Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevention

+3
MaxEntropy_Man
confuzzled dude
Petrichor
7 posters

Go down

Prevention  Empty Prevention

Post by Petrichor Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-mental-illness-conversation_n_2311009.html

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Prevention  Empty Re: Prevention

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm

I could be wrong but when I read this article yesterday, the first thought that crossed my mind was "why is she trying to be a doctor"; I'm a bit skeptical about her judgmental skills.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Not sure I understand - how did she try to be a doctor? I think most Indians would feel that she was a bit quick on the trigger but then we don't know the history fully. She did her best and drew a line in the sand when she observed a pattern repeating itself.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:09 pm

atcg wrote:Not sure I understand - how did she try to be a doctor? I think most Indians would feel that she was a bit quick on the trigger but then we don't know the history fully. She did her best and drew a line in the sand when she observed a pattern repeating itself.

I read it as she was sure that her son is having mental issues before even consulting a professional doctor. It is not reader's fault that she did not elaborate on the history in her blog, may be there wasn't much to.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Doesn't she mention somewhere that nothing has helped.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:Doesn't she mention somewhere that nothing has helped.

Well, she also stated that she threatened him that she will take him straight to the mental hospital if he can't listen to her.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
atcg wrote:Not sure I understand - how did she try to be a doctor? I think most Indians would feel that she was a bit quick on the trigger but then we don't know the history fully. She did her best and drew a line in the sand when she observed a pattern repeating itself.

I read it as she was sure that her son is having mental issues before even consulting a professional doctor. It is not reader's fault that she did not elaborate on the history in her blog, may be there wasn't much to.

Okay, time out - she did not know if he had mental issues that's why she took him to a hospital - to see what was wrong. She felt the behavior was weird and warranted a professional intervention. She is the mother - she can do it.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:35 pm

i am afraid this distracts and takes the focus away from where it should be -- gun control.

i am not convinced the US suffers from a higher incidence of mental illnesses than other developed countries. what is different is the access people have to guns.

sure we can and must do more for mentally ill people, but making sure that we restrict access to guns, especially access by mentally ill people is the most straightforward way of preventing gun violence.

what is appalling is the republicans have suddenly seized on this mental healthcare issue when they know the public is going to be pushing hard for gun control. apparently they like their guns more than the dollars they don't want to spend on (mental) healthcare.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:05 am

atcg wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Okay, time out - she did not know if he had mental issues that's why she took him to a hospital - to see what was wrong. She felt the behavior was weird and warranted a professional intervention. She is the mother - she can do it.

Absolutely, she has every right to do what she feels right , no one is denying that.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am afraid this distracts and takes the focus away from where it should be -- gun control.

i am not convinced the US suffers from a higher incidence of mental illnesses than other developed countries. what is different is the access people have to guns.

sure we can and must do more for mentally ill people, but making sure that we restrict access to guns, especially access by mentally ill people is the most straightforward way of preventing gun violence.

what is appalling is the republicans have suddenly seized on this mental healthcare issue when they know the public is going to be pushing hard for gun control. apparently they like their guns more than the dollars they don't want to spend on (mental) healthcare.

Exactly, Adam Lanza did not go to a store and buy a gun on his own, it was his mother who owned several guns and helped her son train. This blog is completely misplaced in that sense.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:44 am

confuzzled dude wrote:I could be wrong but when I read this article yesterday, the first thought that crossed my mind was "why is she trying to be a doctor"; I'm a bit skeptical about her judgmental skills.

No sir, you are not wrong. You are in fact, absolutely right. This is absolutely the first natural thought that should cross anyone's mind when they read this article. Dumb amateurs should not play doctor and try their hand at clinical diagnosis. The second thought: guns should be outlawed.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sure we can and must do more for mentally ill people, but making sure that we restrict access to guns, especially access by mentally ill people is the most straightforward way of preventing gun violence.

Damn right. And lest the mentally ill try to access other (sane) people's weapons, guns should mandatorily come with safety locks with sensors that can sense drunkenness, mental illness and PMS.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 am

Want the Truth Behind “I Am Adam Lanza’s Mother”? Read her blog.

http://sarahkendzior.com/2012/12/16/want-the-truth-behind-i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-read-her-blog/

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sure we can and must do more for mentally ill people, but making sure that we restrict access to guns, especially access by mentally ill people is the most straightforward way of preventing gun violence.

Damn right. And lest the mentally ill try to access other (sane) people's weapons, guns should mandatorily come with safety locks with sensors that can sense drunkenness, mental illness and PMS.

i don't understand. wouldn't making guns difficult to access in general also protect the public from trigger happy drunk people and PMS-ridden people?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I still couldn't believe that any kinda mental illness can lead someone to kill innocent Kindergarten kids and shoot them multiple times.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:55 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:I could be wrong but when I read this article yesterday, the first thought that crossed my mind was "why is she trying to be a doctor"; I'm a bit skeptical about her judgmental skills.

She is trying to be a Mom! It is not easy to deal with people with personality disorders - she is only an avg Mom who doesn't know how to deal with her situation.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am

Schools today do not have self-contained classrooms for children with special needs b/c the Feds took away funds. They are all main streamed and cannot function well, socially or academically. Some with severe emotional handicap have a one on one paraprofessional but when the kid loses control watch out! Some times the police have to be called to restrict these kids. There are instance where KG kids have brought guns to school for "Show and Tell" The article clearly describes kids with emotional problems.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down