Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankenstorm

+6
Kris
Sandee2020
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
truthbetold
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Frankenstorm Empty Frankenstorm

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 am

That is the name for hurricane sandy that might hit us around Halloween. Daughter gets on my case to cut the tall tree on our driveway every time any storm gets going this way. Does everyone share this kinda fear? Or am I too relaxed?

Back to top Go down

Frankenstorm Empty Re: Frankenstorm

Post by truthbetold Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:26 pm

This storm is similar to last year 's storm where ct got hit badley. The problem was trees on power lines. Take preventive action .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Frankenstorm 400254_10151137101383040_1244957591_n

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:36 pm

I got deadlines next week. A serious power disruption is a totally unecpected risk event in o tober. How can one plan for such situations?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:31 am

New jersy seems to be the bull eye for the storm. But waves are expected to top 10 feet in few places. Southern ct is preparing by evacuating the coastal areas.
The problem is the likely length of rain and winds from this storm. States in midwest are also concerned about this storm.
Frakenstorm or just another over hyped whether event? We have to wait till wednesday to decide that.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:41 am

it's been pretty windy and dark here since the morning. have a feeling it's gonna be big. the schools called us and said they are closed on monday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Scary. Hope all of you on the East Coast make it through without any mishap.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:That is the name for hurricane sandy that might hit us around Halloween. Daughter gets on my case to cut the tall tree on our driveway every time any storm gets going this way. Does everyone share this kinda fear? Or am I too relaxed?

Oh come on..... this sort of stuff comes along every year... people have short memory. Get 2 5gal water bottle; non-perishable foods - like trail mix, granola bars, and foods that dont need refrigeration, microwaving, stove or cooking. to last 1 week (max). fill u r car with gas 2 days before the storm, air up the tires...and oh....dont drive in flood waters....Razz

have quite a few inner clothing, chappals. you cannot walk outside in water with shows.how old are the trees, and see if something can fall on the roof, Garage, etc....(what will you do if some tree limb comes crashing on to the house due to wind - see not much you can do).

Make sure your sump pump is in working condition (change if it is > 5 yrs). Get some alternative method. I once saw a "hand pump" that uses battery (limited use), have a rope and a small bucket to drain it.close all the windows, etc...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 pm

my roof is old. i am chancing it this year to get through the winter and get one more year from it. last time there was storm damage to people's roofs here, many got it replaced and FEMA paid for it. let's see what happens.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:my roof is old. i am chancing it this year to get through the winter and get one more year from it. last time there was storm damage to people's roofs here, many got it replaced and FEMA paid for it. let's see what happens.

But you had snow last time - isn't it ? If it is just rains, it may not be much. Also, by the time it comes to your area it might be much weaker. If it crossed the land, it would be a severe rainstorm. If not it will have swung out far into the sea.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Frankenstorm Empty Trees in CT

Post by Sandee2020 Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:44 pm

truthbetold wrote:This storm is similar to last year 's storm where ct got hit badley. The problem was trees on power lines. Take preventive action .
Residents don't want their trees cut down, yet they complain to the power company for not restoring power soon enough; when their trees cause power lines to come down. Hope Sandy will not come with a fury. Sad

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:32 pm

As one of my gurus say hope is not a strategy. To their credit ct cut down trees near the edges of highways. Many trees near power lines were also trimmed down. Wide spread power loss is predicted but if it does not happen we will be too busy to complain.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:57 pm

truthbetold wrote:As one of my gurus say hope is not a strategy. To their credit ct cut down trees near the edges of highways. Many trees near power lines were also trimmed down. Wide spread power loss is predicted but if it does not happen we will be too busy to complain.

A lot of women will be jealous of you bcz you east coast parking loters will be enjoying candle light dinners several days next week.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:05 pm

I got some candles. Grocery stores are busybutusable. Gas stations are busy but again usable. Best buy was not so busy , so I was able to find some one to get answer. Dark clouds, building winds, and falling leaf. No rain yet. I am waiting to see how this storm unfolds.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Schools, lot of business closed. Places that did not close for weather related event closed. Unless sandy wakes me up i will get a rare weekday sleep in after 5 am. Stay safe.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:That is the name for hurricane sandy that might hit us around Halloween. Daughter gets on my case to cut the tall tree on our driveway every time any storm gets going this way. Does everyone share this kinda fear? Or am I too relaxed?

