Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mrs bagchi,

+6
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
bw
Kris
Rishi
Jeremiah Mburuburu
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

mrs bagchi, Empty mrs bagchi,

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 am

...could you please repost here the hindi movie video you posted about two weeks ago, in which a young shashi kapoor (i think) is wooing a woman in a (whitish?) sari as she walks along a wooded lane? not surprisingly, there's a lot of singing, running, skipping, dancing, blushing, etc. in it. in some scenes, the woman may also have been wearing churidaar pyjamas.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

mrs bagchi, Empty Re: mrs bagchi,

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 am

This? You wanna make fun of it so bad?

https://such.forumotion.com/t9047-thoda-ruk-jayegi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:28 am

Thoda ruk jayegi.....to pregnant ho sakti hai.....

- VillainvaBittu

I know very little Hindi.

Does it mean "..stop for a while.., i want to make you pregnant"?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 am

Rishi wrote:Thoda ruk jayegi.....to pregnant ho sakti hai.....

- VillainvaBittu

I know very little Hindi.

Does it mean "..stop for a while.., i want to make you pregnant"?

Close. It means "if you stop for a while...you might become pregnant".

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:This? You wanna make fun of it so bad?

https://such.forumotion.com/t9047-thoda-ruk-jayegi

>>>Hey, it works as self-parody! Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:52 am

[url=https://such.forumotion.com/t9047-thoda-ruk-jayegi
https://such.forumotion.com/t9047-thoda-ruk-jayegi[/quote[/url]]

thank you. i watched it when you first posted it, and thought it was pure harassment. most of all, i marveled at the woman - you - who dug up that video and wanted to share it with others here. what was your intent?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:19 am

damn, you win. Sad

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 am

This must have been the anthem of Vee Unkil's generation of "eve-teasers", replicated thereafter in a zillion movies in every language, and updated to even cruder versions these days (or so I hear, since I don't watch Hindi movies).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:This must have been the anthem of Vee Unkil's generation of "eve-teasers", replicated thereafter in a zillion movies in every language, and updated to even cruder versions these days (or so I hear, since I don't watch Hindi movies).

>>>> Need to cut some slack here. Just some light-hearted banter about impregnating the girl-- well, who among us hasn't tried this angle to make the fairer sex swoon during our courting days? Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:This must have been the anthem of Vee Unkil's generation of "eve-teasers", replicated thereafter in a zillion movies in every language, and updated to even cruder versions these days (or so I hear, since I don't watch Hindi movies).

oh, you part of the snooty crowd that watches only movies made by east european directors with unpronounceable names?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:00 am

bw wrote:

oh, you part of the snooty crowd that watches only movies made by east european directors with unpronounceable names?

Nah. That snooty crowd rejected my joining application for want of sufficient IQ.

I've come to the conclusion that Indian movies are all designed to make men want to go out and rape women. To insulate myself from all the impure thoughts those moviemakers try to incept into our minds, I now watch only children's movies. Happy Feet 2, Rio, Ice Age 4...etc.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 am

Slimy,
You are e stalking bagchi. You warned me about her current state of mind. Combined with your lurking habit, chat room related posts and remembering this post for two weeks, it appears there is some thing more in your mind. What is going on in your devious mind? Tell na.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

thank you. i watched it when you first posted it, and thought it was pure harassment. most of all, i marveled at the woman - you - who dug up that video and wanted to share it with others here. what was your intent?

haha, I knew this would come to that. My song postings come without any particular intent, and they rarely suggest my mood (or message) of the day. Some random song gets triggered in my head, and then it stays there. So I find that song on youtube, and post it here.

In this particular case, don't remember what may have triggered it, since it was a month ago. Quite likely I was saying those lines to someone who was saying bye.

Thoda ruk jayegi to tera kya jayega
nain bharke dekh lenge, chain aa jayega

meaning

what will you lose if you stay back for a while
(if you do then)
will get to look at you an eyeful
will get some peace of mind

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 am

Vb,
Tune, rafi. That was a nice song to hear.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am

There are many such songs in Hindi films. Sometimes they do encourage harassment (eve teasing) but this harassment is relatively mild. At most it involves singing the song to a girl on the street whom you do not know. The lyrics of these songs are not "dirty". There is the element of romance but there is nothing lewd about the song itself. Further I believe there are many such songs picturised on MGR in tamil movies.

