Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse?

+6
Jeremiah Mburuburu
southindian
Propagandhi711
Kumarg
Merlot Daruwala
nevada
10 posters

Go down

What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse?

What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_lcap8%What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_lcap33%What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 4 ]
What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_lcap25%What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_lcap8%What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_lcap0%What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_lcap25%What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 12

What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Empty What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse?

Post by nevada Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 pm

>90%

75-90%

50-75%

25-50%

10-25%

<10%

nevada

Back to top Go down

What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Empty Re: What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse?

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

C'mon. Burns?? Beatings with leather belt?? I don't think it's as common as your question insinuates. We may be third world, but we're not THAT bad.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse? Empty Re: What percentage of Indian parents would be in prison if India had Norway's rules about child abuse?

Post by Kumarg Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 am

Well you can say many Indians would be in prison if you are polling how men in rural India treat women, but I don't think parents in India treat their children like that.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:C'mon. Burns?? Beatings with leather belt?? I don't think it's as common as your question insinuates. We may be third world, but we're not THAT bad.

It definitely is not common now, but it was common back in the day. My mom used to beat me and my brother with a leather belt and sticks (cane). My teachers used to hit on the knuckles and palms with a wooden ruler. My mom used to threaten to burn us with a hot spatula (atlakaada to vaatalu pedataanu), but never did. My neighborhood aunty actually did it to her daughter (she regretted it later and cried). But it's not the physical abuse that damages the child. It's the words and how the parent makes the child feel that do long term emotional damage. Got to watch what we say to children!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 am

Have been eye witness to major physical abuse. We lived in a campus where class 3 or 4 service people lived behind our house. Some women from those place worked for us. I would play with their kids. Have seen them up close. Not saying all parents abused their kids among them, but I have seen some gruesome ones. In one instance, this dad tied up his son upside down from the ceiling. And then he burned chillies under him. The guy had no choice but to inhale all that. And I was there watching with his sisters. If the mom or sisters tried to help him they would get beaten up too.

There was this other guy too. Think he was a clerk. My god. Major abuse to his wife and daughter. Even I would be terrorized seeing him. Have had a thing against that kinda skinny men ever since then. I used to go talk to his wife often. Sometimes spend whole afternoon to with her, playing with her little toddler. And even though I was just a kid, she would talk to me a lot. Despite the abuse, her loyalty to him was fierce. Never understood all that.

I now think my childhood was very bizarre. Very happy but very bizarre. I have witnessed most bizarre things. I have compared my experience with many and no one I know had anything similar. Not even my own sibs as they were much older. I sometimes relate to the little girl from the movie earth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:Have been eye witness to major physical abuse. We lived in a campus where class 3 or 4 service people lived behind our house. Some women from those place worked for us. I would play with their kids. Have seen them up close. Not saying all parents abused their kids among them, but I have seen some gruesome ones. In one instance, this dad tied up his son upside down from the ceiling. And then he burned chillies under him. The guy had no choice but to inhale all that. And I was there watching with his sisters. If the mom or sisters tried to help him they would get beaten up too.

There was this other guy too. Think he was a clerk. My god. Major abuse to his wife and daughter. Even I would be terrorized seeing him. Have had a thing against that kinda skinny men ever since then. I used to go talk to his wife often. Sometimes spend whole afternoon to with her, playing with her little toddler. And even though I was just a kid, she would talk to me a lot. Despite the abuse, her loyalty to him was fierce. Never understood all that.

I now think my childhood was very bizarre. Very happy but very bizarre. I have witnessed most bizarre things. I have compared my experience with many and no one I know had anything similar. Not even my own sibs as they were much older. I sometimes relate to the little girl from the movie earth.

stockolm syndrome

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:C'mon. Burns?? Beatings with leather belt?? I don't think it's as common as your question insinuates. We may be third world, but we're not THAT bad.

cigaratte burns might be extreme and indicate messed up psychosis of the parent but leather belt treatment was fairly common - similar to cane beatings elsewhere, including the "civilized world".

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 pm

BTW not sure why people are just talking about India, if you exclude cigarette burns and leather belt- caning was done in schools in all over England as well (probably still done in some catholic schools)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 pm

A slap on face and back is very, very, very comon among people from India. I would say 75% to 80% parents did it in 80s and 90s. Maybe 40% to 50% now in big cities.

I got it from parents and canning from teachers and don't feel bad about it.

Extreme hitting and torture has become less over the years due to frequent reportings in media.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:32 pm

read this, mrs menon: "My mom used to beat me and my brother with a leather belt and sticks (cane)." -- kinnera.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
read this, mrs menon: "My mom used to beat me and my brother with a leather belt and sticks (cane)." -- kinnera.

Also read this: My teachers used to hit on the knuckles and palms with a wooden ruler. The rulers used to break upon hitting the tender hands of little elementary school girls. A methodist school it was--kinnera

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm

kinnera wrote:

Also read this: My teachers used to hit on the knuckles and palms with a wooden ruler. The rulers used to break upon hitting the tender hands of little elementary school girls. A methodist school it was--kinnera

Those teachers were lucky there was no TV-9 around in those days. I wonder what the punishment levels are like these days.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:35 pm

kinnera wrote:

was your mother a methodist? what was/is her caste?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:50 pm

kinnera wrote:

reading comprehension problems? Read again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 pm

kinnera wrote:

Irrelevant.

This information is still not going to give you Access.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:01 pm

nevada wrote:>90%

75-90%

50-75%

25-50%

10-25%

<10%

I was a perennial beatie both at home and school. Hardly a day when I did not stand up on the bench and hardly day I escaped the cricket bat at home.