>>>Was at a function this afternoon. My cousin's son who lives back east said he will postpone his flight back due to the storm. Sounds nasty- everyone stay safe.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:56 pm

it's been named superstorm now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Was at a function this afternoon. My cousin's son who lives back east said he will postpone his flight back due to the storm. Sounds nasty- everyone stay safe.

yes...rite.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm

LOL @ Jeff's tweet

i hope all of you in the storm zone are safe n sound and i'll take this moment to remember kripamaya. she was always struggling with bad weather.

www.webpronews.com/frankenstorm-quotation-marks-and-celebrity-tweets-2012-10/

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:

yes...rite.

even here you gotta one-up everybody? looks like you're an amateur weather guy and doomsday prepper in addition to specializing in women's plumbing.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:18 am

I hope everyone here is taking all the necessary precautions. Good luck for riding out the storm.

I have some team members from the northeast, and it looks like they are grounded at least for a couple of days.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 pm

uh oh... BIG windy sounds and light just fluctuated...

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:33 pm

It is getting windy on ct with drizzle. But it also gave me a opportunity to catch up on few things .
NATs
How far are you from ocean?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Oh I am not that close. 15-20 miles from the closest bay, and approx 30 miles from the ocean front. Luckily not close to any river. But am in a flat area, so our basement will flood mostly if the power goes out, otherwise should be ok. Bigger concern is being cut off from other places as there are many low lying areas all around, and many small rivers and bridges within 10 mile radius.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:10 pm

i know storms are bad and people can die too but this is all very exciting from where i see.

i hope everyone on sandy's way is enjoying and ofcoz safe and having good indoor time. watching their fav movies on tv with family n friends and hot cocoa Wink

oh so wonderful !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:uh oh... BIG windy sounds and light just fluctuated...
hahaha @"fluctuated"; try "flickered."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:31 pm

truthbetold wrote:It is getting windy on ct with drizzle. But it also gave me a opportunity to catch up on few things .
NATs How far are you from ocean?
"in CT," but "on long island"; "a drizzle," "an opportunity," "a few things," and "the ocean." ja? 100 times.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 pm

the tree that's in the middle of the backyard just fell. fell just a little short of the deck. will see in the morning how it looks.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Nats
Thats close. Glad no harm done.
7.5 ft waves near coastal ct. Expect to reach higher by midnight.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Phew, a big relief! The worst of the howling high wind has ceased. Lots of branches from my neighbors' trees fell in my yard. have plenty of raking and cleaning. Did not lose power fortunately. Thanks to the Lord for hearing my prayers.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Sandee2020 wrote:Phew, a big relief! The worst of the howling high wind has ceased. Lots of branches from my neighbors' trees fell in my yard. have plenty of raking and cleaning. Did not lose power fortunately. Thanks to the Lord for hearing my prayers.
That's good to hear. Looks like the storm has made landfall and many people have lost power. I hope none of our members have lost power and everybody is OK.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
truthbetold wrote:It is getting windy on ct with drizzle. But it also gave me a opportunity to catch up on few things .
NATs How far are you from ocean?
"in CT," but "on long island"; ja? 100 times.

Why the difference?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 am

It looks like there are more than a dozen deaths due to falling trees and power lines. New York City looks eerie in television footage when lower Manhattan has gone dark. Everybody in the path of this storm, don't be tempted to go out -- stay safe.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 am

Sandee2020 wrote:Phew, a big relief! The worst of the howling high wind has ceased. Lots of branches from my neighbors' trees fell in my yard. have plenty of raking and cleaning. Did not lose power fortunately. Thanks to the Lord for hearing my prayers.

would that be the terrorists's god, or the pedophiles's one?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

scratch Who is Sandee2020? I thought it might be Sara Boji. I do miss him.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 am

sarboj paparajan's most likely incarcerated due to snooping activities on neighbor's sexual activities

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 am

Terrorist's god? pedophiles god? Who cares? My prayers got answered and that's all that matters. No power yet, what a blessing the generator! I can watch all my soaps from India soon.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

100 times:

the terrorists' god or the pedophiles' god

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Sandee2020 wrote:Terrorist's god? pedophiles god? Who cares? My prayers got answered and that's all that matters. No power yet, what a blessing the generator! I can watch all my soaps from India soon.

that's what matters...watching soaps from india

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:53 pm

India has become quite sophisticated now. Vacuum cleaners, westernized style kitchen and bathrooms, girls riding scooters to college and work,super markets, amusement parks. Wow!

