Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings

+6
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
Idéfix
Hellsangel
Maria S
Impedimenta
10 posters

Go down

Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings Empty Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings

Post by Impedimenta Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Yes indeedio. In particular, if Palestinians had embarked on the "Gandhi strategy" of civil disobedience I think things possibly could be very different...

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/19/why-civil-resistance-trumps-violent-uprisings/

I have just always thought that if they had fought back, for example, sitting in the streets in front of Israeli tanks in protest and stopped the guerrilla warfare altogether, they may have been more successful. It is certainly a complicated issue. Some of the issues include the vast disagreements within the Palestinian citizens about the correct course of action and the lack of a charismatic leader who is capable of pushing for non-violent protests.

To my knowledge, a mass wide-scale, completely non-violent civil disobedience protest has not been attempted before the erection of the wall. the situation there is just tragic for so many people. simply tragic!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings Empty Re: Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:18 pm

That's what I used to think too..that Gandhiji kind/MLK kind of charismatic figure who can lead non-violent protests will work everywhere..I have changed my mind..it will work in some places and will never in some places.

With Israel it will not work, as long as they have the unconditional support of US.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings Empty Re: Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Maria S wrote:

With Israel it will not work, as long as they have the unconditional support of US.

Are you encouraging more violence in the Middle East?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Are you encouraging more violence in the Middle East?

How odd to take it that way. No, I don't encourage violence against the Palestinians by the Israelis or violence against the Israelis by any other country.

Only thing one can do hope for good diplomatic negotiations, and will pray a lot for the Palestinians..that they will have their own state..and somehow both nations can co-exist.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 pm

This movie "The Other Son"- think it will be released in Oct, is beginning to have some buzz in social media..seems like it's well made..can be appealing to both sides.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Maria S wrote:This movie "The Other Son"- to be released in Oct, is beginning to have some buzz in social media..seems like it's well made..can be appealing to both sides.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I think the non violent method can work with Israel but I can't picture the Palestinians coming around to that political viewpoint. You need a strong leader with a lot of moral authority to make that method appealing to enough people. And too much blood has already been spilled on both sides. If the nonviolent method worked against the apartheid regime I'm South Africa, it can work in Palestine too. I do feel the Palestinians made a huge strategic mistake in the 60s and 70s picking the path of terrorism. Like the Eelam Tamils did a couple of decades later, too.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm

panini press wrote:I think the non violent method can work with Israel but I can't picture the Palestinians coming around to that political viewpoint. You need a strong leader with a lot of moral authority to make that method appealing to enough people. And too much blood has already been spilled on both sides. If the nonviolent method worked against the apartheid regime I'm South Africa, it can work in Palestine too. I do feel the Palestinians made a huge strategic mistake in the 60s and 70s picking the path of terrorism. Like the Eelam Tamils did a couple of decades later, too.

You are bigger Optimist and a dreamer than I am:)

Seriously, hope you are right and I am wrong in this one..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Maria S wrote:
panini press wrote:I think the non violent method can work with Israel but I can't picture the Palestinians coming around to that political viewpoint. You need a strong leader with a lot of moral authority to make that method appealing to enough people. And too much blood has already been spilled on both sides. If the nonviolent method worked against the apartheid regime I'm South Africa, it can work in Palestine too. I do feel the Palestinians made a huge strategic mistake in the 60s and 70s picking the path of terrorism. Like the Eelam Tamils did a couple of decades later, too.

You are bigger Optimist and a dreamer than I am:)

Seriously, hope you are right and I am wrong in this one..

For once, I think Maria is being more realistic here. Unlike the Brits in India or the Afrikaaners in SA, the Israelis view this as a zero sum game. Ceding to the Palestinians, they fear, would only lead to further demands for concessions and eventually destroy their nation. In their beseiged state of mind, they are not going to cede anything to the Palestinians no matter what strategy is deployed against them.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:15 pm

[quote="Merlot Daruwala

For once, I think Maria is being more realistic here. Unlike the Brits in India or the Afrikaaners in SA, the Israelis view this as a zero sum game. Ceding to the Palestinians, they fear, would only lead to further demands for concessions and eventually destroy their nation. In their beseiged state of mind, they are not going to cede anything to the Palestinians no matter what strategy is deployed against them.[/quote]

For once? Well, there is first time for everything, or once in a lifetime for anything!

