Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mrs bagchi,

+6
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
bw
Kris
Rishi
Jeremiah Mburuburu
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

mrs bagchi, - Page 2 Empty Re: mrs bagchi,

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i know women who would be offended that the sum being expended on the necklace is too little.

damn. i haven't got a necklace, expensive or cheap. let me go get offended for that before i start questioning the amount spent.

You missed your window of opportunity.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:

why is this offensive?

because he did not account for inflation.

you mean, 9 lacs doesn't buy one much these days?

yeah. "naulakha haar" was promised long ago. There was a Hindi movie by that name in 1953. 60 years and no increase in valuation has to be offensive to someone. We finally found that someone.

I should have been money minded when I was younger. Too late to regret now.

yup opportunity lost. You can be happy thinking that the currency is not specified.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm

lal chhadi = red stick
maidan khadi = standing on the ground

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Do lyrics matter when the hero is clearly harassing the heroine? Should the victim of the harassment feel very good that the lyrics were "harmless" and sung very melodiously by an approved singer?

Lyrics do matter when it comes to roadside Romeos harassing girls by singing these songs. It is one thing to sing Lal chadi maidan khadi and another to sing dalunga dalunga Sajni main dalunga. The first is harmless while the second is definitely offensive.

both are 'harmless' if all they do is sing but it doesn't really matter what they sing - they have no business harassing a person if all this loveydoveyness isn't encouraged and reciprocated.

Lal chadi maidan khadi the shammi kapoor song is an iconic song and I met an old aunt recently who said she would be teased by roadside Romeos when she would wear a red dress at the time the song was released. This came up because we were watching old Hindi movie songs together. From I could gather she found it mildly annoying. And yet here she was happy to watch shammi kapoor in the song once again.

There is always a song...

in some era it was "oye oye"

in another "aati kya khandala"
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:01 pm

artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i know women who would be offended that the sum being expended on the necklace is too little.

damn. i haven't got a necklace, expensive or cheap. let me go get offended for that before i start questioning the amount spent.

You missed your window of opportunity.

i will simply have to point out the history of injustice meted out to me and hope for the best. wish i had known of such/sulekha and all you sage people at the right time.

Last edited by bw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the stadium stood up upon seeing a red tree? doesn't make any sense.

he is just talking about pole dancing in a stadium
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:lal chhadi = red stick

still don't get it. must be some cultural innuendo that i'm missing. so chhadi is stick, not tree?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Do lyrics matter when the hero is clearly harassing the heroine? Should the victim of the harassment feel very good that the lyrics were "harmless" and sung very melodiously by an approved singer?

Lyrics do matter when it comes to roadside Romeos harassing girls by singing these songs. It is one thing to sing Lal chadi maidan khadi and another to sing dalunga dalunga Sajni main dalunga. The first is harmless while the second is definitely offensive.

both are 'harmless' if all they do is sing but it doesn't really matter what they sing - they have no business harassing a person if all this loveydoveyness isn't encouraged and reciprocated.

Lal chadi maidan khadi the shammi kapoor song is an iconic song and I met an old aunt recently who said she would be teased by roadside Romeos when she would wear a red dress at the time the song was released. This came up because we were watching old Hindi movie songs together. From I could gather she found it mildly annoying. And yet here she was happy to watch shammi kapoor in the song once again.

your aunt may have found it mildly annoying but there may be others who find it more than mildly annoying. my point is that lyrics and the song have nothing to do it. also, these roadside romeos aren't exactly shammi kapoors and other assorted heartthrobs of the time though they like to imagine themselves to be so.

Last edited by bw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the stadium stood up upon seeing a red tree? doesn't make any sense.

Lal chadi maidan khadi
Kya khoob khadi kya khoob ladi

Hum dil se Gaye hum Jaan se Gaye
Bas aankh ladi aur baat badi

The red stick standing on the grounds
How well she stands how well she fights

I lost my heart and my life (to her)
Our eyes met and the story continued

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm

he calls her a stick? a red stick? how unromantic.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:lal chhadi = red stick

still don't get it. must be some cultural innuendo that i'm missing. so chhadi is stick, not tree?

he is singing about her, but pretending to be talking about the red stick in his hand.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

your aunt may have found it mildly annoying but there may be others who find it more than mildly annoying. my point is that lyrics and the song have nothing to do it. also, these roadside romeos aren't exactly shammi kapoors and other assorted heartthrobs of the time though they like to imagine themselves to be so.

you hit the nail on the head.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm

now i'm going to date myself, but here is one from my era with the same stick theme:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm

bw wrote:he calls her a stick? a red stick? how unromantic.