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:04 pm

girls riding scooters to college and work...wait, which decade have you left india in again?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 pm

When I left India, we had no TV, or 'phone in the house. We took buses or trains to go to work. Now even beggars have mobile 'phones. Population was 500 million at that time. Yes,I am an old goat. LOL cheers

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:41 am

It's been 1 1/2 days since we heard from nats. Must be having a power outage. The night time temps are in the 30s. Hope she and her family are keeping warm and cozy. She did talk abt stacking on food, water and candles. So shld be fine there, i guess. Hope e'thing comes back to normal soon. Thoughts go out to e'one hit by Sandy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 am

kinnera wrote:It's been 1 1/2 days since we heard from nats. Must be having a power outage. The night time temps are in the 30s. Hope she and her family are keeping warm and cozy. She did talk abt stacking on food, water and candles. So shld be fine there, i guess. Hope e'thing comes back to normal soon. Thoughts go out to e'one hit by Sandy.
I hope Nats and her family are doing well and they get their power back soon.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 am

Hey all. Am fine. Am at work today. Power is still off at home. But have gas and hot water. K put on the fireplace for sometime last night from whatever wood chips he could find, so that was some comfort.

3-4 humongous trees fell down, but didn't break or hurt anything. We actually saw the big one fall, coz when the powers went out, we all had nothing to do but to stand at the deck door and be awed by the power of Sandy.

The ornamental tree in the front fell down, uprooted. That is the saddest news so far. Both the cars stood unhurt, and now it seems totally stupid to have left them out.

There are a couple of trees still dangling or held together by other trees. They may break the fence or neighbor's shed if they eventually fall. So am trying to get people to remove them asap.

Anyone heard from bittu?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 am

Tracy, nice to know that you and your loved ones are okay.

I heard from Impedimenta that she is okay..am sure she will post when she can.

Am off..had way too much time this morning:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:07 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:Hey all. Am fine. Am at work today. Power is still off at home. But have gas and hot water. K put on the fireplace for sometime last night from whatever wood chips he could find, so that was some comfort.

3-4 humongous trees fell down, but didn't break or hurt anything. We actually saw the big one fall, coz when the powers went out, we all had nothing to do but to stand at the deck door and be awed by the power of Sandy.

The ornamental tree in the front fell down, uprooted. That is the saddest news so far. Both the cars stood unhurt, and now it seems totally stupid to have left them out.

There are a couple of trees still dangling or held together by other trees. They may break the fence or neighbor's shed if they eventually fall. So am trying to get people to remove them asap.

Anyone heard from bittu?

Phew! nice to be hearing from you, nats. Was looking the pix in cnn. pretty disturbing! Glad you guys are doing ok. Smile

bittu logged into chat y'day from his phone. He and his kids seem to be doing fine. It's just that his sonny was a lil pissed off that he didn't get the generator like their neighbors. bittu also seemed a lil pissed off at sandy and i pissed him off more, as usual, and he left in a huff Razz.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:07 am

Good to hear that you are ok, Nats! Hope they restore your power soon.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am

Maria S wrote:Tracy, nice to know that you and your loved ones are okay.

I heard from Impedimenta that she is okay..am sure she will post when she can.

ya. Hope tbt is doing fine too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

glad to know about impy.

Yeah the older one had began being pissed from sunday itself about the generator. But she's coping much better than I expected. She d/l some movies on her iPad before the power out, and papa n kids huddle together and watch those. And she loves the times we sit in my car to charge the phone.

Yep, the neighbor behind us has a generator, and now we can peek easier into their house since the trees are gone, watch their tv playing and smolder somewhat. But, the neighbor was outside with his flashlight maybe tryin to hook up the generator when our tree fell. Glad the tree went down this side, or we would be forever meeting the glares of 4 dadless kids.

I made K drop me to work today. Had no mood of venturing out on a donut and one headlight gone. The area here is pretty well lit. So when they come to pick me up, will eat here somewhere.

Also, now I know why villagers back then would get up at 4:30 am to do work. Coz they would frikking sleep after sunset! Nothing to do. We all went up in our bedrooms at 8:30 last night!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next