Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you like most about Diwali

3 posters

Go down

What do you like most about Diwali Empty What do you like most about Diwali

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Happy Diwali everyone :-)

I like everything about it. How it brings people together and mithais, rangoli, lights, decorating the house and ofcoz the firecrackers!!! oh the smell of crackers...love it..always have...always will :heart

I love the way diwali is in the air and I can actually smell it (i really can n holi too). When we were little, on diwali when the house used to be cleaned and painted etc, we used to play House in the lawn,,,bcz ALL the stuff, sofa, bed, razai everything used to be out!! oh what fun.

my mom used to make such bful designs and we added glitter on it...missing home a lot today

How are you celebrating today and what do you like most about diwali...

Back to top Go down

What do you like most about Diwali Empty Re: What do you like most about Diwali

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

The best thing about Deepavali for me was the fireworks. Now that we are not in India, we make do with lighting up our home with lots of candles.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:47 pm

When I was growing up in India, we didn't have much money. Dad got sparklers, the cheap kinds that sometimes light up and sometimes don't. The times they light up, they fizzle out in 4 seconds. I'd look around other homes and see kids light up a ton of firecrackers and I'd get pissed off and complain about noise+air pollution.

In my frustration I'd go off and try to feel up the neighborhood girls' bums. Even if they protested, their voices couldn't be heard over the loud din of firecrackers.

That said, I hope these images bring nostalgia, merriment and joy for you: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/10/diwali_2009.html

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 pm

my tauji was hell bent against patakhe. he was like is to acha hai note jalao ( rather burn actual money)

but we did it anyway Wink

I always liked patakhe that light up and not so much the ones that make noise. And the pollution level does go up but lets just say it does more good than bad. so no complaints.

maybe our grandkids will see a day when the city puts up a firecracker show and people gather to see them, on diwali 8->

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 pm

thank you bittu for the photos! i was scared to click on your link hehe

i remember my first diwali here and i bought diyas but didnt know i was supposed to soak them in water over night and dry them in sun the next day so the ones that will break will break and the good ones will not soak more oil.

so i made aate ke diye..chote chote and used ghee instead to light them..it was a good diwali...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Lol. Had some real desperate cousins who would double over and giggle whenever using 'our' with a girl in a sentence. Eg when showing a new house to any girl in a house warming party, ' and this our bedroom... And this is where we will eat, and this is where our kids' will play' .... You get the idea.

Your saying, 'our grand kids' reminded me of some such cousin of mine. He is a successful doctor now, but oh man. Was in the bhaiya/nerd group in college always. This was the closest he could get to any girl back then and even now I think.

Last edited by Natalia Romanova on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm

LOL very funny

but you know what i mean Very Happy

happy diwali tracy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Happy diwali to you too. I used to enjoy every thing about Diwali. Rangoli, new clothes, lights, firecrackers but didn't care much for super-loud ones. The one part, surprisingly now, is that I didn't care for sweets. Have gone entire season without eating sweets from the market. Home made shakkar or namkeen pare or gujiya, yes. Other sweets, major no no. Look at me now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 pm

here when you do groceries in indian stores, they send you back with haldiram's mithai (sonpapdi or gulabjaums etc)..i got both and i made besan ke laddoo...will get some for everyone in office tomorrow

my fav diwali sweet was is always will be gujiya..yumm

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:06 am

I love diyas ...lots of diyas..

I hate crackers...bombs..so annoying..i hate some uncles who just go beserk sending rockets horizontaly without placing it properly cyclops...i hate those mothers who bring new borns to the cracker bursting zone...irresponsible!! My ideal diwali - light up diya ....switch off lights...burst sparklers and flower pots( if u have a open balcony)...invite good friends...send them back quickly then watch a tamil movie followed by veg dinner and sleep -Super diwali ma!!...
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

Rekz wrote:I love diyas ...lots of diyas.. My ideal diwali - light up diya ....switch off lights...burst sparklers and flower pots( if u have a open balcony)...invite good friends...send them back quickly then watch a tamil movie followed by veg dinner and sleep -Super diwali ma!!...
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down