Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lies from the pit of hell

5 posters

Go down

Lies from the pit of hell Empty Lies from the pit of hell

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:08 pm

It is tempting to consider the two political parties equally bad -- two sides of the same corroded coin. For every crazy religious extremist on the right, you might imagine that there is a crazy bra-burning pothead on the left. But it is at moments like this that it becomes clear that one of the parties has really gone off the rails and embraced craziness with gusto.

Paul Broun is a Republican Congressman from Georgia. The leadership of the House GOP saw it fit to give him an assignment on the House Committee on Science and Technology.

Here is Rep. Broun talking about science:

Now, there are plenty of bad representatives in Congress on both sides of the aisle. But it takes a certain level of contempt for science on the part of the GOP leadership to nominate a person like this to the Committee on Science.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Lies from the pit of hell Empty Re: Lies from the pit of hell

Post by Maria S Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am

quote="panini press"]

Now, there are plenty of bad representatives in Congress on both sides of the aisle. But it takes a certain level of contempt for science on the part of the GOP leadership to nominate a person like this to the Committee on Science.
[/quote]

Yes, there are.

Yes, it does.

On a different note..obviously, we don't know each other Carvaka. But, for some reason you really remind me of Chris Hayes (minus the racial background:) He is not too flashy/charismatic and a little too wonky and methodical for me..but, I do agree with a lot of his views, and there is an innate sensitivity..and his politeness is endearing..hope you respond to this post with a Yay, Nay or something polite, in "your own" way:)

It's kind of odd to come over here and talk to myself- when I come over these days. I could certainly do without the negative stuff, esp. in a small forum (in that case, silence is a good thing always:), imo).

Not sure, what's going on:) But, do feel more like an outsider here..more than ever before!

[
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 am

Maria S wrote:
panini press wrote:

Yes, there are.

Yes, it does.

On a different note..obviously, we don't know each other Carvaka. But, for some reason you really remind me of Chris Hayes (minus the racial background:) He is not too flashy/charismatic and a little too wonky and methodical for me..but, I do agree with a lot of his views, and there is an innate sensitivity..and his politeness is endearing..hope you respond to this post with a Yay, Nay or something polite, in "your own" way:)

It's kind of odd to come over here and talk to myself- when I come over these days. I could certainly do without the negative stuff, esp. in a small forum (in that case, silence is a good thing always:), imo).

Not sure, what's going on:) But, do feel more like an outsider here..more than ever before!

[
Interesting... haven't seen him before. Will watch his videos and let you know what I think.

We are all outsiders here. It's just that we take turns picking on one another. Today seems to be Impy's turn...
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:53 am

panini press wrote:It is tempting to consider the two political parties equally bad -- two sides of the same corroded coin. For every crazy religious extremist on the right, you might imagine that there is a crazy bra-burning pothead on the left. But it is at moments like this that it becomes clear that one of the parties has really gone off the rails and embraced craziness with gusto.

Paul Broun is a Republican Congressman from Georgia. The leadership of the House GOP saw it fit to give him an assignment on the House Committee on Science and Technology.

Here is Rep. Broun talking about science:

yeah that's a nice little diversion. the knock on lefties is not the bra burning behavior...that's straight from the 70s. the knock on them is they're do-nothing-sloganeers. right wingers are going off the rails with crazy theories and left wingers are idealistic potheads that would like nothing more than spending hard working ppl's money on pet ivory tower causes without a clue of how the real world works.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:59 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:the knock on lefties is not the bra burning behavior...that's straight from the 70s.
This is what I was talking about... https://such.forumotion.com/t8194-ahem-respected-obamarans#61890

Propagandhi711 wrote:the knock on them is they're do-nothing-sloganeers. right wingers are going off the rails with crazy theories and left wingers are idealistic potheads that would like nothing more than spending hard working ppl's money on pet ivory tower causes without a clue of how the real world works.
Yeah, that's why the conservative magazine Economist had this chart up yesterday.

Lies from the pit of hell Captur10
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/10/live-chart
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

We are all outsiders here.

That sounds like Romneyish to me:D:)

Seriously, I like being outsider..wish "old friends" (the reason, I come over here) would respond with a word or two..otherwise it's kind of boring..don't see any point coming over, that's all.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Maria S wrote:We are all outsiders here.