>>>Perhaps a fellow enamored with communism and twiggy-esque women Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm

There is a deliberate ambiguity involved in the song since he is holding a red stick in his hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Rashmun wrote:

There is a deliberate ambiguity involved in the song since he is holding a red stick in his hand.

he really should have been holding something else, maybe a red flower of something - a stick? bah!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:now i'm going to date myself, but here is one from my era with the same stick theme:

hated this song... also the other that goes 'chikni chikni patli kamar aise na hila' that came out later for the same movie.... all my friends in my 11th-12th class would tease me with that song, coz I hated it. By that time they had witnessed all kinds of stalking being done on me by boys in coaching classes. And at the time had a very tiny waist (haha). So any girl would jump on me from behind, grabbing my waist with one hand and sing that. ugh.

Anyways, the one I literally didn't like was this one, that came much later. Song is 'fine', but the video is something else.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

he really should have been holding something else, maybe a red flower of something - a stick? bah!

ahh.. you got mildly annoyed too. It is the song not the taporis.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I suppose red stick could be considered a metaphor for a sassy woman in the context of this song. Also the heroine is wearing a red dress.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

so we have all grown up with the same swill. good to know.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:now i'm going to date myself, but here is one from my era with the same stick theme:

hated this song... also the other that goes 'chikni chikni patli kamar aise na hila' that came out later for the same movie.... all my friends in my 11th-12th class would tease me with that song, coz I hated it. By that time they had witnessed all kinds of stalking being done on me by boys in coaching classes. And at the time had a very tiny waist (haha). So any girl would jump on me from behind, grabbing my waist with one hand and sing this. ugh.

Anyways, the one I literally didn't like much later was this one. Song is 'fine', but the video is something else.

There used to be one such song in every movie back then. It was the "item number" of that era.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm

but IMO a world of difference between high jinx and male pawing at a lone woman. that is disgusting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm

artood2 wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

ahh.. you got mildly annoyed too. It is the song not the taporis.

tapori = roadside romeo?

nah, i am just commenting on the lack of creativity in the lyrics. stick, flower, 9 lac necklace - all are annoying if they come from unwanted beings.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 pm

This song is very relevant to many recent discussions
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:00 am

I think the lal chadi Shammi Kapoor video would play rather well in the Castro district here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
thank you. i watched it when you first posted it, and thought it was pure harassment. most of all, i marveled at the woman - you - who dug up that video and wanted to share it with others here. what was your intent?
haha, I knew this would come to that. My song postings come without any particular intent, and they rarely suggest my mood (or message) of the day. Some random song gets triggered in my head, and then it stays there. So I find that song on youtube, and post it here.

In this particular case, don't remember what may have triggered it, since it was a month ago. Quite likely I was saying those lines to someone who was saying bye.
mrs bagchi, thank you for the explanation; it was quite revealing. you say, "My song postings come without any particular intent,... Some random song gets triggered in my head, and then it stays there. So I find that song on youtube, and post it here." in other words, your song postings are entirely instinctive. i am glad, because the mental process you describe tends to be a reflection of your true self.

the northindian woman is largely alien to my experience. still, i am curious. i suspect that the video you posted - of rishi kapoor harassing, physically restricting the movements of a college girl, pulling at her clothes, and making her stumble and fall - is from the seventies, and you were either not yet born or still an infant. how then did that song-and-dance pop into your head so instinctively when you were saying goodbye to someone?

were you subjected to a barrage of such hindi movies day in and day out? by whom? your mother? your much-older sister? you gave us the impression that your mother is an educated woman. could you confirm that? perhaps there's a vast difference between what each of us considers "educated" or "civilized."

may i also ask you whether scenes such as the ones you posted represent love and romance to you and your culture? does it excite you and your northindian relatives and friends to watch a good-looking young man harasss a well-dressed, good-looking young woman, and engage in acts that verge on the violent? in other words, does a mix of sex and violence excite you and the people of your culture?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
thank you. i watched it when you first posted it, and thought it was pure harassment. most of all, i marveled at the woman - you - who dug up that video and wanted to share it with others here. what was your intent?
haha, I knew this would come to that. My song postings come without any particular intent, and they rarely suggest my mood (or message) of the day. Some random song gets triggered in my head, and then it stays there. So I find that song on youtube, and post it here.