Seriously... Once, when i was in grade 5, I wore band aids on both my knees, my elbows, 2 across my lower legs, and one on my palm and walked like a terminator for 2 days (did not know Robot or terminator then). The ones on the legs were because I fell while playing in the deep foundation ditches that had been dug up for the new bus stand.

other than that, I was mostly a quiet kid..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 pm

there were several mustachioed sadists in the school i went to in kerala. they used to carry a cane around and indiscriminately whack the kids. i still remember mr.nambiar, a greasy haired, murukku meesai-ed(handlebar moustache?) creep who used to terrorize us. the women teachers used to hit the kids too, mostly with a 'wooden scale'. i vaguely recall my second brother being caned for my first brother not showing up for some test and my very upset and indignant mom, marching up to their school and raising hell for that stupid and illogical act. the 'schmuck', in that case, was a certain sister beatrice.

i moved to madras, nalla madras, soon after and no corporal punishment at the schools i went to there.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm

HAHA Certainly my Mom would have been in JAIL! She tortured us with a cane for making all of us swallow our food. Also kneeling down outside the house for half a day - if anyone of us got below 90% in Quaterly or Half-Yearly exams- that was only twice a year.

Also my elder sister for sibling bullying...not even a day went by without her biting or pinching or kicking or slapping or all those karate moves over me. She did got burns and scars on her legs for this by my Mom; but she never quit. Even today she bullies me.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

oh ya... when I was about 7-8, sis, 16-17, whacked me up left and right once. That was because I had taken a red pen, and colored the lips of ALL the pics in a new stardust magazine. I loved the color red then. I still remember coloring Rekha's lips on the cover. And I also remember it looking very ugly upon later reviews.

I vividly remember that beating. Visually it may have looked how Hulk beats up people. So anyway, last year I was telling all the kids how she did that to me. And that's when she said, 'yes, and you took your revenge soon enough'. I was like, how? So she said how I walked in when all her friends were visiting and told them an embarrassing secret about her. THIS part I had forgotten, even though I remember that embarrassing secret. So anyway, even after 30+ years, she managed to make ME feel guilty about HER beating me. She's an artist, really.

I am pretty sure that's the last time she ever beat me, at least like that. We have had scuffles, but I would hit back right away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 pm

LOL Nats you still feel guilty? But I did got back to her once and got hit and locked in the dark room for a day. When she was preg with her first kid...she was staying with us from the third month till her dd was about 3 years old. I was really happy that she left home and that didn't last. She being preg and all...and that day the marvelous day; we had electric malfunctioning switch in the bathroom.

She woke me up around 3:00 AM and asked me to switch on that light for her. It wasn't fixed for days and we were using a wooden cane (My Mom's property) to switch on and off. I was sleepy and asked her to use the cane...blah blah blah and yelled at her to pour water on that switch. Stupid her...she did and set the bathroom on fire. Everyone woke up and put off the fire. She told everyone that she just followed what I told her to do...coz she was sleepy and had to go...go.

Though I had to stay in the dark room for a day...I still felt happy.

Lately she called me 2 days after my bday and was arguing that whenever she calls - only then I had to celeb my birthday. She even manipulated telling me that all these days my bday is wrong and I have no clue about it. LOL I told her to shut up! Luckily I was on the phone.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

cigaratte burns might be extreme and indicate messed up psychosis of the parent but leather belt treatment was fairly common - similar to cane beatings elsewhere, including the "civilized world".

** wow, where did you grow up? and why did you guys put up with it? my family was in-between countries and i was in india for 6 mos, i think it was 5th grade (but i was younger cuz i had skipped two grades) that she enrolled me in, at a pvt school, and the math teacher hit me on my calves for doing my fractions in pencil. after that i just stayed at home for the rest of my time in india.

** my mom hit me once on upper arm when i was a teen and i gave her hell. it never happened again.

**my mom hit my sister more though, she once called 911. upto the age of 7, my sister frequently shop-lifted; it was always the chocolate. but after she grew up a little she began to understand that she had to pay.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:18 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

** wow, where did you grow up? and why did you guys put up with it? my family was in-between countries and i was in india for 6 mos, i think it was 5th grade (but i was younger cuz i had skipped two grades) that she enrolled me in, at a pvt school, and the math teacher hit me on my calves for doing my fractions in pencil. after that i just stayed at home for the rest of my time in india.

** my mom hit me once on upper arm when i was a teen and i gave her hell. it never happened again.

**my mom hit my sister more though, she once called 911. upto the age of 7, my sister frequently shop-lifted; it was always the chocolate. but after she grew up a little she began to understand that she had to pay.

## yikes, i was reading some of my old posts and i didn't realize i had said such a thing about my sister. the fact is that it really was my fault, i would point at something that i liked or wanted and mom would refuse to get it for me and so she'd tuck it in her dress pocket for me! we delighted in these little secrets. she really is amongst the most honest, loving people i know.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 am

pravalika nanda wrote:## yikes, i was reading some of my old posts and i didn't realize i had said such a thing about my sister. the fact is that it really was my fault, i would point at something that i liked or wanted and m, butom would refuse to get it for me and so she'd tuck it in her dress pocket for me! we delighted in these little secrets. she really is amongst the most honest, loving people i know.
madhulika sarma? maybe she was all that, but when she visited sulekha's chat room, she used to bare her fangs and snarl.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:14 am

pravalika nanda wrote:## yikes, i was reading some of my old posts and i didn't realize i had said such a thing about my sister. the fact is that it really was my fault, i would point at something that i liked or wanted and m, butom would refuse to get it for me and so she'd tuck it in her dress pocket for me! we delighted in these little secrets. she really is amongst the most honest, loving people i know.
madhulika sarma? maybe she was all that, but when she visited sulekha's chat room, she used to bare her fangs and snarl.

** i would say we all did that at one point or the other, i think chat was a treacherous place. she couldn't just roll over and die. and yes, she is all that.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down