I enjoyed listening to this song because I love the voice of Rafi I also enjoyed the music.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am

[quote="Jeremiah Mburuburu"]

https://such.forumotion.com/t9047-thoda-ruk-jayegi[/quote]

Do you know the context of the song to come to that conclusion? Maybe they both have some history prior to this song. She seems to be enjoying his attention, though is putting on some airs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 am

Rashmun wrote:

There are many such songs in Hindi films. Sometimes they do encourage harassment (eve teasing) but this harassment is relatively mild. At most it involves singing the song to a girl on the street whom you do not know. The lyrics of these songs are not "dirty". There is the element of romance but there is nothing lewd about the song itself. Further I believe there are many such songs picturised on MGR in tamil movies.

I enjoyed listening to this song because I love the voice of Rafi I also enjoyed the music.

Btw I am not denying the existence of C grade hindi movies but this was not one of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 pm

that shashi kapoor song was pretty mild. now watch this. i found this to be unbelievably horrendous in how it commodifies a woman.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

Nah. That snooty crowd rejected my joining application for want of sufficient IQ.

I've come to the conclusion that Indian movies are all designed to make men want to go out and rape women. To insulate myself from all the impure thoughts those moviemakers try to incept into our minds, I now watch only children's movies. Happy Feet 2, Rio, Ice Age 4...etc.

i get your point but do not underestimate the powerful effect movies/music/media have on the thinking of the masses.

sundakkais in chennai used to sing this song - am talking of boys who were barely 14.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:51 pm

my grand uncle used to call them powder boys (podi pasanga).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:56 pm

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

i get your point but do not underestimate the powerful effect movies/music/media have on the thinking of the masses.

sundakkais in chennai used to sing this song - am talking of boys who were barely 14.

pure harassment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

I didn't listen to the song, but our inhouse experts have opined that mild harassment is fine as long as it's sung by an approved singer and they like the music. Is this also sung by Rafi? Rafi is certified a-ok.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I didn't listen to the song, but our inhouse experts have opined that mild harassment is fine as long as it's sung by an approved singer and they like the music. Is this also sung by Rafi? Rafi is certified a-ok.

Merlot do you understand hindi? I just want to know whether you are able to discriminate between filthy lyrics and harmless lyrics in a Hindi song.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Do lyrics matter when the hero is clearly harassing the heroine? Should the victim of the harassment feel very good that the lyrics were "harmless" and sung very melodiously by an approved singer?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I didn't listen to the song, but our inhouse experts have opined that mild harassment is fine as long as it's sung by an approved singer and they like the music. Is this also sung by Rafi? Rafi is certified a-ok.

am sure it is not rafi. the women is being called a tapioca. not sure if that is an acceptable term of endearment.

Last edited by bw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Do lyrics matter when the hero is clearly harassing the heroine? Should the victim of the harassment feel very good that the lyrics were "harmless" and sung very melodiously by an approved singer?

Lyrics do matter when it comes to roadside Romeos harassing girls by singing these songs. It is one thing to sing Lal chadi maidan khadi and another to sing dalunga dalunga Sajni main dalunga. The first is harmless while the second is definitely offensive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that shashi kapoor song was pretty mild. now watch this. i found this to be unbelievably horrendous in how it commodifies a woman.

How about Padma Lakshmi posing naked?

Does it not "commodify" her? Or does she commodifies herself?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 pm

i think the singer is the music director himself - ilayaraja.

i have to confess, that prior to the horrific recent incident, i haven't really thought of that song as a prelude to a rape. having grown up in small town TN, i can tell you that there is HUGE stigma, at least in the 80s there was, attached to healthy social interactions between boys and girls. this sort of behavior did happen occasionally in real life. i suppose you could call it strength in numbers. seen in the light of a different sensibility acquired by growing up and having a richer world experience than was afforded me during my semi-rural boyhood, i would definitely label this harassment. but IMO both this song and the shashi kapoor song do not rise to the abomination that is alhar mast jawani.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that shashi kapoor song was pretty mild. now watch this. i found this to be unbelievably horrendous in how it commodifies a woman.

How about Padma Lakshmi posing naked?

Does it not "commodify" her? Or does she commodifies herself?

are there men pawing at her in those pictures?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think the singer is the music director himself - ilayaraja.

i have to confess, that prior to the horrific recent incident, i haven't really thought of that song as a prelude to a rape. having grown up in small town TN, i can tell you that there is HUGE stigma, at least in the 80s there was, attached to healthy social interactions between boys and girls. this sort of behavior did happen occasionally in real life. i suppose you could call it strength in numbers. seen in the light of a different sensibility acquired by growing up and having a richer world experience than was afforded me during my semi-rural boyhood, i would definitely label this harassment. but IMO both this song and the shashi kapoor song do not rise to the abomination that is alhar mast jawani.