In this particular case, don't remember what may have triggered it, since it was a month ago. Quite likely I was saying those lines to someone who was saying bye.
mrs bagchi, thank you for the explanation; it was quite revealing. you say, "My song postings come without any particular intent,... Some random song gets triggered in my head, and then it stays there. So I find that song on youtube, and post it here." in other words, your song postings are entirely instinctive. i am glad, because the mental process you describe tends to be a reflection of your true self.

the northindian woman is largely alien to my experience. still, i am curious. i suspect that the video you posted - of rishi kapoor harassing, physically restricting the movements of a college girl, pulling at her clothes, and making her stumble and fall - is from the seventies, and you were either not yet born or still an infant. how then did that song-and-dance pop into your head so instinctively when you were saying goodbye to someone?

were you subjected to a barrage of such hindi movies day in and day out? by whom? your mother? your much-older sister? you gave us the impression that your mother is an educated woman. could you confirm that? perhaps there's a vast difference between what each of considers "educated" or "civilized."

may i also ask you whether scenes such as the ones you posted represent love and romance to you and your culture? does it excite you and your northindian relatives and friends to watch a good-looking young man harasss a well-dressed, good-looking young woman, and engage in acts that verge on the violent? in other words, does a mix of sex and violence excite you and the people of your culture?

JM are there no tamil songs depicting MGR harassing, restricting the movements of a collge girl, and making her stumble and fall?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:perhaps there's a vast difference between what each of us considers "educated" or "civilized."
Yes, there is.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

were you subjected to a barrage of such hindi movies day in and day out? by whom? your mother? your much-older sister? you gave us the impression that your mother is an educated woman. could you confirm that? perhaps there's a vast difference between what each of considers "educated" or "civilized."

JM are there no tamil songs depicting MGR harassing, restricting the movements of a collge girl, and making her stumble and fall?
i don't know, rashmun. and if there were any, i wouldn't instinctively post links to them. i am not, and have never been in the habit of watching tamil or hindi movies.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm

JM,

We watched all those songs on doordarshan, and watched all those movies too, either on doordarshan, or on the big screen in the village, where they would show old movies every sunday.

Old hindi movie dialogs and songs come to me instinctively all the time. Even when I am posting on forums. It's lost on you coz you are not familiar with it. Others who are, get it.

My mother is educated and civilized. She is also a hindi movies fan. Audience don't represent every character in every movie, and can definitely watch the movies without being expected to act the same way in real life. They are also not expected to enjoy each and every scene in a movie, even if they like the movie on the whole. I am sure you are civilized enough to know that, JM.

Those acts don't seem like verging on 'violence'. Why did they show that way? I guess in those times, girls and boys didn't talk normally in most towns. 'Good' girls were not supposed to look at boys and initiate convervasions. But if teased, they would definitely react. And once they react, either that itself would feel like you have communicated, or that may start a relationship, bonus.

So boys acted goofy in order to get attention. Men have done stupid stuff to get a woman's attention throughout civilization.

Maybe the same was reflected in the movies, in a more dramatized way. Movie characters are shown a little larger than life anyway. If you ask my opinion, it looks more childish than violent. Such big men acting so childish. Atleast that's what my mom would complain while we watched movies together.

Maybe that was accepted in movies in that generation. Or maybe, I am entirely wrong about the culture. Maybe one such song became a hit, and 10 dozen movies copied the 'formula' and showed it in other creative ways. By 90s is when it became entirely stupid. The cuteness factor of the 70s was gone. This has definitely changed now. I don't remember an eve-teasing song in movies since last decade. There is so much more to fit in in now-shorter movies. Much easier to show them meeting in different ways. Besides, not too many boy-meets-girl scripts either.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:i suspect that the video you posted - of rishi kapoor harassing,...
correction: shashi kapoor.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote: I don't remember an eve-teasing song in movies since last decade. There is so much more to fit in in now-shorter movies.