Haha. Now that Mittster is pulling ahead in the polls, I am preparing myself for a Romney presidency. The other day I was watching a GOP talking head from the Romney campaign's foreign policy team on TV. He was a former ambassador to some place. And he kept saying "nucular." It sounded like he had deliberately learned how to say "nucular" instead of "nuclear."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm

panini press wrote:
Maria S wrote:We are all outsiders here.

Haha. Now that Mittster is pulling ahead in the polls, I am preparing myself for a Romney presidency. The other day I was watching a GOP talking head from the Romney campaign's foreign policy team on TV. He was a former ambassador to some place. And he kept saying "nucular." It sounded like he had deliberately learned how to say "nucular" instead of "nuclear."

Thanks for trying too:D Carvaka!

Like most of the President's supporters, feel a little down..but, it's not over, until it's over! The turnout at the polls matters- will have to work harder.

Done with my on-line time for now.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 pm

panini press wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:the knock on lefties is not the bra burning behavior...that's straight from the 70s.
This is what I was talking about... https://such.forumotion.com/t8194-ahem-respected-obamarans#61890

Propagandhi711 wrote:the knock on them is they're do-nothing-sloganeers. right wingers are going off the rails with crazy theories and left wingers are idealistic potheads that would like nothing more than spending hard working ppl's money on pet ivory tower causes without a clue of how the real world works.
Yeah, that's why the conservative magazine Economist had this chart up yesterday.

scour the internets long enough and anyone can find a chart supporting whatever position they take in life. key is spending enough time on the internets looking for data points and theories to confirm one's own biases

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
panini press wrote:

scour the internets long enough and anyone can find a chart supporting whatever position they take in life. key is spending enough time on the internets looking for data points and theories to confirm one's own biases
Another fine option is to ignore evidence that contradicts your beliefs, blaming it on the internets.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 am

panini press wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
panini press wrote:

Another fine option is to ignore evidence that contradicts your beliefs, blaming it on the internets.

now presidents are taking credit for stock market performance - when it comes to such 'evidence', ignoring is the best one can do. unless one is grasping at desperate straws in an effort to put lipstick on the pig known as abject underperformance of the hope and change meister.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:48 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:now presidents are taking credit for stock market performance - when it comes to such 'evidence', ignoring is the best one can do. unless one is grasping at desperate straws in an effort to put lipstick on the pig known as abject underperformance of the hope and change meister.
If presidents don't have much of an effect on the economy and the stock market, then by what measure did Obama underperform? Unless one wants to blame him whenever possible, and deny him credit for anything that goes well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 am

panini press wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:now presidents are taking credit for stock market performance - when it comes to such 'evidence', ignoring is the best one can do. unless one is grasping at desperate straws in an effort to put lipstick on the pig known as abject underperformance of the hope and change meister.
If presidents don't have much of an effect on the economy and the stock market, then by what measure did Obama underperform? Unless one wants to blame him whenever possible, and deny him credit for anything that goes well.

noticed you slipped in 'economy' next to stock market performance. you arent wilfully ignoring the fact that that chart is skewed due to events that have little to nothing to do with who was the president at the time are you? namely the internet/telecom revolution and subsequent hype, recovery from 2008 meltdown, both stock market epic crash under repub president post clinton years and pre-obama financial meltdown. obama failed by his own measures: hope and change. none to minimal change in financial regulation. melted hope of energy independence with alternate energy sources - with most of the solar suppliers going bankrupt, he stopped talking abt them being a major job creator for the future. he's now left to running on his national security record like some common red state war mongering repub president. ivory tower pacifists are turning silently in their grave...they just want this election to be over with so they can make that first revolution.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:none to minimal change in financial regulation.
The choice we have now is between the little regulation Obama put in place, and repealing it altogether and letting Wall Street run without even that. That's what Romney supports. If you prefer Wall Street regulation, you can hardly argue with Obama in this election.

Propagandhi711 wrote:melted hope of energy independence with alternate energy sources - with most of the solar suppliers going bankrupt, he stopped talking abt them being a major job creator for the future.
Obama always talked about an "all of the above" approach to energy. And we are getting to energy independence, thanks to cheap natural gas from shale.