Thanks a lot:)

Anyone who is objective can see..I may not be brutal or seem hopeless..but, what I say is as real as it gets, have never denied/mislead anyone in real life or virtual life..when it comes to "harsh realities" of situations or life in general.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

I agree, when it comes to what is possible now, nonviolent resistance isn't just on the agenda in this conflict, and I don't see it becoming part of it. My speculation is more of a "what if" of history. I wonder how things might have turned out for the Palestinians if they had chosen the course of nonviolent resistance back in the day. My own feeling is that Israel and its lobby in the US would have found it a lot harder to ignore the plight of the Palestinians under the easy argument of "Israel's security is jeopardized the moment we give them anything." In that sense, I see the nonviolent approach as more of a lost opportunity than a realistic future opportunity for the Palestinians.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Simple Give the terrorists an inch and soon you will end up ceding them a mile.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Simple Give the terrorists an inch and soon you will end up ceding them a mile.
Yeah, that's what I meant by "easy argument."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 am

Sorry ...all of you who are blaming the Israelis here are wrong.....

The reason the Palestinians will never win is bcz of the other Arabs - Syria, Saudis, Iraq, and the iSalamis iran, Pakisatan, etc...- who think of Palestinains as an inferior Arab, expecting them to listen to the superior Arabs.

Israel has numerous times offered a 2-nation solution and the Arabs responded by waging a war in 1967 and 1973.

The day Palestinian independence becomes a reality (it will never happen), Israel will be mortally threatened. The Mahamad-supporting- Fashionados will love this to happen as it fits their "appease the aggressor" metality.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:45 am

Impedimenta wrote:Yes indeedio. In particular, if Palestinians had embarked on the "Gandhi strategy" of civil disobedience I think things possibly could be very different...

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/19/why-civil-resistance-trumps-violent-uprisings/

I have just always thought that if they had fought back, for example, sitting in the streets in front of Israeli tanks in protest and stopped the guerrilla warfare altogether, they may have been more successful. It is certainly a complicated issue. Some of the issues include the vast disagreements within the Palestinian citizens about the correct course of action and the lack of a charismatic leader who is capable of pushing for non-violent protests.

To my knowledge, a mass wide-scale, completely non-violent civil disobedience protest has not been attempted before the erection of the wall. the situation there is just tragic for so many people. simply tragic!

Gandhi strategy will work only against oppressors who follow a semblence of judicial system and at least a diluted sense of law - even if biased. Gandhi himself said this. This would not have worked against the Nazis, Ruskies, chinkus, Iraq and now in Syria or Iran.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 am

panini press wrote:I agree, when it comes to what is possible now, nonviolent resistance isn't just on the agenda in this conflict, and I don't see it becoming part of it. My speculation is more of a "what if" of history. I wonder how things might have turned out for the Palestinians if they had chosen the course of nonviolent resistance back in the day. My own feeling is that Israel and its lobby in the US would have found it a lot harder to ignore the plight of the Palestinians under the easy argument of "Israel's security is jeopardized the moment we give them anything." In that sense, I see the nonviolent approach as more of a lost opportunity than a realistic future opportunity for the Palestinians.

>>>>The thing that would have thrown a monkey wrench into it, even if the palestinians had wanted to go the non-violent route, is the other arabs who very much would have wanted the fight. The problem is that those guys won't leave well enough alone, even if a solution is worked out now. This is just going to be a perpetual problem.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:Yes indeedio. In particular, if Palestinians had embarked on the "Gandhi strategy" of civil disobedience I think things possibly could be very different...

Gandhi strategy will work only against oppressors who follow a semblence of judicial system and at least a diluted sense of law - even if biased. Gandhi himself said this. This would not have worked against the Nazis, Ruskies, chinkus, Iraq and now in Syria or Iran.

Yes woulda worked in Sri Lanka for sure...but your belligerentan brotherans chose the bellicosan way and went the way of the palestinianans

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Yes woulda worked in Sri Lanka for sure...but your belligerentan brotherans chose the bellicosan way and went the way of the palestinianans

It definitely would have worked in SL. The TULF was a political wing that was the main opposition party in the late 70s which followed non-violence. It would have been distantly possible that a Chech-Slovakian model or an Northern Ireland model could have been worked out.

But the Butcheran killed the TULF assassinating its leaders early on and killed the rest of the militant groups (some 15 of them) to become the master terrorist by late 80s. If you were to look at the list of militant groups LTTE was one of the smaller, more violent one among the 15 otehrs - EPRF, EPLOTE, EPRLF, Plote, and so on... (the list used to resemble like DK, DMK, MDMK, AIADMK, TMK, etc...in TN).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:21 pm

>> Why civil resistance trumps violent uprisings

What is your basis for saying civil resistance trumps violent uprising?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Who is vaiko? What is he doing in MP? It is getting difficult to keep track of these tn politicians? Whatever happened to vijaykumar? He was with jayalalitha in assembly and got ditched before or after elections?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Vaiko is a closet Tamil nationalist. He was protesting Hindians inviting SL president to open a Buddhist university in MP.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:25 pm

Does vaiko have any real following tn? There used to be a comedian / politico cho ramaswamy. He wrote good dramas rakhta kanniru and tugluq. Very popular.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down