yes they've been replaced by alhar masth jawani.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 pm

frankly, the shashi kapoor song though it was silly, seems like a barney the purple dinosaur episode compared with what passes for romancing in indian movies these days. whenever i have gone back to india the last couple of decades, it has always amazed me that multigenerational families -- grandmothers down to kindergartners all assemble in front of the idiot box and watch the alhar masth jawani type of movie sequences without missing a beat. the only one squirming with embarrassment in the room to look at that image with an eighty year old woman in the room is yours truly.

there is something deeply messed up with the collective indian psyche. actual sex in movies is still difficult to get through the censors, but not heaving bosoms, pelvic thrusts, and grabbing male paws. rape is just A-ok. i don't think this is about just bombay cinema. tamil cinema is full of the same crap.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:frankly, the shashi kapoor song though it was silly, seems like a barney the purple dinosaur episode compared with what passes for romancing in indian movies these days. whenever i have gone back to india the last couple of decades, it has always amazed me that multigenerational families -- grandmothers down to kindergartners all assemble in front of the idiot box and watch the alhar masth jawani type of movie sequences without missing a beat. the only one squirming with embarrassment in the room to look at that image with an eighty year old woman in the room is yours truly.

there is something deeply messed up with the collective indian psyche. actual sex in movies is still difficult to get through the censors, but not heaving bosoms, pelvic thrusts, and grabbing male paws. rape is just A-ok. i don't think this is about just bombay cinema. tamil cinema is full of the same crap.

saar, before you make other recently discovered grand pronouncements from that ivory perch of yours, please find us a counter example of a culture encompassing, say, half a billion ppl that you feel isnt 'messed up".

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:JM,

We watched all those songs on doordarshan, and watched all those movies too, either on doordarshan, or on the big screen in the village, where they would show old movies every sunday.

Old hindi movie dialogs and songs come to me instinctively all the time. Even when I am posting on forums. It's lost on you coz you are not familiar with it. Others who are, get it.

My mother is educated and civilized. She is also a hindi movies fan. Audience don't represent every character in every movie, and can definitely watch the movies without being expected to act the same way in real life. They are also not expected to enjoy each and every scene in a movie, even if they like the movie on the whole. I am sure you are civilized enough to know that, JM.

Those acts don't seem like verging on 'violence'. Why did they show that way? I guess in those times, girls and boys didn't talk normally in most towns. 'Good' girls were not supposed to look at boys and initiate convervasions. But if teased, they would definitely react. And once they react, either that itself would feel like you have communicated, or that may start a relationship, bonus.

So boys acted goofy in order to get attention. Men have done stupid stuff to get a woman's attention throughout civilization.

Maybe the same was reflected in the movies, in a more dramatized way. Movie characters are shown a little larger than life anyway. If you ask my opinion, it looks more childish than violent. Such big men acting so childish. Atleast that's what my mom would complain while we watched movies together.

Maybe that was accepted in movies in that generation. Or maybe, I am entirely wrong about the culture. Maybe one such song became a hit, and 10 dozen movies copied the 'formula' and showed it in other creative ways. By 90s is when it became entirely stupid. The cuteness factor of the 70s was gone. This has definitely changed now. I don't remember an eve-teasing song in movies since last decade. There is so much more to fit in in now-shorter movies. Much easier to show them meeting in different ways. Besides, not too many boy-meets-girl scripts either.
Mrs Bagchi wrote:We watched all those songs on doordarshan, and watched all those movies too... Old hindi movie dialogs and songs come to me instinctively all the time... My mother is educated and civilized. She is also a hindi movies fan.
i suppose, the "we" means the entire family. i'm amazed that your mother, who you say is educated and civilized, not only let you and your siblings watch movies in which good-looking heroes harass demure, pretty heroines as a way of winning their hearts, but did so enthusiastically. did your mother think that she was exposing you and your sister to the fine arts? were popular hindi movies the equivalent of hindustani classical and carnatic music in your home?
Mrs Bagchi wrote:Maybe that was accepted in movies in that generation.
for now, i'll give your mother the benefit of the doubt and say, perhaps. the movie is from the early 70s, and you may have watched it with your family around 1985 when you were about twelve, but you posted it here in 2012! mrs bagchi, what have you been doing with yourself in the intervening twenty-seven years?!? with your mind, that is.

did you spend any time introspecting about women, their relationships with men - beyond how to ensnare men and how to attract them with coyness and multiple layers of makeup - about women's independence, intellectual development, and potential contributions to society? or has mr singh provided you all the counsel you need?

Last edited by Jeremiah Mburuburu on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2