Propagandhi711 wrote:he's now left to running on his national security record like some common red state war mongering repub president.
Another area where he actually accomplished something -- running quite contrary to your original line about liberals being do-nothing sloganeers. He got OBL, ended the war in Iraq, and is winding down the war in Afghanistan.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 pm

panini press wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:none to minimal change in financial regulation.
The choice we have now is between the little regulation Obama put in place, and repealing it altogether and letting Wall Street run without even that. That's what Romney supports. If you prefer Wall Street regulation, you can hardly argue with Obama in this election.

Propagandhi711 wrote:melted hope of energy independence with alternate energy sources - with most of the solar suppliers going bankrupt, he stopped talking abt them being a major job creator for the future.
Obama always talked about an "all of the above" approach to energy. And we are getting to energy independence, thanks to cheap natural gas from shale.

Propagandhi711 wrote:he's now left to running on his national security record like some common red state war mongering repub president.
Another area where he actually accomplished something -- running quite contrary to your original line about liberals being do-nothing sloganeers. He got OBL, ended the war in Iraq, and is winding down the war in Afghanistan.

I guess the latest mantra is vote for the second worst. obama did shit wrt financial regulations besides making some speeches abt class warfare..the fact that he got the same douchebags (geithner & summers) that helped repeal glass-steagall to run the economy for him shows how committed he was to "change". he's the one president that had the biggest blank cheque and perfect environment to pass reforms like they did in the 30s and just let that opportunity flitter away. that goes to show you he's all high talk and no action.

the last comment about national security was tongue in cheek since you bicoastal ivory towerers are always deriding repub presidents from red states for being overly militaristic. and lastly, heh@winding down the war in afghanistan...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:obama did shit wrt financial regulations
I thought making the perfect the enemy of the good was supposed to be the specialty of do-nothing liberal sloganeers. Why are you doing that now?

Propagandhi711 wrote:the last comment about national security was tongue in cheek since you bicoastal ivory towerers are always deriding repub presidents from red states for being overly militaristic.
Yeah, if a liberal president does something, your angst about him is just tongue-in-cheek. If he doesn't do all that liberal ideologues would have liked, then he is a do-nothing-liberal!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 pm

panini press wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:obama did shit wrt financial regulations
I thought making the perfect the enemy of the good was supposed to be the specialty of do-nothing liberal sloganeers. Why are you doing that now?

that's actually an excellent tactic that people on the liberal side of the political divide can learn from. just like propagandhi attacked obama from the left, it's good once in a while to attack the republicans from the right. for example showing up paul ryan for the fake deficit hawk that he is at every available opportunity. paul ryan is the biggest deficit bloater currently serving in congress and he is potentially about to become the veep. *alarm bells*
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
panini press wrote:

noticed you slipped in 'economy' next to stock market performance. you arent wilfully ignoring the fact that that chart is skewed due to events that have little to nothing to do with who was the president at the time are you? namely the internet/telecom revolution and subsequent hype, recovery from 2008 meltdown, both stock market epic crash under repub president post clinton years and pre-obama financial meltdown. obama failed by his own measures: hope and change. none to minimal change in financial regulation. melted hope of energy independence with alternate energy sources - with most of the solar suppliers going bankrupt, he stopped talking abt them being a major job creator for the future. he's now left to running on his national security record like some common red state war mongering repub president. ivory tower pacifists are turning silently in their grave...they just want this election to be over with so they can make that first revolution.

Zzinnnngggg!Lies from the pit of hell 459784477
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Maria S wrote:But, for some reason you really remind me of Chris Hayes (minus the racial background:) He is not too flashy/charismatic and a little too wonky and methodical for me..but, I do agree with a lot of his views, and there is an innate sensitivity..and his politeness is endearing..hope you respond to this post with a Yay, Nay or something polite, in "your own" way:)

Maria, I just watched the video. This guy is awesome. I am glad I remind you of him Smile.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:21 pm

"panini press">Maria, I just watched the video. This guy is awesome. I am glad I remind you of him Smile.

I am glad you are glad..and you really do remind me of him..like Joe, I may not always be perfectly articulate..but, always "mean what I say"Smile

In a multitude of younger political observers and commentators..Chris really stands out (I generally like theatrical performances!) but, will make an exception for "no-drama" Chris..and no-drama Carvaka:)

In case, you are curious- when it comes to younger women political commentators..I like Alex Wagner and Tamron Hall (liberals) and Amy Holmes and Laura Ingraham(conservatives).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down