I was more offended by the tamil song than by alhar mast jawani because the former show a young girl being harassesed by young boys. In alhar mast jawani the people shown in the song are all adults.

Incidentally the dancer in alhar mast jawani is now Mrs Sanjay Dutt.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think the singer is the music director himself - ilayaraja.

I was more offended by the tamil song than by alhar mast jawani because the former show a young girl being harassesed by young boys. In alhar mast jawani the people shown in the song are all adults.

Incidentally the dancer in alhar mast jawani is now Mrs Sanjay Dutt.

sorry rashmun i just don't feel that way. the former is high jinx by a bunch of hormonal teenagers, the latter is a horde of creepy uncles trying to feel a woman up.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Do lyrics matter when the hero is clearly harassing the heroine? Should the victim of the harassment feel very good that the lyrics were "harmless" and sung very melodiously by an approved singer?

Lyrics do matter when it comes to roadside Romeos harassing girls by singing these songs. It is one thing to sing Lal chadi maidan khadi and another to sing dalunga dalunga Sajni main dalunga. The first is harmless while the second is definitely offensive.

Ok. Just send out the memo to women that while they should be offended by things that offend you, lal chadi has your stamp of approval and that they should not be offended by roadside romeos singing approved songs.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Ok. Just send out the memo to women that while they should be offended by things that offend you, lal chadi has your stamp of approval and that they should not be offended by roadside romeos singing approved songs.

I am sharing my perspective. I am not forcing my perspective on others. On another note, could you please tell me whether you understand hindi? This discussion is meaningless if you are unable to comprehend Hindi since I am talking of Hindi film songs in my posts. Do you know what is meant by the words dalunga dalunga, Sajni main dalunga?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:50 pm

listening to hindustani music, i know sajan is beloved for a man, so sajni is beloved for a woman?

"i'll put it, i'll put it, i'll put it in my beloved?"
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:listening to hindustani music, i know sajan is beloved for a man, so sajni is beloved for a woman?

"i'll put it, i'll put it, i'll put it in my beloved?"

Yes. Basically "I'll put my lingam into your yoni".

The song goes like this:

Dalunga dalunga, Sajni main dalunga,
Dalunga dalunga dalunga dalunga

Dalunga dalunga Sajni main dalunga
Nau lAkh ka haar tere gale mien dalunga

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:57 pm

and the last line, i'll put a nine lakh necklace around your neck?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and the last line, i'll put a nine lakh necklace around your neck?

Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

pure harassment.

>>>>Even to the audience.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and the last line, i'll put a nine lakh necklace around your neck?

Yes.

why is this offensive?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes.

why is this offensive?

because he did not account for inflation.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 pm

artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes.

why is this offensive?

you mean, 9 lacs doesn't buy one much these days?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:

both are 'harmless' if all they do is sing but it doesn't really matter what they sing - they have no business harassing a person if all this loveydoveyness isn't encouraged and reciprocated.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes.

why is this offensive?

It is offensive until you sing the last line. What if a roadside Romeo does not sing the last line and prefers to hum instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 pm

bw wrote:
artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes.

why is this offensive?

yeah. "naulakha haar" was promised long ago. There was a Hindi movie by that name in 1953. 60 years and no increase in valuation has to be offensive to someone. We finally found that someone.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 pm

i know women who would be offended that the sum being expended on the necklace is too little.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i know women who would be offended that the sum being expended on the necklace is too little.

damn. i haven't got a necklace, expensive or cheap. let me go get offended for that before i start questioning the amount spent.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes.

why is this offensive?

>>>> Putting the "nine lakh" necklace around her neck is a nice gesture, but maybe he wants her dad to pay the credit card bill.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 pm

artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes.

why is this offensive?

yeah. "naulakha haar" was promised long ago. There was a Hindi movie by that name in 1953. 60 years and no increase in valuation has to be offensive to someone. We finally found that someone.

I should have been money minded when I was younger. Too late to regret now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

both are 'harmless' if all they do is sing but it doesn't really matter what they sing - they have no business harassing a person if all this loveydoveyness isn't encouraged and reciprocated.

Lal chadi maidan khadi the shammi kapoor song is an iconic song and I met an old aunt recently who said she would be teased by roadside Romeos when she would wear a red dress at the time the song was released. This came up because we were watching old Hindi movie songs together. From I could gather she found it mildly annoying. And yet here she was happy to watch shammi kapoor in the song once again.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

the stadium stood up upon seeing a red tree? doesn't make any sense.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next