, but has become corrupted because of the taliban and al qaeda. that's too bad, but you can blame it on pirabakaran and his murderous outfit. can you imagine the US government granting permission to members of the egyptian muslim brotherhood to visit the US? change it to sri lankan tamils and all will be fine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

This is truly a outrage. What do you people think? Empty Re: This is truly a outrage. What do you people think?

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 pm

No. I will use Eelam. Indian gov can arrest me during my next visit to my homeland Tamil Nadu.

Eelam refers to a geographical area. It is used as early as 2000 years ago. India cannot ban that name.

What next? Because of TNLA, the name Tamil Nadu should be banned.

>> US government granting permission to members of the egyptian muslim brotherhood to visit the US?

Can someone come to US for a Egypt Cultural Conference? (afterall the word Egypt is in "egyptian muslim brotherhood")

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 pm

By the way there is another thing basically wrong here. Hindians deciding who can enter Tamil Nadu! That should rest solely with the democratically elected government of Tamil Nadu.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 pm

i understand where you are coming from. there is nothing wrong individually with the words egypt, muslim, and brotherhood either, but put it together and it attains a terrible politically loaded connotation. same with eelam. it wasn't such a terrible word to begin with. i remember many tamil political organizations within sri lanka employing that term way back at the beginning of the struggle. but pirabakaran and his murderous thugs imbued the word with a highly flammable terrorism connotation. your anger should be directed at him, not the indian government.

on the other matter, the democratically elected government of the state of new york doesn't grant visas. the department of homeland security an arm of the federal govt does.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 pm

oh btw, i doubt you'll get very far with getting permission from your own govt (the US govt) to get visas for people belonging to a group that has the word eelam in it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm

>> put it together and it attains a terrible politically loaded connotation.

Read my first post above again. Indian gov bans the word Eelam. Not in combination with any other word.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 pm

>> i doubt you'll get very far with getting permission from your own govt (the US govt) get visas for people belonging to a group that has the word eelam in it.

What is the basis for your statement?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> put it together and it attains a terrible politically loaded connotation.

Read my first post above again. Indian gov bans the word Eelam. Not in combination with any other word.

you're missing the point. it's not the word itself, but the recent political and terroristic history associated with it that makes it flammable. if you want to make it acceptable again, you (by which i mean not just you, but others who have your political views) can take some concrete steps.

-- distance yourself publicly from the legacy of pirabakaran
-- distance yourself from the legacy of the LTTE and its sins
-- remind people that the word had a different role in the history of the tamil people long before pirabakaran came into picture

it's a tough road, but it's doable. good luck.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> i doubt you'll get very far with getting permission from your own govt (the US govt) get visas for people belonging to a group that has the word eelam in it.

What is the basis for your statement?

typing the word in the search field of the department of state and looking at what comes up.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:42 pm

>> typing the word in the search field of the department of state and looking at what comes up.

I did that. I don't see anything that supports your statement on the first 2 pages of the dozens of pages of search results. So your statement " i doubt you'll get very far with getting permission from your own govt (the US govt) get visas for people belonging to a group that has the word eelam in it" is unfounded.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down